Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting one of these since KSF sent their ad to me over half a year ago.
With my sudden western/cowboy binge I figured I needed a good Bowie knife, so...

It's a hand forged Lon Humphrey Gunfighter Bowie. I like the hammer marks left behind. I think they give it a rustic look without artificial means. My one friend told me he can work with leather and has made sheaths for himself, so I'm going to see if he can make me something a little more period correct in case I want to slip it onto a gunbelt when I'm playing cowboy :smile:

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Wow! That is sweet!

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice PA, whats the steel, heat treat [ double quench/differentially heat treated? ]
It's 1095 carbon steel, Brownie. I don't recall the specs listing the hardness. It might say on his site.

ETA: on another 1095 knife I found 59-60 Rockwell.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I had to look him up, never heard of him before. He makes very nice knives! Has a bunch of different materials for handles but all the blades I saw have the rustic, hammered look. Very nice, might need to put one of them on my wish list.

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
It's 1095 carbon steel, Brownie. I don't recall the specs listing the hardness. It might say on his site.

ETA: on another 1095 knife I found 59-60 Rockwell.
59-60 is a little more than I'd care for with 1095. 57-58 would be better IMO, easier to sharpen, less apt to chip out the edge on hard tasks etc. Normally 59-60 is reserved for s/s blades made of mid grade or less steel to harden the blade enough to gain some edge retention.

Can't go wrong with 1095 steel for the most part. It's one of my favorite carbon steels for blades. That's about the limit on length for that steel, any longer and I'd prefer something like L6 which is more forgiving with lateral stresses applied.

It's a very nice blade PA. Wear it in good health.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Davey Crocket would approve!

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Bring on the bear. Very nice Pac. Kind of awesome actually. Going to visit his site.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Beautiful knife!

I like'em, but man, I just can't justify paying the price of custom knives.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys.

I hear ya on the price, Shootn, but I missed the boat before on a knife I really wanted and after a couple years had passed it was 800 more. This is really a lot of knife for the money... in my eyes. Plus I've needed a big knife ever since my Cold Steel Trail Master was stolen back in the nineties.
See how easy it is to talk myself into something :wink:

The Rustic Bravo with flat spine is calling to me...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
That is an attractive knife PA! Very attractive. I love that you can choke up on it too. I don't know though. I just don't know if I could bring myself to ever use it.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is an attractive knife PA! Very attractive. I love that you can choke up on it too. I don't know though. I just don't know if I could bring myself to ever use it.
For all I know it's only "use" will be saving the hair off the back of my hand when I took it out of the box :wink:

·
Administrator
144,767 Posts
OH......THAT IS NICE AS ALL GET OUT! :king:
Beautiful. :yup:
I can see exactly why you lusted after that one.

I would at least get a coat of brown leather dye on that sheath though.

Just the perfect amount of hammer forging on that blade though. Exceptional.
Nothing beats the look of a knife when everything is just right.

Use it in good health. :yup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts