Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been seeing a new gun restriction sign at the Walmarts in Texas over the past couple of days. I am not sure why they are being posted. I think that it might have something to do with the Constitutional carry decision that is to be implemented Sept 1 after the governor's signature. The sign doesn't make sense with Texas carry laws. It looks like Walmart is trying to scare Constitutional carry people from carrying in their stores. Anyone have any insight into this new sign?

·
Premium Member
9,548 Posts
That sign in Texas does not fit the legal requirement. Unless the Texas legislature has changed something with the passage of permit less carry which does not go into effect until September.
looks like Wally World is just up to their usual tricks.
That is why you will never see me in one of them.
Too many other places to trade even if I have to pay a few extra greenbacks.

·
Premium Member
9,548 Posts
It will be interesting to see if business can exclude permit less carry and only allow permit carry.
May have to look into that possibility. This new law is going to take some getting used to for folks who do not want the LTC.

Reactions: retired deputy

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Tennessee's permitless carry goes into effect 1 July. I haven't seen any changes (yet) to store policies on carrying and expect the same that post gun buster signs now to carry on with the same signs. Signage is very specific in this state.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Of course business can exclude permit less carry. Under the new constitutional laws they will be able to post the new TABC sign. Walmart is jumping the gun a bit.. (pun intended) on the new signs as they will not become effective until Sept.1 2021.

In short the old TABC signs in places that sold alcohol has been replaced and now a more general sign is issued to take it's place. This sign can cover all TABC locations and businesses that do not want unlicensed carry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that it has something to do with Walmart selling alcoholic beverages. Still doesn't make any sense though. Maybe they were negligent in posting it before now.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Proofread > edit > send, in that order.

__

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
That sign in Texas does not fit the legal requirement. Unless the Texas legislature has changed something with the passage of permit less carry which does not go into effect until September...
yeah, i agree. it doesn't comply with the concealed carry signage laws which are in force until Sep 1, assuming the gov signs the new law. like the commenter from TN said, the signage requirement is pretty specific down here

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
It's Walmart, and they like to think they make the rules.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
To me, Walmart shows up in gun discussion way more often than it deserves. It is a place for gun owners to:
  • Get shot
  • Have to shoot someone
  • Get arrested on a gun related charge
I consider them an anti-gun business whether they technically are or not. I boycott them accordingly.

·
Registered
330 Posts
yeah, i agree. it doesn't comply with the concealed carry signage laws which are in force until Sep 1, assuming the gov signs the new law. like the commenter from TN said, the signage requirement is pretty specific down here
30.06 / 30.07 and 51% will still be in effect after 9/1. Just the new 30.05 signs will change from what I understand. I need to go back and reread the new statutes, but regular gun buster signs still will not be legal. Of course anyone given oral or written notice on premises must leave immediately no matter what is or isn't posted. LTC holders will have more defense to prosecution though. Especially at airports.

Again, Walmart is jumping the gun on theses signs...

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I think they are going to have to clarify the law at some point. To me this reads that they are putting up a notice that firearms are not legal there. My reply would be, no they aren’t.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think they are going to have to clarify the law at some point. To me this reads that they are putting up a notice that firearms are not legal there. My reply would be, no they aren’t.
Hey, reread the sign if you don’t mind. No pistols unless the person is licensed under section 411. (LTC)
To me this sign is pretty clear. Now, they can also post.06 and or .07 to deny everyone.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Hey, reread the sign if you don’t mind. No pistols unless the person is licensed under section 411. (LTC)
To me this sign is pretty clear. Now, they can also post.06 and or .07 to deny everyone.
i realize what the sign SAYS. As of today, it is not legal to carry a firearm without a permission slip in Texas. However, for those who have one, the only valid signs are the 30.06/07 and 51% signs. When constitutional carry becomes effective, that doesn’t mean this sign will have the force of law. Some have said there will be a new 30.05 sign, but I don’t know for sure.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
30.06 / 30.07 and 51% will still be in effect after 9/1. Just the new 30.05 signs will change from what I understand. I need to go back and reread the new statutes, but regular gun buster signs still will not be legal. Of course anyone given oral or written notice on premises must leave immediately no matter what is or isn't posted. LTC holders will have more defense to prosecution though. Especially at airports.

Again, Walmart is jumping the gun on theses signs...
i need to read it also. but i know those three signs are the only ones with force of law here right now. after Sep 1, i don't know what the signage requirements are

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think That’s a sign that any store which sells alcohol should post. They should’ve been posting it all along. Probably got written up by the TABC gestapo.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
There is no constitutional right to shop at Wal Mart. You may enter the property only to conduct legitimate business under the terms and conditions set by the property owner.

When you come to my house I expect you to comply with my rules. You are not required to come here; you can stay at home where you make your own rules.

I suspect that the signs in question are being posted in compliance with corporate legal advice and/or liability insurance company underwriters' requirements. The primary purpose is to establish a record of having a company policy forbidding certain acts, so if (or when) an ugly incident takes place the company has a greater defense against claims of negligence on the part of owners and management.

When Joe Dirtbag decides to go postal and shoot up the store it is pretty unlikely for victims to sue Joe Dirtbag (because he doesn't own much of interest to the lawyers pushing the case), they will sue Wal Mart Corporation for not adequately or properly protecting the innocent citizens who respond to their advertising and show up to do their shopping. Lawyers always go for the deep pockets, so those with the pockets have to protect themselves the best they possibly can. Sometimes that means adopting company policies and posting signs that may not appeal to some folks.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts