Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Thank you Pure Kustom for introducing me to this great forum! For 3 days I've been reading some of the best thought provoking stuff I've seen in years.

I'm in central North Carolina [hello Ghettodoc]. CCW in Nov. 2008. Carry gun: 1911 w/ 3" barrel in condition#1.

Respectfully request some advice. Permanent injury to my strong side (right) wrist and shoulder prevent me from carrying/drawing from further around than 3 o'clock; and cannot carry Forward Body Incline (FBI cant). I'm wondering what the pro and cons of appendix-vs-cross draw are.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Welcome aboard 3D from NE New Jersey!
I'm sure someone here on DC will be able to help you with your question.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you considered training and carrying weak side? Other than that, i don't know what your limitations are but, appendix carry is a straight up draw and conceals well. Cross draw is accessable especially when driving. I carry strong side but practice both strong and weak.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Hello all!
Thank you Pure Kustom for introducing me to this great forum! For 3 days I've been reading some of the best thought provoking stuff I've seen in years.

I'm in central North Carolina [hello Ghettodoc]. CCW in Nov. 2008. Carry gun: 1911 w/ 3" barrel in condition#1.

Respectfully request some advice. Permanent injury to my strong side (right) wrist and shoulder prevent me from carrying/drawing from further around than 3 o'clock; and cannot carry Forward Body Incline (FBI cant). I'm wondering what the pro and cons of appendix-vs-cross draw are.

Thanks.
Appendix carry conceals well and is comfortable enough with small guns such as snub nosed revolvers but IMO makes sitting uncomfortable with larger (longer) guns.

Crossdraw IMO makes concealment difficult as the butt pointing forward protrudes too much. Crossdraw however is a comfortable carry. There is an argument against it that says when drawing you will sweep others.

In the end, what matters is what works best for you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jbs. Obvious now that you mention it - but I haven't trained weak side. I will. It will be an advantage no matter what I do with my not-so-"strong" side.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Welcome from Michigan!

I would also suggest weak side carry.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome from Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina..

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Welcome from Victoria, B.C. :wave:

I'm sure Rocky can custom design something for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all!

Thanks.
My only problem with appendex was comfort, especially driving. But then again I carry a full size frame, not sure what size you carry. I would prefer appendix if I could, but my body style is such that cross draw is out of the question.
and welcome
Jess

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome from Alabama

Take Care
Stay Safe
Boze

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. You have to be comfortable and confident with whatever and however you carry.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Welcome to the board 3D, I'ts GREAT PLACE to hangout. Lots of good information and alot of good people.

Now I have to check with Bumper on my membership drive money!!!!:gah: Or maybe some get out of jail free, infraction credits!!! :image035:

Welcome from Victoria, B.C. :wave:

I'm sure Rocky can custom design something for you.
Thanks Gunny Bunny, Already did. He got it today.:22a:

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
If I was in your shoes, I'd probably go for appendix carry. Heck...I do that some of the time anyway in a variety of ways and one of those ways is unconventional according to most. I've carried a G19, G23, and G27 this way. Then sometimes I'll use the SmartCarry rig. When I carry cross-draw, it's with a straight drop holster and not one of those counter-carjacking rigs that cants forward. Only advantage I have with that type of cross draw is that I have practiced drawing it weak handed even though it's backwards. I can do this very effectively with my G27. I don't practice weak hand as much as I feel I should, but I do practice it occasionally. If I had a condition such as yours, I would probably transition rather easily to weak side carry. As some have suggested, it might be best for you to at least start thinking about and practicing this option. In the mean time, the appendix carry with the right gear and pistol seems appropriate since it's right there, and in front of you, and I believe it can be very fast, and even faster than strong side carry. You'll just need to figure out the how and what with, and I know it's even easier to find good holster options for appendix carry as opposed to weak side (non-dominant or left-handed for me) holsters. I'm right handed just like you. If I lost my right arm tomorrow, I think the biggest task for me would be to find all of the holsters I have now for left side carry. The rest I could probably deal with in short order. Since you are actually changing the ways you do things, and adapting to your lifestyle now, choosing a different pistol or pistols shouldn't be out of the question if you want to make it all work like it should. I know that might be a huge undertaking, but I can see your game-face already. Good luck with everything.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.