Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be honest. My buddy and I used SilverTips period. The last few years I started getting into reloading and ballistics and learned what my buddy had learned many years before I smarted up. That was to research and test. I know from my own testing that the newer ammo is alot better than the older style. But I have carried a large bore for too many years and until the last 2 years I went to smaller calibers. I admit it I'm getting older and the smaller calibers are a heck easier to shoot,and 20 years of shooting magnum loads has taken a larger toll on my wrists.
The Gold Dots do work and I like them, but these newer short barrel loads seem like the ticket for CCW guns.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Very cool - I love my Gold Dots. Thanks for the info, TonySoprano. I'll be bugging my local vendors for some. :cool:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Saw about these recently - and I am a GD user - in R9 with std pressure and +P in SIG. Does seem tho so far - no std pressure options - which could be a pity as R9 is definitely std pressure only.

·
Administrator
143,819 Posts
Gold Dots

GOLD DOT is my "carry ammo of choice" for both my pistols and spin~guns.
Very popular brand of ammo in and around PGH.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
clubsoda22 said:
gel testing is showing the the GD short barrel load still isn't reliably expanding out of 38 snubbies.
Interesting. Where are you getting that? Is there info on how they are performing in other calibers and in comparison to regular Gold Dots?

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
looks like I found my next replacement ammo for the Taurus, thanks.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Tom357 said:
Interesting. Where are you getting that? Is there info on how they are performing in other calibers and in comparison to regular Gold Dots?
There was a lot on ammolab about it before the sight went members only.

9mm out of compact gun never had any problems opening up. Consider that an automatic that's a similar size to a snubbie will generally have 3+" of barrel versus less than 2".

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here are some recent tests by ballistics expert Doc Roberts.

------------------------------------------------
Out of a 2” J-frame:

.38 Sp Safestop 148 gr plated WC, standard pressure, ave vel=744f/s
BG: pen=20”+, RD=0.36”, RW=148.1gr
Denim: pen=19.0”, RD=0.37”, RW=149.1gr
auto windshield: pen=14.2”, RD=0.44”, RW=140.9gr

.38 Sp Speer 135 gr +P JHP Gold Dot (53921), ave vel=856f/s
BG: pen=13.1”, RD=0.56”, RW=134.5gr
4 layer denim: pen=13.6”, RD=0.53”, RW=134.1gr
auto windshield: pen=9.4”, RD=0.51”, RW=129.6gr

These two .38 sp loads tested were specifically crafted for 2” BUG revolvers; they offer the best terminal performance of any loads we have ever seen fired from a J-frame and can both be strongly recommended for BUG use. The Safestop WC is milder shooting and offers better barrier performance; the Gold Dot JHP offers the most reliable expansion we have seen from a 2”, but recoils more and does not handle intermediate barriers as well. Pick the one you prefer…

------------------------------

·
August 19, 1970 - June 2012
100 Posts
Ammolab is going to retest some of the current production 135gr +P Gold Dot stuff shortly. It should confirm Roberts results. As I expected, it appears that Speer has redesigned the round to get a bit better penetration when compared with the orignal samples.

The SafeStop ammo is very nice as well. That is what I'm carrying in my M642 at the moment.

·
Banned
693 Posts
The ultimate, hottest, firewall load I ever fired was from a SW .40 Gold Dot Blazer load. I even kept some for that 'special occasion.'

The round was so hot that when it went off it scared me--I thought I'd find pieces of my pistol scattered all over the range!

I haven't seen a box of these things in a few years. Are they still made?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Paul Gomez said:
Ammolab is going to retest some of the current production 135gr +P Gold Dot stuff shortly. It should confirm Roberts results. As I expected, it appears that Speer has redesigned the round to get a bit better penetration when compared with the orignal samples.

The SafeStop ammo is very nice as well. That is what I'm carrying in my M642 at the moment.
The Safestop 38 non +P is what I'm carrying now too. works well in any airweight 38 snubby
Regards,
Fuzzy

·
Registered
998 Posts
I use GDs in my G27, but they are the standard 180gr GDs. I may look into some of the SB loads for the 27. I may also check out some of the .38sp loads for my 642.

I wonder how they would perform out of a 4" 13 or 64. I'd like to only carry one load for primary and secondary.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Depends on who you believe--on stoppingpower.net, the round expanded very well out of a S&W 649.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts