Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the group could help out a newbe.

I'm looking for a shoulder rig for my XD40-SC. Through my reasearch I have seen a multitude of options. But I have some questions that hopefully you salty dogs can answer. For example:

Tie downs? Need them or forget them or does it depend on the manufacturer?

Mag pouches? Is one enough or is two better for weight counter-balancing? (I usually tote one extra mag with me now)

Material? I've seen them with the swivel connectors on the back and have seen them with an elastic piece connecting the two sides in the back.

And finally the big question (and one I know I'm setting myself up for but I have to ask):
Cost? Are there reliable inexpensive rigs out there to be had. A caveat to that statement: I have no problem paying a higher price for a quality made holster because I understand the workmanship that goes into some of these products. I was just wondering if I should plan on spending $150-$250 right off the bat before I even know if this is a type of cary I feel comfortable with.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hmmm - oh for a better memory!! We discussed sho rigs other day and someone mentioned one sho rig in particular as excellent, with no tie down needed. acparmed I think made a mention.

Prior to more posts comin in - do a search on shoulder rigs or similar - may find that thread. I am not sure of costs.

I must say although mine is far from what you may want - the Bianchi X-15 is a rig I quite like but it does have a tie down for belt - and it is front break vertical - which I prefer myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhh - think it QK mentioning in second post down

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90108#post90108

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I use a Galco Miami Vice style, have had it for years. Works very well. It doesn't come with tie downs but they are an option. I've never needed them. Holster fits well and wears well. Very concealable. The two mag holder does help offset the gun's weight better then just one. They run around 140 to 160 dollars. Some on ebay for less. Icarry afull size 1911 in mine and love it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sholuder rigs

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm http://www.andrewsleather.com/ Take a look at the rigs here. I like a double rig as it balances out well. If carrying single two mags and a tie down helps. When I carry double I don't use any tie downs. If the rear straps are adjusted correctly there is not much slack so your pistols do not move around very much at all. I'm having Sam Andrews make a double shoulder rig for my 1911's. Lou Alessi has a really nice looking outfit. And the Galco Jackass Rig is hard to beat. Check out Sam's Urbane Cowboy rig.:image035:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I've had my Andrews Leather Monarch rig for almost 5 years now. I love this shoulder holster. I carry one of two 1911's in it. On the off-side I carry two mags and a SureFire 6P. (I also found the need for a SureFire, Mr. Fed, and Sam happily designed an addition for me to attach below the mag pouches). :image035:

As far as shoulder hosters go I've owned and worn many different types.

I like a shoulder hoster that is made entirely from leather. :yup:
I don't like elastic. :aargh4:
I don't like thin, narrow harnesses. :nono:
I don't like having tie-downs. They annoy me when taking it on and off. :rant:
I like the fit to be totally adjustable. Sometimes you wear it under a sportshirt, or a dress coat with not much other than a shirt under it.
Sometimes you'll wear it in the dead of winter and have on more clothing under your shoulder holster. You have to be able to adjust it for a comfortable fit. :yup:
I like horizontal carry because it's more concealable, in my opinion, for a pistol, not necessarily for a big-bore revolver. :rolleyes:
The draw is more natural too. That is, as long as you train yourself in the correct way to draw without crossing yourself with the muzzle. :nono:

Sam's Monarch fits all my wants and has none of the I don't like thats. :banana: :danceban:

Price? $165.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
AnimalKracker said:
Check out Sam's Urbane Cowboy rig.:image035:
I have Sam's Urbane Cowboy rig. Mine was the prototype for the one he now sells.

Mine varies only in that the strong side for my 5" 1911 has about a 10 degree forward cant and the crossdraw for my 4" 1911 is canted much more sharply at around 70 degress from vertical. It also has 3 double mag pouches instead of one.

The hosters both have a traditional braded leather hammer thong which is cut wide enough to fit over both the hammer and the grip safety tang.

I have worn this rig to many matches here in Vegas and always get comments about what a cool carry rig it is.

It's comfortable to wear and hike around the hills in, which is why I asked Sam to design such a thing in the first place.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
http://www.impactguns.com/store/GAL-MC-.html
Gunnutty said:
I use a Galco Miami Vice style, have had it for years. Works very well. It doesn't come with tie downs but they are an option. I've never needed them. Holster fits well and wears well. Very concealable. The two mag holder does help offset the gun's weight better then just one. They run around 140 to 160 dollars. Some on ebay for less. Icarry afull size 1911 in mine and love it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard the Andrews name come up quite a bit in my searching. I called them yesterday and because my CCW isn't one of the more common ones he said it would be about 10 weeks. But from what I'm reading it's worth the wait.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not really a shoulder holster guy, but I do have a Galco Miami Classic for the Beretta 92F that works pretty well. Seems to be very well made and pretty rugged. Never had to try and conceal it, as it gets used on top of DCU/ACUs. More for deployment base camp ops, since it doesn't work that great with body armor and everything else strapped on when working "outside the wire."

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for the correction Rick, 126.95 at that sight. I've had my Galco long enough it was only about 85.00 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so here's the million dollar question:

Since I have to wait 10 weeks for an Andrews Monarch rig to arrive, what would be a reliable temp rig while I wait? Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
My Shoulder Rigs

I "shoulder carry" using Louis Alessi Holsters (which are FANTASTIC) BUT, I wear them with custom made harness/strap system that I custom make and "fit" to myself.

I am not super happy with the standard Alessi strap system.
So...I'm afraid I would not be of very much practical help.

I honestly would go with the Monarch as having one of the best available harness systems.

DelFatti makes some great looking shoulder holsters also. Not real cheap but, NICE!
He usually has a bit of a waiting time also.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
acparmed said:
I have Sam's Urbane Cowboy rig. Mine was the prototype for the one he now sells.

Mine varies only in that the strong side for my 5" 1911 has about a 10 degree forward cant and the crossdraw for my 4" 1911 is canted much more sharply at around 70 degress from vertical. It also has 3 double mag pouches instead of one.

The hosters both have a traditional braded leather hammer thong which is cut wide enough to fit over both the hammer and the grip safety tang.

I have worn this rig to many matches here in Vegas and always get comments about what a cool carry rig it is.

It's comfortable to wear and hike around the hills in, which is why I asked Sam to design such a thing in the first place.
That is a very nice rig. Makes me want to move to a open carry state just to be able to wear it. My Spiders would look sooo cool in that rig.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Mr. Clean said:
I've heard the Andrews name come up quite a bit in my searching. I called them yesterday and because my CCW isn't one of the more common ones he said it would be about 10 weeks. But from what I'm reading it's worth the wait.
You will not be sorry. And what did you think about dealing with Sam? He makes spending money a pleasure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts