Defensive Carry banner

New EDC: Ruger LCR

8K views 32 replies 30 participants last post by  219Dave 
#1 ·
Yesterday I concluded my search for an EDC snubbie when I grabbed a .38 LCR from my LGS. They just got them in and they were asking $100 under MSRP. I shot it at the local range last night and really enjoyed it. Very manageable for its size and weight. I carried it all day today and absolutely loved it. I have been carrying a full size 9mm since I got my CCW, so it was nice to shave 3/4 pound from my belt. It is a very comfortable carry gun.

In case you can't tell, I'm pretty happy with it!

#3 ·
I've been carrying my LCR .38 special for about a month now and I love it. Joy to carry and a joy to shoot.

Using a leather IWB holster from Talon Training. They make an LCR specific holster.

H&K speed loader in my pocket for a reload. I'd like to try speed strips, once I find some.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
Great buy !!!! I got my lcr last week but finding a holster that fits with the lasermax centerfire is proving to be a challenge

#10 ·
Good choice! :smile: I have been debating on getting either a LCR or S&W J-frame for the wife who recently got her CWP (of course I may have to borrow it:biggrin2:).

#12 ·
One of the reasons I went with the LCR was to get a wife-freindly gun since she does not like my big 9. The LCR is supposed to have lower recoil than the Smiths due to the polymer and specially designed Hogue grips. When I shot it recoil was still noticeable, but very manageable for such a small/light gun. I would have no problem putting 100 rounds through it at the range.

#14 ·
I sold my J-frame many years ago. I'm seriously considering an LCR to "replace" it.

#15 ·
I switched to an LCR as my EDC back in December. I shot it regularly and had about 300 rounds through it up to about three weeks ago - and then, with one round left in the third cylinder full of the day, the gun went 'click' instead of 'bang'. It locked up solid, and I had to take it completely apart to get that last live round out. As I took it apart, the transfer bar fell out - in two pieces. Next day I called Ruger, and I've got to say they are absolutely first class on customer support. Told the rep what had happened, what I had to do to get the live round out, and she sent me a UPS label within 20 minutes. Off it went, and exactly 10 days from the time I dropped it off at the UPS store I had it back. New transfer bar, and a new cylinder release spring. Do not know if the spring was related to the breakage, but I've had it back to the range twice and it seems to function just fine. I'm a bit nervous about the problem, but I'm not going to swap it out for a different EDC just yet. I really like the gun, and I'm hoping I don't have any further issues with it.

Reactions: CSL
#16 ·
My wife replaced her SIG P238 Blackwood with a LCR-CT .38 cal. and loves it. My oldest daughter is now the proud owner of the SIG.

Reactions: NONAME762
#19 ·
Great choice. I sold off my S&W snubbies to buy a pair of LCR's. Much better trigger out of the box and I have been shooting snub noses for over 40 years. There is a difference between someone liking a trigger because that is what they are used to and liking it because it is better. :) If I may suggest, try some Remington Golden Saber 38 spl +P. Mild recoil and I have seen it outperform the Speer Gold Dots in ballistic gel several times. However, the Gold Dots are a good load also and you cannot go wrong with them either. I just prefer the lower recoil of the Sabers. Many will say it is an old design but it has improved and it still works reliably. I put a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips on mine, the short grip version, not the longer ones. This makes it easier to pocket carry and still provides a very comfortable recoil absorbing grip. Most times I do not even have my laser in the on position but I just love the grips.

#22 ·
I have the .38 version on my hip as I write this. The only problem is that it really belongs to my wife... I am saving up to get one of my own, the .357 version. After trying a few different semi-autos, I finally decided that the LCR is just too nice of a gun to not carry. I carry it in a brown leather C.O.W.S. Executive pancake-style holster, and it rides high and close enough that I can easily conceal it under an untucked shirt. Throw a speed strip in my pocket and I am good to go.

#24 ·
I carry the .357 LCR daily. Very satisfied. Carries like a dream and shoots like one too!

#26 ·
I also carry a LCR357 every day. Some days it is in my pocket backing up a SP101 or Taurus 357. This week it will be in the waist band with a 442 in my pocket. Yes I bought another no lock 442. I couldn't pass up the price and it just kept calling me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.