Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner , of a new Glock G43 and the rails etc have a brownish crud on them that looks like rust. I know that the preventive grease that Glock uses on them now looks like rust. My question is should it all be removed and re-lubed with oil or something else? It doesn't look great on the rails snd zi was once told by my LGS that it was to prevent rust. But is it adequate lubrication or is it more like Cosmoline and should be removed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The rails will not rust. The compound is a lube/grease and will wear away in time and use. Leave it on or clean it off and start fresh with your preferred compound makes little difference. I have Glocks that I have done both with with no difference in performance. The copper colored lube is available on the commercial market if you want to continue to use manufacturer spec lubrication. I would recommend a lighter oil for other parts of the gun though.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
When I bought my Glock 30, the manual said to clean and lube before shooting, so the infamous Glock lube never made it to the range. Twelve years later the G30 still works fine. I guess using or not using Glock copper lube doesn't make much difference.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks norcalAF and gasmitty.

I got this from a friend in a trade. I has never been fired but he did highlight the Glock engravings with white enamel. He did a great job and it looks fine so I won't mess with that. Just wanted to know about the grease as it looks bad when viewing the pistol.

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
Without looking at a Glock owner's manual, I think I remember reading that the copper colored lube is a long term protective lubricant and should be left alone - clean around it. That's what I have done with my Glocks that came with the stuff. Eventually it disappears, whether you get rid of it or whether the gun is shot enough times for it to finally wear off/out.

As others have said, if you do wipe it off, your Glock will probably function just fine for a few decades providing that you clean it occasionally.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Whether you clean it off or leave it on doesn't matter, but do clean and lube as shown in the Glock manual. Also, it is not lube, it's a copper colored anti-seize compound that Glock uses,

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I use TWB-25 on the rails, but I usually leave the copper stuff alone until it is mostly gone.

Oddly enough, I've bought 3 Glock OEM frames and they did not have the anti-seize on them at all.

You'll like the 43...I'm carrying one as a backup in a Sticky holster at the moment - AIWB cross draw on the off-hand side. I run mine with a 9 round ETS mag and X-Grip adapter. I keep one stock mag for when I need more concealment.

Reactions: Pete63 and mkh

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have been through multiple Glock Armorer's Course's and some instructors have said to leave it, some said clean it, and others did not mention it. I have cleaned it before shooting it and I have let it wear off. I personally have not seen a difference. If I purchased a new Glock today, I'd run a dry patch through the barrel and lightly oil the outside of the barrel. Then I'd shoot it until the copper anti-seize wore off.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been through multiple Glock Armorer's Course's and some instructors have said to leave it, some said clean it, and others did not mention it. I have cleaned it before shooting it and I have let it wear off. I personally have not seen a difference. If I purchased a new Glock today, I'd run a dry patch through the barrel and lightly oil the outside of the barrel. Then I'd shoot it until the copper anti-seize wore off.
That is what I have done. Light barrel oil.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Thanks norcalAF and gasmitty.

I got this from a friend in a trade. I has never been fired but he did highlight the Glock engravings with white enamel. He did a great job and it looks fine so I won't mess with that. Just wanted to know about the grease as it looks bad when viewing the pistol.
Most people that buy Glocks do not do so for their aesthetics.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
My Glock 45, I took it out of the box, fired 2 mags of +P+ thru it, put it back in the box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts