Defensive Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm very glad that many do and I'm sure that even the majority do. There were just too many citing problems for me to take the gamble right now. Just like the new Python. Maybe it has problems and maybe not, but there are over 134 pages of discussion over on the Colt forum about a few issues with it. I like to wait until all the bugs are worked out before I buy something. I hope Mr. Nelson's comes back working perfectly and is a blessing for his wife who now needs just such a firearm as the EZ. Prayers for her healing and recovery are also needed and will be prayed for.

·
Vendor
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm very glad that many do and I'm sure that even the majority do. There were just too many citing problems for me to take the gamble right now. Just like the new Python. Maybe it has problems and maybe not, but there are over 134 pages of discussion over on the Colt forum about a few issues with it. I like to wait until all the bugs are worked out before I buy something. I hope Mr. Nelson's comes back working perfectly and is a blessing for his wife who now needs just such a firearm as the EZ. Prayers for her healing and recovery are also needed and will be prayed for.
Thank you sir and God bless you

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
I didn't have problems with my EZ .380 through several hundred rounds - until 2 times ago at the range and the the last round in one (out of 6) magazines stovepiped. Came home and gave the magazines a good cleaning, especially the followers. Next time, no problems. Then the next time I had stovepipes from two of the magazines. Turns out that my nearest and dearest had helped me by loading my magazines but put only 7 rounds in each one instead of 8. SO this time I asked him to make sure that each mag had 8 rounds. And guess what? No malfunctions.

I always clean my guns if they look even a little bit dirty, but the past have not cleaned my magazines very often (if ever). I got so totally spoiled shooting my Glock 9mm's, which rarely needed to be cleaned and had magazines that literally never, ever got dirty even after years of serious shooting and being dropped on cement, gravel, dirt, etc.

But I absolutely cannot shoot double stack guns anymore and don't dare try to shoot any caliber higher than .380 if I want to keep what ability I have left in my left hand. The right hand got "retired" as my strong shooting hand 2 or 3 years ago but does OK as a support hand. Yes, I wear very good, substantial shooting gloves: PIG brand.

The old stuff ain't fun.

I currently have a younger friend (she's not quite 70 yet) who wisely chose a S&W .22 compact for her first gun. She will be getting ready to move up in caliber sometime and is doing OK now with recoil when she shoots my various .380's. She thinks she wants to buy a 9mm and I really would like her to try the EZ in 9mm IF it works reliably for most people. Fortunately she is in no hurry. She is not thinking in terms of self defense (yet). She just "likes to shoot!"

·
Vendor
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I didn't have problems with my EZ .380 through several hundred rounds - until 2 times ago at the range and the the last round in one (out of 6) magazines stovepiped. Came home and gave the magazines a good cleaning, especially the followers. Next time, no problems. Then the next time I had stovepipes from two of the magazines. Turns out that my nearest and dearest had helped me by loading my magazines but put only 7 rounds in each one instead of 8. SO this time I asked him to make sure that each mag had 8 rounds. And guess what? No malfunctions.

I always clean my guns if they look even a little bit dirty, but the past have not cleaned my magazines very often (if ever). I got so totally spoiled shooting my Glock 9mm's, which rarely needed to be cleaned and had magazines that literally never, ever got dirty even after years of serious shooting and being dropped on cement, gravel, dirt, etc.

But I absolutely cannot shoot double stack guns anymore and don't dare try to shoot any caliber higher than .380 if I want to keep what ability I have left in my left hand. The right hand got "retired" as my strong shooting hand 2 or 3 years ago but does OK as a support hand. Yes, I wear very good, substantial shooting gloves: PIG brand.

The old stuff ain't fun.
I hope they get it fixed and back soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Keep us posted. I think as a rule we should wait longer to buy new firearms, especially non Glocks. I waited over a year to buy a P365 when the bugs seemed to be ironed out. No issues. The EZ is a great concept, S&W should take care of you.

Best of luck to your wife, I'm not religious but I am thinking about her and wishing her a speedy recovery.

·
Vendor
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Keep us posted. I think as a rule we should wait longer to buy new firearms, especially non Glocks. I waited over a year to buy a P365 when the bugs seemed to be ironed out. No issues. The EZ is a great concept, S&W should take care of you.

Best of luck to your wife, I'm not religious but I am thinking about her and wishing her a speedy recovery.
Thank you and I sure will

·
Vendor
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok I got the gun back from s&w and was very disappointing, they had a list of things they "repaired" including polishing the feed ramp. I could catch a finger nail on the feed ramp with this freshly polished feed ramp. The gun did the same exact thing as before- would fail to eve strip a round from the magazine.
I figured since they didn't wouldn't or couldn't fix it the firt time around then I wasn't sending it a second time so I worked on it my self.
The gun absolutely would not feed Winchester pdx rounds before so that is the round I use to test my progress. You can not stop the gun from feeding right now even if you ride the slide up to 100% chambered with the winchester pdx rounds.

Anybody having issues with there Ez shield 9mm may wont to give the following a try as it worked great for me.

1 polish the feed ramp.
2 polish the breach face ( mine was rough).
3 polish the extractor and lightly break the edge that makes first contact with the cartridge.
4 other compress the mag springs completely for an extended period of time or tweak the mags. Now if you tweak the mags only do it on the far end (where the actual bullet faces) and no more than 1/16 to a 1/8 of that curved feed lip or else your mag may not be able to hold the bullets properly. but anyway just slightly widen the lips about 2 thousands of an inch, If you chose to mess with the feed lips be careful and only the forward edge. and finish up by polishing up any marks you marks on the mags if you make any.

Please don't follow this because I said so and really don't if your not mechanically inclined. When I say polish Im taking about flitz poling with a felt wheel and not really any metal removal. I don't think the mods I have made will even void the warranty - huh what a joke that was sending it back to S&W.

My ez shield 9mm now feed as smooth as butter, you cant keep it from feeding and I'm sorry but a gun used for self defense has to be able to function with a little limp wristing especially if it is marketed for folks who don't have the strength to work a slide.
I hope this helps. I am so disappointed with S&W on this gun with there repair and checking it off as passing there test.
I am no gun smith but did work with a class 3 dealer years ago (learned a lot) and I just applied a lot of the same fixes as was used on open bolt guns as they chamber and fire a round in one big cycle. No my gun don't fire when the slide closes lol.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
@NelsonHolsters THANK YOU, James, for the report of what you did to fix that 9mm Shield EZ after S&W didn't get it right!

Now I can tell my friend that it might be a good 9mm gun for her to have - if she can find one to rent first to see how she does with the recoil. She is getting used to the recoil of my Shield .380 EZ, so is getting close to being ready to "step it up a notch." She is still working on getting all the basics right every time while shooting her S&W .22 compact and is in no hurry.

And, BTW, she is the one who bought that other holster that you made for a Bersa BPcc........it works with the M&P and also with the shield.......so the two of us have matching holsters: Mine is left handed and hers is right handed!

·
Vendor
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@NelsonHolsters THANK YOU, James, for the report of what you did to fix that 9mm Shield EZ after S&W didn't get it right!

Now I can tell my friend that it might be a good 9mm gun for her to have - if she can find one to rent first to see how she does with the recoil. She is getting used to the recoil of my Shield .380 EZ, so is getting close to being ready to "step it up a notch." She is still working on getting all the basics right every time while shooting her S&W .22 compact and is in no hurry.

And, BTW, she is the one who bought that other holster that you made for a Bersa BPcc........it works with the M&P and also with the shield.......so the two of us have matching holsters: Mine is left handed and hers is right handed!
Im guessing that not all of them have the rough machining problem and they are probably sending out well used mags for all the video reviews I have seen as they keep on going.
I fired 150 rounds threw it today and even did my best to sloppy limp wrist it and it function 100% so with a little tweaking I think it will make a very reliable gun.
But as I found out it may be hit or miss right out of the box.
Oh and how I done the mags was with a pair of needle nose pliers just squeezed it till I felt a slight straitening, did mic them before I started. But if you can really bottom out and fully compress the springs for a couple weeks I think that would work as well.

Now my new RIA vr80 shot 75 rounds of high brass 1250 fps today and it was a single shot all the way lol, supposed to have a break in of something like 200 rounds with the heavy gas piston before changing it to the light gas piston. got to get a little hotter load for a while.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts