Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I drove down to Prescott (an hour or so south of Flagstaff) today. There are more stores down there, and she was looking for shoes. So I said: "honey, while you're looking at shoes, I'll be at the local gun store". :wink:

Long story short, I picked up a new in the box Colt Defender - series 90 - also bought two Wilson Combat 7 round magazines with a .350" base pad for this model gun. Hoping it makes a nice concealed carry piece.

Here's a picture. Range report to follow.

View attachment 1730

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Colt Defenders are sweet! Don't care for the stock grips but they can magicly change quickly. I think you will love the gun for carry. I carry an Ultra CDP in a Max-Con V and I forget it is even there.

Nice pick up, I hope your wife found some shoes at least!

Ti.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Nice indeed. I really like the Colt "semi-extended" thumb safety. Congrats!! So,...when will we see a range report??? :image035:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Looks good Nick - guns are soooo much more fun than shoes too :wink: :35:

Just wondering tho - how many pairs of shoes equate to the gun and mag's ?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think you will really enjoy it. I've ran several rounds thru mine with out a hitch. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks - Will post a report as soon as I can - Read a pretty decent review of the Colt Defender last night at http://www.sightm1911.com/ so I'm happy to have found one.

P95Carry said:
Looks good Nick - guns are soooo much more fun than shoes too :wink: :35:

Just wondering tho - how many pairs of shoes equate to the gun and mag's ?? :eek:
She bought 2 pairs. Looks to me like I came out ahead. :image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Nice, my buddy really likes his too.

·
Administrator
143,964 Posts
Great Firearm

Congratulations!
Shoot it in good health!
Much Much nicer than a pair of shoes.:yup:

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
nice gun Nick..I have the same one, and it shoots like the devil.. 230 Gr federals get eaten up by mine... with not hitches

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Nice gun! If you ever change the grips I'd love to see a pic. I'd really like to get a small 1911 for carry and whenever I ask for advise, the Colt Defender comes up. It looks like the color of the frame is different than the stainless slide. Is it? An do you like the contrast? Would love to see some close up pics! Enjoy shooting and be sure to tell us how the recoil feels compared to a 5" 1911.

And if you don't mind me asking, how were you able to pick it up like that? In Missouri we have to get get a permit to acquire a handgun. So if I find a gun, I can put money down on it and then I have to get my permit (takes 3-7 days) and drive back to get the weapon. Costs 10 bucks and it's always approved, but it keeps you from picking up guns on the fly. The one time I went to a gun show, I got a permit to acquire before I went in case I found something. It's a pain!

From what I've read you won't have any problems with that weapon!

God Bless
Gideon

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gideon said:
Nice gun! If you ever change the grips I'd love to see a pic. I'd really like to get a small 1911 for carry and whenever I ask for advise, the Colt Defender comes up. It looks like the color of the frame is different than the stainless slide. Is it? An do you like the contrast? Would love to see some close up pics! Enjoy shooting and be sure to tell us how the recoil feels compared to a 5" 1911.

And if you don't mind me asking, how were you able to pick it up like that? In Missouri we have to get get a permit to acquire a handgun. So if I find a gun, I can put money down on it and then I have to get my permit (takes 3-7 days) and drive back to get the weapon. Costs 10 bucks and it's always approved, but it keeps you from picking up guns on the fly. The one time I went to a gun show, I got a permit to acquire before I went in case I found something. It's a pain!

From what I've read you won't have any problems with that weapon!

God Bless
Gideon
In Arizona, there's no permit or waiting period needed for handguns. If you have a CCW, you just fill out the paperwork in the store, and you're good to go. Without a CCW, all the FFL dealer does is make a phone call for an instant background check.

If you're interested, here's some further detail information on the Defender from the Colt site http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Defender.asp

By the way, I do like the contrast between the frame and the slide. I'll try to post some pics soon. :smilez:

- Nick

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Gideon, The frame is aluminum alloy and this is why you see the contrast in the frame and SS slide.

Also do you have your MO, CHL permit? PTA's are a major pain but with my CHL I get mine on the spot now. No waiting from my sheriff! Missouri is just backwards because even with a PTA you must pass the federal back ground check too and my FFL does it online and within a minute or two approval comes through. PTA's are a buch of BS!

Ti.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I do have my concealed carry license but I still have to fill out the paperwork, pay the 10 and wait a few days for the sherrif to sign it and I get my little yellow card. I think it's wrong and wish it wasn't so, but if our system was like your's in Arizona, I probably would have made more than few impetuas buys! :redface: knowing I have to go through the process makes me take that second 'think' which is probably a good thing for me! :rolleyes:

I've pretty much decided that whatever I get, it'll be the officer's frame w/a 4" barrel or close too it. The officer's frame fits me like it was made for my hand. I have a hard time concealing my full size SA Mil Spec and I intend to buy what I want right from the start. I bought the MilSpec thinking i could add to it if I liked it but the cost to build up a gun is way more than just buying it in the first place. Also I just can't afford one of the high end custom guns for 1500 or several thousand. So for right now, it's the Kimber Compact CDP but I'm going to look for one of these Cold Defenders to see it in person. I wish kimber had the lifetime warranty or better yet, that SA would re-introduce their compact with the 3.9" barrel. I wrote to them and suggested that they're missing out on what i would think would be a growing market but maybe I'm wrong and that's why they stopped selling the compact frame.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how it fires and seeing some more pics. I love seeing pictures of the weapons all of you have!

God Bless
Gideon

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Another Defender lover here.
Theyr are very easy to shoot as well as conceal.

- Janq

1 - 17 of 17 Posts