Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 24, 6'2'', 225 lbs, and have large hands. I want to start carrying a concealed handgun and have already got the paperwork from the DPS. I just need to purchase a handgun and take the class! I imagine myself carrying it on the small of my back, that's what I think I would like. I have never concealed or owned a firearm, however I shot them all my life with my father(police officer) and while serving in the Air Force(military police). So naturally I have experience in shooting and always enjoyed handguns.

I live in Houston and cannot find any of the guns I am looking at except the kel-tec P-11. A local gun shop has one for $225. I held it and liked the size and the sights vs anything smaller. I am willing to spend 500-600 dollars if it is worth the money on another gun, but the P-11 just seems like a reasonable carry gun for me given my size - and I can spend more money on a full-size handgun later.

Is the pf-9 all that? or is it just better for smaller people? i really liked the p-11 but then again I don't know anything about concealed carry so... HELP! thanks.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Glock 19 or 26, don't get more reliable or easy to operate.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm 6' 225lbs and 24 years old. I love my Springfield XD9. w/ MTAC holster. I also thought I would carry on the small of my back, but after trying a few different possitions I've found 3:30-4:00 much more comfortable. I only carry at 5:30 if I'm in a nice tucked in shirt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Do a little research before you get a P11, I have heard that the double stack mag does not always feed properly. Try the PF9 in your hand and see if it isn't too small.

Don't forget that even though a gun may feel small in your hand when you are at the range and can still be shootable(if that is a word).

A larger gun that is not concealable is of no use to you in your safe at home.:comeandgetsome:

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
PF-9 has a better trigger, I compared a PF-9, P-11, Taurus PT-111 and Bersa's UC9.

I chose the PT-111 becuase it came with 2 mags, Had a better trigger than the P-11 and I couldn't find a PF-9 that didn't have the price jacked up to high

·
Registered
42,844 Posts
I have to agree with the 3:30/4:00 position. Small of the back can be awkward to reach. (It looks good in the movies, though.) (9mm minimum, but the biggest caliber you can handle accurately and wear comfortably. I wear a Glock 30 at 4:00 in IWB. Conceals well, shoots well. Can't put 10 rounds in the same hole but can put them in the same small target. A slug in the heart makes your dead; a slug in the shoulder makes you hurt like hell and think of other things to do!
Best gun? One that works everytime. One you can handle. One you like.
Some of the smaller guns might not fit your large hands well. Best best: go to a gun store get the feel of several. One of them will seem like a natural fit. Even better--find a shooting range that rents guns. Ask to try several.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I wear this IWB/SOB all the time... FIST, INC. ...I have 5-6 of these holsters for various guns, including my Glock-36, my EDC.
It's a 'palm out' draw, which is much smoother that palm in...OMO
I wear it over the kidney rather than the spine. One can learn to draw from this position almost as quickly as from the side.:yup:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am 6'3" tall and weigh in at 255. Have large hands and used to own a Kel-Tec P11 but just could never get used to it. My current preference is either a Springfield Armory XD9Sc or a Dan Wesson CBOB which is a larger, heavier gun gun in 45 APC.

I too tried carrying in SOB but could never get comfortable with that either. Concealment was outstanding but sitting down was downright painful so I moved it a bit (3-4 O'Clock) and it was equally effective in concealment but infinitely more comfortable for carry. On a day in and day out basis the XD is a superior carry weapon because of its smaller size and large round count. Good luck in making your choice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay i have decided that the SOB isn't the best choice. after reviewing pics on the site i can see why the 3-4-5 O'Clock is a way better choice for obvious reasons. Also I have always liked the XD's as far as size and shape.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i'm gonna spend a little more money and get the springfield xd subcompact. i've held one and really like it. plus i can get 40 caliber.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome neighbor!!! I don't know what part of town you're in, but I would look at Academy and Carters Country...CC has a large selection to handle...If Academy has the same gun, it'll be cheaper than Carters...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Glock. Come to the dark side, you won't regret it! :evil:

Inexpensive, reliable, available in all major calibers, different sizes available depending on your CC needs, a practically unlimited supply of accessories and holsters, & great customer service. What's not to love?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as a matter of fact i have officially decided to purchase either a Glock 26 or 27. I am very excited!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts