Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I somehow misplaced my favorite multitool. A Gerber that my dad gave me some 20 years back or so. Well. I decided to order a new one from Amazon and was not sure I liked it as well.

Seemed a mite flimsy, pliers had a little play and bigger than I thought it should be. And nowhere on it is USA. Not bad, just not great.

Cleaning out my car and low and behold there it was.
I’ll keep wearing the old one and put the other in my range or get home bag.

Font Electric blue Pattern Fashion accessory Fiber

Sleeve Font Bag Rectangle Jewellery

Hand tool Tool Wood Blade Art

Maybe I’ll ask Santa for a new Swiss Army knife or Leatherman Wave.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
That definitely looks a US made one. The China ones are "different"...

Reactions: Redbert31

·
Registered
G19.4 - P365 - TX-22 - G42 and more.
2,095 Posts
The big one looks like mine -- except my file got broken off, so I sharpened the 1/2" remaining to make a scraper.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The big one looks like mine -- except my file got broken off, so I sharpened the 1/2" remaining to make a scraper.
I also have an old one, 20ish yrs?, that looks like the larger one.
Mine says "USA" on it and has a drop point knife blade and not the straight edge blade.

I had a large chip out of my blade and sent a request to Gerber to have it repaired. I wanted to keep the old one for sentimental reasons and Made in USA.
Gerber wasn't able to repair that blade during covid so they sent me a brand new Multi-tool exactly like the large one pictured. No "USA" on it though.

Maybe contact them about your broken file and see what they can do for you?

Knife Blade Gun accessory Metal Everyday carry

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
i have the larger model. I think I have had the current one for about 6 years and had other similar ones over the course of many years before that. Of all the multi tools I have had, this is by far the best model I’ve had. I supposed they could have cheapened up on the quality while still keeping the current model, but I probably won’t be replacing this one for a while unless I lose it.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I had a US made Gerber back in the late 90's. Left my truck unlocked, went inside a store and when I returned some scumbag had stolen it. I should have known better. Bought a couple cheaper ones but I have yet to replace it with another quality one.

What are the good ones made today?

·
Registered
745 Posts
here's my thread with pics of the chipped blade.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I’ve always stuck with the originals, made by Tim Leatherman. I got my first one (Blast) as a safety award at work back sometime in the mid 90s (1996?) and got my second right after New Years in 2004 when Home Depot had a clearance yellow tag sale and I found a “Surge” tool for $20, it was the last one…….

Neither have failed me over the years and I plan on keeping them around awhile…..

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I still have a original black multi tool with the square end pliers instead of the needle nose, bought them in 91 or 92 ,after being stationed at NTC Fort Irwin Ca.
Brown Wood Textile Rectangle Font

Brown Insect Wood Arthropod Grey

Took me awhile to find it

·
Administrator
145,226 Posts
I still EDC the larger, older one.
The "wire cutter" developed a burr that was annoying. Was a bugger to file smooth again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Now there are ones replaceable wire cutter inserts.
True story...
I called Leatherman some years ago & (I don't know who answered phone) and I suggested that they make a model with a removable diamond sharpener because....you could not use the non-removable hone to sharpen the Leatherman blade on the tool. That didn't make much sense to me?
Low & Behold released gets a multi-tool with a removable diamond Hone! If I would have given them my name....I might have got a free T-Shirt. 🤣
Somebody there got the credit though. Fine with me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts