Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a new Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 in 9mm. I never set out to get one of these, in fact, the gun wasn't even on my radar but I wanted a compact 9mm and I got a great price on it, $240 out the door including tax and fees with a $20 off coupon. That's less then the price of a Ruger LCP at some stores. I intended this to be a temporary CCW until I can get something better.

I already did some research as to it's reliability before purchasing, and the reviews were mostly stellar in that regard. So at that price, I was willing to give it a try and accept whatever flaws it might have. It turns out that I'm really liking the feel of this gun. It fits my hand perfectly and is overall very well balanced. The polymer frame has little oval recesses in it to rest your thumb as well as your index finger when it is off the trigger, which I like. The grip has some aggressive stippling on it, maybe a bit too aggressive as the palm of my hand was a bit sore the next day after handling it. However, my hand is now toughing up and getting use to it so that shouldn't be be an issue.

There is a small picatinny rail on it for accessories, amazing at this price point but I may never utilize it as it's main purpose is for CCW. Still, it's nice to have the option. It has an external safety which is very easy to sweep on or off, if you're inclined to use such things. The sights are standard three dots and the rear sight can be adjusted for windage and elevation. The sights are polymer, as is the dual spring guide rod. The edges are all nice and smoothly rounded, with nothing that I can see that looks like it might snag. It also has a loaded chamber indicator. Total ammo capacity is 12+1 in 9mm, more then adequate in a gun this size. It includes two 12 rd. mags and they drop freely and load easily.

The trigger is OK, not great, and may be the guns biggest flaw, but not a deal breaker by any means. When I first tried out the trigger, I thought there was something wrong with it as I couldn't get it to break. That's because I wasn't pulling back far enough, but it was fine once I figured it out and got used to it. I can see how this trigger might pose problems for people with large hands. I also would've preferred metal sights and a steel guide rod, no external safety and no LCI but at this price I really can't complain.

Now the all important question, how did it perform at the range? I can't answer that as I just got it and haven't shot it yet. I am currently getting to know the pistol, running snap caps through it and working the trigger, which feels to be smoothing out a bit as a result. Most reviews on this pistol are saying it's very reliable. I haven't came across much of anything yet in the way of ammo malfunctions so I'm not anticipating having any major issues with that. I have heard that the polymer guide rod has failed on some pistols but an all steel aftermarket one is available from LakeLine LLC, which I am thinking about ordering. If I come across any issues with the gun at the range, I will report back back here.

This is a pistol looks to be a fantastic deal and a good carry gun for the price. I'm glad to see that Taurus appears to be improving and came out with a winner here.

*The photo shown is not my actual pistol but is identical to it in every way.

Firearm Gun Trigger Ammunition Gun accessory

·
Registered
43 Posts
The price to value ratio on those are great. Mine has been great with about 500 down the pipe. Size wise they are in between a Glock 26 and Glock 19 in size, ergonomic, and accurate for a small gun. The trigger on mine smoothed out very nicely after 200 rounds or so. I never bothered with the safety because of the long trigger pull. It took a bit of time getting used to the trigger pull but once I did I actually enjoyed it. Plus you get restrike capability. Good luck and enjoy your new Taurus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Congratulations!!!! I hope you enjoy your new pistol. I have read a lot of positive reviews on the PT111. Be sure to post a range report when you put some rounds through it.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
If you will clean and lube the trigger groups wear and pivot points after a few hundred rounds have been fired the trigger group will be smooth and a bit lighter . I have a daughter that carry's a pt111g2 for a couple years and its been 100% reliable . I did the first 400 rounds thru it and liked it better than a stock m&p9c my wife has . After market sig P226 mags will fit and function too for a high cap back up mag . Sights could be better but they get the job done for defensive needs . I never pulled a trigger twice . Learn to plunk test new ammo and chances of a failure to fire will be reduced even more as there is random junk ammo out there . .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Been looking at this gun on an off for a while.
Does the first trigger pull feel like you never know when it will finally break?
I had a rifle liek that and could never feel the shot coming until I moved the break point substantially.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Fun fact they take 20 round Sig 226 mags and they work fine in the gun ..I have photos if you want to see ..Also the full size pro mags the 17 rounders work in it and I think one other mag

It is one of the few semi auto Taurus I will own ( the other being the old pre lock tip up 25 and 22 and 92 clones as they have the lower safety on them) ...The re strike trigger takes some getting use it and it is a bit gritty and not that great but I will guess over time will get better

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I had 2 back when they first came out. One stainless and one blued. Sold them both, each for a lot more than I paid, to fund the purchase of a XD Mod2, but I miss my stainless G2. There weren't any aftermarket night sights for th e G2 back when I owned them which was one of the main reasons why I sold them. My Mod2 stainless was $500, and the G2 ,was $220. To be honest, I really didn't gain much more gun or anything else to justify the extra $280 I paid for the XD.

I actually didn't mind the S/A trigger. Mine wasn't that bad at all, but on the other hand, D/A (restrike) trigger was terrible. Very gritty and heavy.If

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
The triggers seem to be all over the place with the G2.

Mine is very light with some take up - crisp break - very short reset.

Like wrongrec said - the sig 226 18 and 20 rounders work perfectly in these pistols. Shapeway makes a 3d printed mag sleeve to work with the sig 226 mags.

There's a company called lakeline doing night sights and steel guide rods now as well.

Taurus is what it is - roll the dice or dont. But bang for the buck, its tough to beat if you get a good one. I did.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Fun fact they take 20 round Sig 226 mags and they work fine in the gun ..I have photos if you want to see ..Also the full size pro mags the 17 rounders work in it and I think one other mag

It is one of the few semi auto Taurus I will own ( the other being the old pre lock tip up 25 and 22 and 92 clones as they have the lower safety on them) ...The re strike trigger takes some getting use it and it is a bit gritty and not that great but I will guess over time will get better
I have for a while been considering a PT100 in 40. One of the few things I don't like about Beretta is the slide mounted safety. Taurus is using the original Beretta machinery that has loss patent rights on the original 92 and 96 models, and has placed the safety on the frame where it should be. Taurus is hit or miss on quality so I understand. I've heard many good things about the PT100, however.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have for a while been considering a PT100 in 40. One of the few things I don't like about Beretta is the slide mounted safety. Taurus is using the original Beretta machinery that has loss patent rights on the original 92 and 96 models, and has placed the safety on the frame where it should be. Taurus is hit or miss on quality so I understand. I've heard many good things about the PT100, however.
I recently fondled a used PT100 and was pretty impressed. They were asking $250, which I thought was very fair, but I wasn't in the market for a .40 so passed on it.

If I go back and it's still there, I might jump on it so I have a M9-ish gun in the stable.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Never had a lot of luck with Taurus. Hope yours is a lot better. Congrats on new pistol.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Very nice gun for the price. I almost went with the Taurus PT-111 G2 when they first came out. I like the stainless model.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had a friend's PT111 Gen2 for a couple of months. Shot a few magazines through it with no issues. I really like the way it fits in my hand. The oval cross section of the grip feels much better than a G26 or XD subcompact. I also like that you can get three fingers on the grip and find that it points quite naturally. There's a lot that I like about this little 12 shot pistol. However, the trigger breaks too close too far to the rear for my long, "piano player" fingers, adversely affecting my "combat accuracy". So, ultimately it was a no-go for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I actually had this gun last month (traded it in for a Glock 43, wanted something slimmer + lighter). I can't praise it enough! I understand that Taurus has a bad rep, however in the case of this awesome firearm I personally would say otherwise. Excellent purchase!

How are you liking it so far?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had my G2 for a while, bought out the door for $217. Over 800 rounds of different kind pf 9mm ammo, no isues. Buy a set of fiber optics sights (39.00) from from Lakeline LLC, easy to install,
single most improvement you can make. Also, been contemplating their Stainless Guide Rod kit, but I need to rethink that option.
Tool Rotary tool Machine

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a pt145. Not sure why I got rid of it. Bored I guess. Now they quit making them. That was a darn nice little heater.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought mine a year ago, it was a couple months before I got to shoot it (winter in Vermont) but when I did I fell in love. Watched for the "critics of Taurus" to start bashing, and there were plenty. Just went over 3,000 rounds with not one single issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts