Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a G43 this week and have a question. I've seen that there is an OEM G43 trigger connector "upgrade" - supposedly stock in all newly produced G43s, and makes for a better trigger pull than the ones produced for the first year or two. Does anyone know after what serial number all the G43's come with this upgrade? Would the Ghost connector be an even greater upgrade than this supposed "fix" by Glock?

Also, I plan to do IDPA-type shooting with mine. I obviously don't plan to compete with everyone running full size pistols, but I do want to to be decent with it. I just do it for fun, and because it forces me to practice. I don't want to totally embarrass myself though. I am decent with my Sig P320sc until I have to reach out to 15-20 yards, then I have to slow down and concentrate on the sights more. That said, what sights are you guys running for quick acquisition and follow up shots? I've read that while sights like the Trijicon HD's are good for accuracy in the 5-10 yard range, that because the front sight is so big, it isn't too great at being accurate in the 15-20 yard range. Is the TruGlo TFX Pro a fat front sight? I like the idea of a FO and Tritium combination. This will be my CCW, but again, I like to practice with my CCW just the same as other guys do with larger pistols.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I would wait and try the factory trigger before changing it. Fast, big dot sights are great closer , but as distance increases , they may well distract your focus. Again try shooting and using what the factory provides. Master the gun , then start thinking upgrades , if you feel you need them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've got TFX Pros on my G23 and I love them. Huge upgrade over the stock sights in my opinion. I don't think the front sight is fat at all. I actually wish it was a bit bigger. There is extra room with the front sight lined up in the U notch in the rear sight. The biggest thing I've noticed with them is practice where you line up the front dot with the U of the rear sight for 15+ yard shots. The smallest amount too far upward or downward on the line up seems to give shot placement a good 6" difference or more from where you want it. Also for installation, if you do not have a sight press just have a gun smith do it for $20...it'll save you a headache and time. I had to shave a lot of the tail off my rear sight to get it to slide on all the way. I was impatient and put the sights on myself without a sight press because I didn't want to wait a few days for a gunsmith to be available for it...bad decision on my part.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Like was already mentioned, work with the stock trigger for a while before you start throwing a Ghost setup in it. You may immediately like it and not even need to buy the extra stuff.

In regards to sights, the Truglo TFX Pro has a "fat" front sight similar to the Trijicon HD setup. Just like anything else though, it all comes down to personal preference. The HD setup is super fast close up, but when people say they're only good from 5-10 yards it is a cop out for bad fundamentals. Shooting at distance with the HD sights is no harder than using stock sights or any other equivalent.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No idea about what batches come with different triggers, but I have heard that it doesn't have the same feel as a standard glock. Much heavier I guess. If you shoot it well don't bother, but if yiu get some trigger time and want it a bit lighter then try a different connector. There cheap enough to give it a shot.(pun intended)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I looked at the Glock 43 when it first came out. The trigger pull on the two samples I tried at a gun shop were extremely stiff, too stiff for me to even consider, so I passed on buying one.

In late May of this year a gun shop got a new batch of G43s in with what they said was an improved trigger pull. I tried one of the new triggers and it felt great so I bought it. After shooting it for a week and really liking it, I went back and bought a second G43 for my wife and a G42 as a fun gun. The triggers on all three are very good (for a Glock), nothing at all like the first ones I tried and passed on.

Good luck with your new 43. I really like mine and have made it my warm weather carry in a Stealthgear AIWB holster.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I have trijicon HD on my Glock 19 and I can keep all my shots in the "0" of an IDPA target at 25 yards without issue with .4 and .5 Splits.

That said, something like a wilson combat vickers fiber optic or warren sight will give you more precision. But on a gun built for up close and personal, why set it up for "gun games" and not life saving scenarios? The trijicon HD sights are the best sights on the market in terms of quality, longevity, innovation, and durability. Learn to use them at long ranges and you become a real student of the gun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have trijicon HD on my Glock 19 and I can keep all my shots in the "0" of an IDPA target at 25 yards without issue with .4 and .5 Splits.

That said, something like a wilson combat vickers fiber optic or warren sight will give you more precision. But on a gun built for up close and personal, why set it up for "gun games" and not life saving scenarios? The trijicon HD sights are the best sights on the market in terms of quality, longevity, innovation, and durability. Learn to use them at long ranges and you become a real student of the gun.
Yea, I would imagine the longer sight radius of the 19 helps in that regard - makes the larger front sight slightly less of an issue.

The reason I want to set it up for "gun games" is, again, because I like to practice with what I carry. The chance that the bad guy is going to stand there and let me shoot him, should the situation arise, is highly unlikely. I'll use a bigger gun (actually considering a 19) for "gun games" as well, but I want to be good with the carry piece. As far as the sights go, if the bad guy is within 7 yards of me, I doubt I'd even use the sights. I'm pretty damn proficient drawing and double tapping at center mass at 3-5 yards with my 320sc, but the trigger is the best I have ever felt, and that helps a lot. It also weighs 6 ounces more. To practice that, I cut the center ring completely out of an IDPA target and draw and fire two shots as quickly as possible, over and over. I don't even use the sights. I rarely put one outside the hole with the Sig. I'm just skinny and have narrow hips, so the Sig is a pain in the ass for me to carry all day. Otherwise, I'd continue to carry it. Anyway, running this drill, I'm not too worried about the G43. I may not be as good as I am with the Sig right away, but I'm sure it wouldn't take long. This is why I want good sights for when I do reach out to longer distances, it will be accurate.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've got a buncha' parts for a buncha' guns as a result of my compulsive trial & error. I've even got both factory & aftermarket parts for guns that I don't even OWN anymore! And YOU'RE askin' if you should start buying parts for a gun that you haven't even SHOT yet?!? Thank You sooo much, you've made me feel...less foolish. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a buncha' parts for a buncha' guns as a result of my compulsive trial & error. I've even got both factory & aftermarket parts for guns that I don't even OWN anymore! And YOU'RE askin' if you should start buying parts for a gun that you haven't even SHOT yet?!? Thank You sooo much, you've made me feel...less foolish. :biggrin2:
Haha, trust me, I hear ya. I just know there's no way the trigger is on par with the P320, which I love - based on everything I've read, which is hours of googling/video watching. I've shot a G23 and hated the trigger. So if it's anything like that, I don't need to shoot it to know I'll want to change it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts