Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so i figured i would get some of ya'lls opinions.

I'm looking into getting my wife a new gun for CC. She finally jumped on the bandwaggon and got her permit. She insists on her gun being pink. I have looked into a few types of guns and now have narrowed it down to two.

Charter Arms Pink Lady
OR
Charter Arms Pink Lady DOA

Both are .38's. She will be carrying it in her purse mostly so i figured the DOA is better since the the hammer is concealed. Anyone have any experience with these two revolvers? I have only ever owned Glocks, Buretta's and S&W's... No knowledge with Charter Arms. How are they?

I appreciate any and all input.

Colby

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
My opinion is that you take your wife down to the gunshop and you let her handle several fireams and make her own(so long as she doesn't choose Jiminez or any variation there of) choice as to what firearm she carries

·
Registered
506 Posts
You could buy a good steel Smith&Wesson j-frame and add a Hogue grip:

Hogue link

Or if she wanted a lightweight j-frame (not recommended unless she's already an experienced shooter) you can buy those directly from S&W with pink grips.

If she doesn't already have her heart set on a revolver, there's also the Julie Golob special M&P, a semi-auto with interchangeable pink grip panels and a breast cancer awareness ribbon it it.

Probably lots more out there.

pax

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought a charter arms 38 revolver from a friend for $150 along time ago, I shot it several times and never had any problems with it, however I do not know much about them and do not know if they are an overall good company or not, I sold the gun to my cousin 2 years ago for the same price i bought it for, but if your looking for a pink gun smith n wesson makes a pink 38 as well. get her a glock and paint or dye the frame pink :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'd let her fire a .38 snubbie before laying down the cash for one... This gentleman was nice enough to let me try out his LCR at the range, and after watching me fire it, the g/f wouldn't try. It was only her 2nd time to the range though...

If you can rent/borrow one (or something simliar) i'd recommend that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably should have elaborated more i guess. haha. We have actually looked into a bunch of different guns. These are the two she is torn between. I have already had her fire them and she loves them both.

tpurdin- I would def'n paint a glock pink for her except she hates shooting mine (which is exactly why im gettting her her own gun). The glock is perfectly fine for me, concealable and all. She doesnt think it would be good in her U-haul-on-a-rope she calls a purse.

I'm mainly trying to get opinions from the women that carry these and the people that have owned Charter Arms weapons.

Thanks for all your replies though!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would have her shoot some different semiauto .380 or 9mm, as well as some .38 revolvers and see which one she feels more comfortable shooting. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She has shot more guns than most of the Marines i work with. Im not concerned about if she can handle the .38, because i know she can. Im really just trying to see if anyone has an opinion on the actual maker and those types of guns.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
If those are the two she has narrowed it down to I would go with the shrouded hammer version (DAO). I have never owned a Charter arms. For revolvers I tend to gravitate towards S&W and Ruger or used Colt. I agree with Pax. I would look at a stainless J frame, plus I would check out the Ruger SP. The light weight alloy frame or LCR are little nicer to carry, but I my opinion not nearly as enjoyable to shoot and I buy guns to shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
For purse carry I would recommend the DAO model, especially if the hammer is bobbed...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I don't currently own a Charter (have considered the .44 bulldog) but from everything I've read about them, the current generation of Charters are pretty well made/reliable, though not as "polished" as some of the others on the market.

As for purse carry she'd be best off with the DAO or Off Duty (which would be my pick between the 2), but keep working on her carrying on body.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Let her pick it out...:yup:...it's a start, and you want her happy with her decision (not your decision). OMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
understand pink

Just to add my two cents. I understand your wife wanting a pink gun (I wanted one too!), but as I started shooting more I found my favorite CCW are either of my Kimbers. I have an Aegis and Ultra carry in 45. They are both comfortable and easy to carry and shoot, which was a real bolster in my carry confidence.

Good luck:bier:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Tell her that no matter what she chooses you'll agree to have it duracoated for her. This way she's not limited in her selection, and can have it any color scheme she chooses.

This way she can find a firearm she can shoot, is comfortable with, and can even customize to her hearts content. This is pretty
good page to give her some ideas - Jim's Gun Supply Duracoat Gallery

My ex really wanted to duracoat her G23 pink after seeing this site. Luckily she didn't, since I now own it and really wouldn't have wanted the stares I'd have gotten at the range shooting it. :hand5:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My ex really wanted to duracoat her G23 pink after seeing this site. Luckily she didn't, since I now own it and really wouldn't have wanted the stares I'd have gotten at the range shooting it. :hand5:
Just say it's a "Breast Cancer Awareness" model...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just to add my two cents. I understand your wife wanting a pink gun (I wanted one too!), but as I started shooting more I found my favorite CCW are either of my Kimbers. I have an Aegis and Ultra carry in 45. They are both comfortable and easy to carry and shoot, which was a real bolster in my carry confidence.

Good luck:bier:
Kimber up, could you give me some added insight on the Aegis. My wife has shot a Tarus 357 2.5 inch hammerless with light loads and was alright with that and also shot a Glock 23 and 27 and hated both. I am trying to find her something she is comfortable with. I found the 1911 frame 9mm interesting. She suffers from wrist problems so a harch recoil is a problem. She said something about some Rainbow Bright model thingy but I think she was kidding. :smile:

Feel free to email me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Alright, so i figured i would get some of ya'lls opinions.

I'm looking into getting my wife a new gun for CC. She finally jumped on the bandwaggon and got her permit. She insists on her gun being pink. I have looked into a few types of guns and now have narrowed it down to two.

Charter Arms Pink Lady
OR
Charter Arms Pink Lady DOA

Both are .38's. She will be carrying it in her purse mostly so i figured the DOA is better since the the hammer is concealed. Anyone have any experience with these two revolvers? I have only ever owned Glocks, Buretta's and S&W's... No knowledge with Charter Arms. How are they?

I appreciate any and all input.
I carry in a purse and hate DAO, I carry a Taurus M85UL with a hammer.
Charter Arms is not a bad revolver. I don't personally like their crane design but there are 1000's of them out there with no problems.
Its a quality, lightweight 5-shot .38 snubby.
Lightweight is more important than size for purse carry.
I don't like the pink, BUT if she does, that one feature might push her in the direction of everyday carry vs "yeah I'll take it today" type of carry.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Since you specifically asked about Charter, that is what I'll address. ( a novelty around here, isnt it?)

Anyway, Charter doesn't have the best reputation. As a result they are not worth a whole lot. You will lose almost all your money if you bought new. Rumor has it that the newer guns are a bit better, but at this point, its just rumor.
I think you will be better served if you found a nice used J frame. There is a 442 for sale right now in the for sale section at a bargain price. If you are set on pink, there are tons of aftermarket grips out there.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Whatever you choose I hope it's what she likes to shoot! :wink:

I too would prefer a S&W over a Charter.

·
Banned
123 Posts
I would stay away from Charter Arms...

New or Used J Frame would be the ticket and worth something down the road.

Biggest thing is and it has been mentioned in previous post....Let your wife shoot the guns first and that the gun is for her not you...

A friend made the mistake and picked out and bought a S&W 642 for his wife and it was way to much for her...

Needless to say he had to trade it and she ended up with a Kahr 9mm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts