Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved from NYC to NE PA & got my concealed permit, wasnt able to jump through the hoops in New York. Im not a small guy, 5'9", 250lbs with xl hands (mechanic). Id be concealing at work (t shirt, slacks & uniform shirt untucked) and open carrying most other times.

Is it feasible to CC a duty gun? I fell in love with a CZ P09, it's one of just a few pistols that felt right, plus I prefer the idea of DA/SA as opposed to a safety. Other pistols have felt good but they were the TP9, SD9VE, M&P9 and the CZ P07 came up a little short on the pinky but it felt great otherwise. I picked up a Shield but since it's a single stack the grip was a bit slim for me. I tried getting my hands on the Walther Creed, Ruger American Compact& Sig P250 compact but there none in stock.

As far as a holster goes, probably a Blackhawk IWB for now until Alien Gear came in, their price is awesome & everyone that reviewed them gave it high marks

For the pistol itself, budgets around $500 and I know picking a carry pistol is very much a personal fitment choice but are there any Ive missed or are there some to stay away from? The top picks of MY list are the P09, TP9V2, Sig P250C, M&P9. There aren't a whole lot of rental ranges near me & I don't have the liquid assets at the moment to rent upwards of 10 pistols plus ammo. Thanks to my job & my wife I don't have a lot of time to go to my LGS or the range. Any help with this Charlie Foxtrot would be appreciated

P.S dont say buy them all, Im very tempted to fill up my house with wall to wall guns, but my wife's family is mainly liberals & I need to keep it P.C so I can sleep at night

·
Registered
45 Posts
The P09 is a bit large for carry...the P07 (which I also own) is doable, but still a bit bulky. If you can deal with the trigger the SD9VE is a nice, reliable, budget friendly pistol. Personally I would go Glock 19 Gen 4 or Sig P320...these are great all around options.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Congrats on your prudent relocation. :congrats:

Yes, you can CC a full-size handgun. :yup:

Holsters are a very personal, subjective decision. My (bad) choices fill a...garage. :blink:

Your budget should be fine. :wink:

And finally...GLOCK 19! :biggrin2:

Reactions: ca survivor

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
1. The Sig 250 is no longer made the 320 took over it ...As of right now only the 22lr model is around ..You can still find the 250 cheep on the Police 5.market but eh on getting one
2. Have you looked that the new P10C good price and great reviews CZ made of course great trigger from what I hear
3. The M&P are good guns I would want for the Model 2 to come out compact they did go on the trigger on that
4. If you doing OWB or OC sure a full size gun is no problem I mean I OWB a 92fs with a 20 round mag so ...ccw it can be tricker but it can be done .
5. With the Cannick guns you need to look at the model and see what you want the earlier Walter 99 action or the latter normal Stirker fired gun
6. Frankly me I would just get a compact as it would be less hassel and more commford to carry all day
7.Look at the Sig 320 decent gun and hey the Army is going to use it .. And you can swap it to full or compact size so problem solved ...

Reactions: .XX

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Welcome! If you like large pistols look at a Colt Commander. It will except those large hands. You would have to carry cocked and locked. Good luck.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
822 Posts
I can vouch for the P07. I used to own one, it was just to big for me to conceal. If you are considering the P09, I would go with the P07 since you are a bigger guy than I am.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm certainly not a pro, but do have about 40 years experience with handguns. Almost anything can be concealed if you dress around it. More important is how you shoot your pistol of choice. If possible find your favorites that you can rent at a range or a friend that has what you are looking for. Within your general size and cost specs, I'd also looks at a SIG P320 carry or compact (the carry has a slightly longer grip and, if needed, you can switch out to a large grip module with either model for about $45). Good luck in your search and carry safely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. The Sig 250 is no longer made the 320 took over it ...As of right now only the 22lr model is around ..You can still find the 250 cheep on the Police 5.market but eh on getting one
2. Have you looked that the new P10C good price and great reviews CZ made of course great trigger from what I hear
3. The M&P are good guns I would want for the Model 2 to come out compact they did go on the trigger on that
4. If you doing OWB or OC sure a full size gun is no problem I mean I OWB a 92fs with a 20 round mag so ...ccw it can be tricker but it can be done .
5. With the Cannick guns you need to look at the model and see what you want the earlier Walter 99 action or the latter normal Stirker fired gun
6. Frankly me I would just get a compact as it would be less hassel and more commford to carry all day
7.Look at the Sig 320 decent gun and hey the Army is going to use it .. And you can swap it to full or compact size so problem solved ...
1) Bears by me has them, on their site at least & ive seen the 9mm & 40 on buds but if they have an in stock p320 I'll wrap my paws around that

2) it was my understanding the p10 is striker fired, i havent seen many reviews on it, not saying there arent any, i just havent watched/read them yet. If it's a carry trigger I'll take a hard look at it but if it comes up light, I dont like hospitals (new pistol shooter)

3) I thought the m&p 2.0 was already out but i could be mistaken

4) with alien gear i was going to get the combo iwb & owb so im covered on both accounts for any pistol but i do need to see how it would print

5) If i go with canik, great price, mostly good reviews, lots of included accessories, I would get the v2 which is da/sa with decocker so theres no dead trigger if i decock like on the sa, i like the sf line but i have to check the trigger setup

6) id gladly get a compact but not a sub if i can find one that feels good & points well. I turn a wrench for a living so i don't think 9mm recoil will break me

7) I'll check the details on the p320 and probably get the compact because it would be easier to conceal & if needed get the full

Im at work currently & I dont have my bang list handly otherwise I'd run down the other pistols on my list, half or so are compacts but no damn subcompacts, even a PT111/Millennium was small for me, irritated the hell out of my pinky & that was just in the store, I can only imagine it under recoil
Police 5 market? Am I missing something here?

@ Gabill. I love 1911s & everything Colt has to offer but I dont know about carrying cocked & locked SA for my first pistol

@ ghost tracker. I am far from a Glock guy. I like 2x4s but for framing not carrying & I've just never liked them. If you want them to feel & look good you have to customize them, Id rather have a better gun out of the box where all i MIGHT have to do is a little polishing or change a spring

@ FLSlim, I intend on carrying safe but no safeties for me, the only 1 i need is my index finger, straight is safe, bent is, well.... unsafe. Id rather have a heavy first pull than a potential accident.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Of the handguns you mentioned, I would go with the M&P 9. Excellent ergonomics and feel and very accurate and reliable. If you are willing to expand a little, the as mentioned Glock 19, in gen3 or gen4, are excellent choices, very simple to field strip and clean and ultra-reliable.

Lots of choices out there so take your time, handle as many as you can, and try to shoot them when possible (friends or ranges where you can do this). Good luck in your search. Oh, and the M&P design is a DAO hybrid. Definitely not a DA pistol.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
1) Bears by me has them, on their site at least & ive seen the 9mm & 40 on buds but if they have an in stock p320 I'll wrap my paws around that

2) it was my understanding the p10 is striker fired, i havent seen many reviews on it, not saying there arent any, i just havent watched/read them yet. If it's a carry trigger I'll take a hard look at it but if it comes up light, I dont like hospitals (new pistol shooter)

3) I thought the m&p 2.0 was already out but i could be mistaken

4) with alien gear i was going to get the combo iwb & owb so im covered on both accounts for any pistol but i do need to see how it would print

5) If i go with canik, great price, mostly good reviews, lots of included accessories, I would get the v2 which is da/sa with decocker so theres no dead trigger if i decock like on the sa, i like the sf line but i have to check the trigger setup

6) id gladly get a compact but not a sub if i can find one that feels good & points well. I turn a wrench for a living so i don't think 9mm recoil will break me

7) I'll check the details on the p320 and probably get the compact because it would be easier to conceal & if needed get the full

Im at work currently & I dont have my bang list handly otherwise I'd run down the other pistols on my list, half or so are compacts but no damn subcompacts, even a PT111/Millennium was small for me, irritated the hell out of my pinky & that was just in the store, I can only imagine it under recoil
Police 5 market? Am I missing something here?

@ Gabill. I love 1911s & everything Colt has to offer but I dont know about carrying cocked & locked SA for my first pistol

@ ghost tracker. I am far from a Glock guy. I like 2x4s but for framing not carrying & I've just never liked them. If you want them to feel & look good you have to customize them, Id rather have a better gun out of the box where all i MIGHT have to do is a little polishing or change a spring

@ FLSlim, I intend on carrying safe but no safeties for me, the only 1 i need is my index finger, straight is safe, bent is, well.... unsafe. Id rather have a heavy first pull than a potential accident.
The Sig P320 is a gun you will like. It has a very nice trigger. My P250 compact was its forerunner and served me well but it has a long trigger pull. You can buy used P250 police trade-ins for under $300. The P320 is available in FS, Compact and Sub Compact. It is standard with night sights but if you don't want them you can order one with contrast sights and save about $75.00. You can also order it with or without a rail. It is available in 9mm or .40 S&W and also a carry version in .45 ACP. I have a compact. It is not a small pistol but is concealable. You might like the SC. It has a shorter grip. I Like this model: 320C-9-BSS for under $600. ther are even a few P320 police trade-in available if you look around but most are in .40 S&W.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Just moved from NYC to NE PA & got my concealed permit, wasnt able to jump through the hoops in New York. Im not a small guy, 5'9", 250lbs with xl hands (mechanic). Id be concealing at work (t shirt, slacks & uniform shirt untucked) and open carrying most other times.

Is it feasible to CC a duty gun? I fell in love with a CZ P09, it's one of just a few pistols that felt right, plus I prefer the idea of DA/SA as opposed to a safety. Other pistols have felt good but they were the TP9, SD9VE, M&P9 and the CZ P07 came up a little short on the pinky but it felt great otherwise. I picked up a Shield but since it's a single stack the grip was a bit slim for me. I tried getting my hands on the Walther Creed, Ruger American Compact& Sig P250 compact but there none in stock.

As far as a holster goes, probably a Blackhawk IWB for now until Alien Gear came in, their price is awesome & everyone that reviewed them gave it high marks

For the pistol itself, budgets around $500 and I know picking a carry pistol is very much a personal fitment choice but are there any Ive missed or are there some to stay away from? The top picks of MY list are the P09, TP9V2, Sig P250C, M&P9. There aren't a whole lot of rental ranges near me & I don't have the liquid assets at the moment to rent upwards of 10 pistols plus ammo. Thanks to my job & my wife I don't have a lot of time to go to my LGS or the range. Any help with this Charlie Foxtrot would be appreciated

P.S dont say buy them all, Im very tempted to fill up my house with wall to wall guns, but my wife's family is mainly liberals & I need to keep it P.C so I can sleep at night
While I'm not built like you, we're in the same field. I'm 6'5" and 200, and I carry full size pistols all day at work with no issues. These days it's a full size P320, but my 229SAS and P227 also get some good carry time. I carry IWB with my uniform shirt tucked in over a Maxtuck hybrid from White Hat holsters. The Alien Gear should serve you well.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The Sig P320 is a gun you will like. It has a very nice trigger. My P250 compact was its forerunner and served me well but it has a long trigger pull. You can buy used P250 police trade-ins for under $300. The P320 is available in FS, Compact and Sub Compact. It is standard with night sights but if you don't want them you can order one with contrast sights and save about $75.00. You can also order it with or without a rail. It is available in 9mm or .40 S&W and also a carry version in .45 ACP. I have a compact. It is not a small pistol but is concealable. You might like the SC. It has a shorter grip. I Like this model: 320C-9-BSS for under $600. ther are even a few P320 police trade-in available if you look around but most are in .40 S&W.
I know the SC is available either way, but I've never seen or heard about the compact or full size grip modules being available without a rail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id prefer night sights, even with factored in cost, its one of the few things i would do to a carry pistol even im never in a low light situation, id rather have & not need than need & not have. I'll take a look at some sites with more trade ins but most of the ones ive seen are .40 and if i train my wife with it, 9mm will be easier on her. I could always get the .40 kit for it and have it as a backup or bedside setup

As far as a rail goes, might as well have one if i replace it as my carry gun & it serves as a bedside gun, a light might come in handy for that. Im not overly concerned with micro red dots but i like the look of them but definitely not necessary for a carry pistol unless i was going for the tacti-cool look. Once i get some cash & this range gets back to me, I'll see what they have to rent & go from there. If I purchase a gun from them I get an hour of range time so that's something at least.

I wonder if they would look down on me bringing a iwb holster & seeing how much the various models print, guess id have to ask

& asides from Buds, what other sites have a good selection of police trade ins?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I'm not built like you, we're in the same field. I'm 6'5" and 200, and I carry full size pistols all day at work with no issues. These days it's a full size P320, but my 229SAS and P227 also get some good carry time. I carry IWB with my uniform shirt tucked in over a Maxtuck hybrid from White Hat holsters. The Alien Gear should serve you well.
Do they print at all? I would think they would print more tucked in than untucked but with my shop i want to try and avoid printing. Winter doesnt matter, i wear a carhartt but summer could be the issue

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Do they print at all? I would think they would print more tucked in than untucked but with my shop i want to try and avoid printing. Winter doesnt matter, i wear a carhartt but summer could be the issue
I'll put it this way. One of our owners had no idea I was carrying until it came up in conversation. I had been doing so for over two years at that point.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I know the SC is available either way, but I've never seen or heard about the compact or full size grip modules being available without a rail.
There is a number of configurations. Not all are available yet and not all are available in every size. But you are right, the FS & Compact all have a rail, the SC can be ordered either way.

The carry version in .45 for example we list but I don't have one. Like the P250, Sig lists everything but doesn't always give a timeline for release.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Id prefer night sights, even with factored in cost, its one of the few things i would do to a carry pistol even im never in a low light situation, id rather have & not need than need & not have. I'll take a look at some sites with more trade ins but most of the ones ive seen are .40 and if i train my wife with it, 9mm will be easier on her. I could always get the .40 kit for it and have it as a backup or bedside setup

As far as a rail goes, might as well have one if i replace it as my carry gun & it serves as a bedside gun, a light might come in handy for that. Im not overly concerned with micro red dots but i like the look of them but definitely not necessary for a carry pistol unless i was going for the tacti-cool look. Once i get some cash & this range gets back to me, I'll see what they have to rent & go from there. If I purchase a gun from them I get an hour of range time so that's something at least.

I wonder if they would look down on me bringing a iwb holster & seeing how much the various models print, guess id have to ask

& asides from Buds, what other sites have a good selection of police trade ins?

Used Gun Collection | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore: Police Trade-Ins and Used Guns for Sale Online

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lot s of good advice here so I won't beat a dead horse but I do want to chime in on the Alien Gear and your carry options. First and foremost get the IWB Alien Gear Cloak 3.0 and don't mess with the modular IWB-OWB Cloak Mod that they have, it's just too bulky and when a holster is bulky you will end up starting a "holster drawer" which I have a few. The Cloak tuck 3.0 is super comfortable and they break in quickly.

Regarding open carry there are many different schools of thought but I'm 100% against it. Read up on it and make sure it's for you. Watch some YouTube videos on what you may have to deal with when it comes to the attention that open carry draws to you. For me I don't want to advertise to everyone that I'm carrying a gun and definetely don't want kids telling their parents "hey that guy has a gun over there". So just make sure you are aware of what you will have to deal with. Sometimes just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it should be done. From what I've encountered in my life most guys, not all, but most have always said they open carry because it's their right to do so. It just seems they are looking for a fight with society about their rights instead of just quietly concealing a firearm to defend themselves and help protect their fellow man.

Anyway, enough of my opinions. I really wanted to stress to you how great the Alien Gear holsters are and how comfortable and easy they make it to carry. Good luck in your search.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts