Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Glock gen4 19 , shot it for the first time today. At 10 yards I might have had 10 out of 45 rounds in a 6" circle. My XD subcompact was 15/15 from the same distance. Now I was using cheap ammo but the XD, Baby Eagle and even a Taurus 709 shot it fine and accurate. This was in the back yard. I'm going to try to go to the range tomorrow and put a few hundred rounds through it at 5 yards and see what happens. Do Glocks have to be broken in? I'm very disappointed so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Bought a new Glock gen4 19 , shot it for the first time today. At 10 yards I might have had 10 out of 45 rounds in a 6" circle. My XD subcompact was 15/15 from the same distance. Now I was using cheap ammo but the XD, Baby Eagle and even a Taurus 709 shot it fine and accurate. This was in the back yard. I'm going to try to go to the range tomorrow and put a few hundred rounds through it at 5 yards and see what happens. Do Glocks have to be broken in? I'm very disappointed so far.

They DON'T have to be broken in....however G's are not for everybody....I am an EX-GLOCK owner...8 or so years....and I had enough!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have a Gen 2 G19, so I can't compare with your experience. I don't recall having bad results such as you've reported. But, two things I did that improved my shooting experience greatly, as well as my results, was to put in a 3.5lb trigger bar and replace the serrated trigger with the smooth-face trigger for the G17.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just got my G19 gen 3 about 10 days ago...took it out to the back yard where I've built my own backstop for pistol shooting. 50 out of 50 on the splatter target, which I believe is a tiny bit bigger than 6"...about the size of a salad plate, maybe 7-8 inches, and at approx 10 yards. Mine is a gen 3, but can there be that much difference? My new G30SF, about two months ago, performed pretty much the same. I'm not necessarily a Glock guy. I own 3 of them, out of a stable of 9. My Kimber Ultracarry and my p938 tend to produce tighter groups, and my XDs 9mm 3.3in sometimes puts one in left field, but I'm kind of thinking it's more in the way I handle them than the guns themselves.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My wife and I both shoot out LC9 better than the G17. Not sure why that is but...

Still, the 17 is my EDC

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shouldn't have to replace the trigger on a brand new gun to make it work.

I'm hoping after a few hundred rounds things will work out. It is a strange grip angle. It's probably me and not the gun. I was sure I'd want to sell the XD after getting a Glock. Not a chance.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I shoot Gen 2's and Gen 3's better than Gen 4 Glocks. :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
887 Posts
10 out of 45 at 10 yds in a 6" circle. Were the other 35 rounds close or all over the place? Perhaps you just need to get used to it. As you said it has a "strange grip angle" I don't own a Glock, but have shot a few and I liked them. I'm sure the accuracy will improve each time you shoot it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep all over low high right left. I'd say a 12" pattern all over.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I shouldn't have to replace the trigger on a brand new gun to make it work.

I'm hoping after a few hundred rounds things will work out. It is a strange grip angle. It's probably me and not the gun. I was sure I'd want to sell the XD after getting a Glock. Not a chance.

If you're not used to shooting Glocks, I think it's a bit much to expect great shooting the first time out.

When I started my Glock career on a baby Glock, it took me about 500 rounds to figure out my grip and try different backstraps but since then it's been smooth sailing. I would guess you have some grip and trigger things to figure out/get used to. They have a unique feel but once you get used to it, your other guns will feel weird.

For me, the key to sorting out the Glock grip was tucking my right thumb down and in on the grip instead of straight ahead/on top of my other thumb. The Glock is the only one so far I have to use this grip but it works great. Also, try concentrating the grip pressure on 2nd and 3rd finger of your right hand - the pinky is there to supervise.

As far as the trigger goes, sort out where the break is on the trigger and try riding the break a bit before you fire for more accuracy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
First, we need to determine if either the gun is inherently inaccurate, or just that you have trouble shooting it accurately. Glocks do not need a break in, especially to achieve accuracy, however sometimes shooters do. Have another person or two shoot it to see if it's more accurate for them. If there is something wrong with the gun, which is unlikely, call Glock and they will take care of it. If it's just that you have trouble shooting it accurately, work with it some to see if you improve, paying attention to the fundamentals. Glocks aren't for everybody, just like Fords, and so if you don't improve, try something else.

Reactions: mhl6493

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gen 4 Glock 19 is what I trust my life with 24/7. Glock triggers take some getting used to for sure. But it is a dam fine gun that will shoot tight groups at 25 yards with the cheapest ammo out there.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It is possible that there is a mechanical issue with the gun that is causing it to be inaccurate. It happened to me on a brand-new .458 SOCOM. When I sent it back to the manufacturer, they determined that there was an issue and thus rebarreled it free of charge.

That said, the odds of your new Glock being inherently inaccurate are slightly South of "slim" while still remaining North of "none". It is probably 100 times more likely that the fault is in the shooter, and not the pistol. I say this not to cast aspersions on your shooting ability - just to share my own experience that the potential for inaccuracy in a human is generally far more than the potential for inaccuracy in a machine.

Maybe shoot it off of a rest, or have someone who owns a pile of Austrian tupperware wring it out for you?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You nailed it. I promise you, it's not the gun. You really need to learn the trigger. The gen 4 glocks have slack in the trigger. Then it comes to a wall. Then it will creep through the wall and break. Sometimes I flinch through the creep and throw my shots. That's all me. If I get a nice clean flinch free break I will hit a six inch plate at 25 yards. All I do is polish the internals by hand. And even that is not necessary.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
Glocks take some getting used to but when you do they work in all conditions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep all over low high right left. I'd say a 12" pattern all over.
Have a fellow shooting buddy try it.

12" at 10 yards: Some thing is very wrong. My new G19 is more like 3" and I am not even happy with that. My G21sf is closer to 1.5". Included is G17 offhand at 10 yards. I can't always get a group like that but the pistol can. G17 10 yards 001.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took one of my employees out to the range on Wednesday, very liberal 40 years old and NEVER shot any gun of any kind. He shot my G19 Gen 4, the first shot was center hi in the 8 ring, we talked about squeezing the trigger and anticipating the shot, the next 5 shots were dead center. He shot another 25 rounds and 20 were dead center the other 5 were grouped center high. BTW we were using cheap white box ammo, sorry but I don't think it's the gun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It probably isn't the gun , but I've never had a gun do this new. The Taurus 709 was better out of the box.

I'll run a few hundred through it tomorrow and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts