Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's happened and I now need to wear progressive glasses. Beyond looking at the sites on a few of my hand guns I haven't tried shooting with them yet. I'm trying to figure out if I should be using the distance or reading section of the glasses.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So it's happened and I now need to wear progressive glasses. Beyond looking at the sites on a few of my hand guns I haven't tried shooting with them yet. I'm trying to figure out if I should be using the distance or reading section of the glasses.

Will be a new learning experience, at least it was for me years ago. I've learned that you can't win if you're looking at the rear sight...the front sight will be out of focus. Same with the front sight through the rear sight notch...the rear notch will be out of focus.
I've repainted my front sight BRIGHT white..and blackened my rear white dots. I practice both eyes open and look at the target...not the front sight post. Is easier to put the bright white dot ON the target...and fire. Kinda like "point shooting".
Takes a little practice but once you get used to bringing your weapon up and putting the white dot on the target..while LOOKING at the target, you will have a quicker shot. Not to mention that the target is where the hostile action is taking place...not the sight. You have to be aware of what the TARGET is doing at all times.
Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
<MP>

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
No biggie

Progressives are so much easier to adjust to than lined bifocals.

You may have to tilt your head a little so you are looking through the portion of your lenses that allows you to focus on the front sight. I've been wearing progressives for 20 years and haven't noticed a problem. The only way you might have an issue is if you have a history of focusing on the rear sight, or the target when you shoot.

By focusing on the front sight, both the target and the rear sight may be blurred, but that is what you are supposed to be doing anyway.

Just put the very clear front dot on the red center of the target and you'll be fine.

One thing to note is that there are differences in progressive lenses. Some progressive have a narrower field of vision in the intermediate portion of the lenses than others. I have always gone with the lenses that provide the widest medium distance vision, and haven't had an issue. Unfortunately the lenses with the wider intermediate area are the more expensive lenses.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have progressives. Its not a bad adjustment that is needed just a slight tilt of the head. I think you will be surprised how easy it will actually be.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did well with my stock Glock sites, not so well with my red fiber sites, had a hard time seeing the fiber even when lit up by direct light. Guess I'll swap the fiber back out for the stock site and see how that works.

·
Registered
717 Posts

When you find out, please let me know. I've been wearing progressive lenses for over 20 years and still haven't figured out how to sight with them!

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
PercyGlock.jpg
I keep telling people I do not need my glasses !

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think the progressives will be fine, but there may not be a point in the transition that has exactly the right prescription for the front sight. OK for range shooting, but for action pistol I'd recommend getting a pair of single-prescription glasses with the prescription optimized for the nominal front sight distance.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome to my world. I have been wearing progressive lens's for many years. My trick is to point your nose at what you want to see in focus. Works every time. Now to see your sites and the target in focus is another story. Not going to happen.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I also wear progressives, but I have computer glasses that are short distance progressives. When I look through them normally, they're focused about about 3 feet out and perfect for shooting. Unfortunately, I forget to put them in my range bag about half the time, so I'm going to have to get another pair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts