Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my wife the ex shield 9 as she is having some issues having enough strength to work the slide on her shield 9mm and Glock 19.
Now we got a chance to shoot it today and it seems to have some feeding issues, round hangs on the feed to( such a weak recoil spring in them)
I tried 147 gr hst, 147 gold dot, 115 gr Winchester white box and finaly 115 critical defense. All seem to do the same thing. Seems worse if there is the slightest limp wristing ( wife is having some issues) but did it with me as well just not as bad
I checked the feed ramp to see if there was any bird or machine marks and it's darn near a mirror polish.
Do what you think? Send it back to S&W.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not. The mags are pretty easy to load as well and not stiff like regular mags.

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every round seems rough like a clunk clunk, when the slide picks up a bully and it hits the feed ramp you hear the first clunk and then if it doesn't stop you get the second chunk when it Chambers and closes.
I know that's how guns function but everything we run is normally so smooth you just get the clunk when the slide closes. Just seems like the bullets are hitting the feed ramp hard.

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and it's got just under 200 rounds threw it today, probably 40% I had the bump the slide to chamber the round and about 5% of the time had to to clear the gun and rerack the slide, used 4 magazines

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Send it back! S&W will make it right!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I would send it to S&W. That said these "EZ" guns are designed to operate at the bare minimum spring strength to run the magazine and recoil springs in order to make them easier to manually operate but, it comes at the cost of reliable function if those springs are even slightly too soft. You can only push physics so far.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I think the problem is the never ending race for manufacturers to get the next newest,greatest
product out the door....And you can't really blame them for striking while the irons hot.
We as consumers can't wait for the next new product to hit the shelves.

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol I though with how well the 380 ez shield has done it wouldn't be a issue with the 9.thsts what I get for thinking .

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Yeah I've noticed that, got the return label a few minutes ago

James, maybe they will send you something extra like an extra mag or gift certificate when they ship it back? Trying to think positive amidst the aggravation of sending a new firearm back to the manufacture!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I backed away at the last minute from the .380 EZ when I read on the S&W forum how they were having many stovepipe the last round in the mag. They were talking magazines, but many had tried that with no success. It's a great concept if they can get this to work.

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
James, maybe they will send you something extra like an extra mag or gift certificate when they ship it back? Trying to think positive amidst the aggravation of sending a new firearm back to the manufacture!
It would be nice. I think S&W will get it sorted as they have always been pretty good. Just hoping the fix doesn't involve a much heaver recoil spring.
Seems thats the weak link but will see.

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a friend who got the ez 380 and that thing was great, no problems what so ever so thats why I jumped the gun and got her the 9mm.
Ether way you got to give props to S&W for trying to address the problem with shooters having a hard time working the slides. It has become diffident for my wife since all the chemo. BTW she is doing chemo again.
She used to could run what ever you handed her just fine and would even shoot my 44mag and 45 colt with monster loads lol

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I backed away at the last minute from the .380 EZ when I read on the S&W forum how they were having many stovepipe the last round in the mag. They were talking magazines, but many had tried that with no success. It's a great concept if they can get this to work.
I have two .380 EZ's and neither exhibit this behavior.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts