Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone from the great State of Idaho. I've learned a lot from this forum (great place IMO) over the last few months but this is my first post. I'm not new to guns, I am newer to handguns, and now that I've got my CWL I'm seriously looking into a gun I can conceal (my 6" revolver won't do). I was thinking about a 9mm, possibily single stack as that would be easier to conceal and a 9 would be easier to shoot for my wife, if needs be. Also 9mm = less cost to shoot. Now my dilemma. I have a chance to get a lightly use Glock 27 w/ night sights from the county that I work for. It's a gun that the part-time (read semi-retired/retired DEA) detective was issued. He's probably hasn't put 400 rounds through it, just enough to qualify. So do I get it at $325 (yes I know that's a good deal) or wait for a 9mm. Will it shoot much different than a XD40sc? I've shot the XD, but there's not a lot of ranges to test guns around here. The glock 27 feels good in the hand, but I won't have a chance to shoot it. FWIW, I can shoot the 40S&W just fine, not worried about the recoil. Anyway, new guy seeking your wisdom...thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey ntg-- welcome to the forum!:wave:

I'm a bit partial to the .40 myself, owning a G23 and all, so personally I'd freaking buy that 27 and run like I stole something--because that is a fantastic price for that firearm. I haven't fired the 27 before but found from other forum members that the recoil isn't too serious, and if it is you can go ahead and get a pinky extension for the magazine if you like.

You can very easily conceal a 27 with a good IWB (I know some that pocket carry it but not what I'd do) so that shouldn't steer ya away from this one.

At the very least, you could turn a good profit on this one if you don't like it...

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
325$! I'd jump on it.
Like 'glockstock' said...if worse came to worse you could always turn around a make a few dollars on it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I know it's a screaming deal. Has anyone had experience shooting the 27 and the XD40sc that can tell me their impressions and what they felt the differences are?

Maybe I'll look into trading it for a 26 down the road...who knows.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am devoted to my XD's but my gosh, get the Glock. Can't pass up that deal. And with an IWB holster should be easily concealable. Proper technique should enable your wife to handle it just fine.

I've fired my XD9sc many times and fired a magazine or two through a co-worker's G27. Not too bad to handle at all.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Welcome new guy. Yeah......get the Glock!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hello to everyone from the great State of Idaho. I've learned a lot from this forum (great place IMO) over the last few months but this is my first post. I'm not new to guns, I am newer to handguns, and now that I've got my CWL I'm seriously looking into a gun I can conceal (my 6" revolver won't do). I was thinking about a 9mm, possibily single stack as that would be easier to conceal and a 9 would be easier to shoot for my wife, if needs be. Also 9mm = less cost to shoot. Now my dilemma. I have a chance to get a lightly use Glock 27 w/ night sights from the county that I work for. It's a gun that the part-time (read semi-retired/retired DEA) detective was issued. He's probably hasn't put 400 rounds through it, just enough to qualify. So do I get it at $325 (yes I know that's a good deal) or wait for a 9mm. Will it shoot much different than a XD40sc? I've shot the XD, but there's not a lot of ranges to test guns around here. The glock 27 feels good in the hand, but I won't have a chance to shoot it. FWIW, I can shoot the 40S&W just fine, not worried about the recoil. Anyway, new guy seeking your wisdom...thanks!
The price that you have been quoted is $150+ below the price of a new one.

The Glock 27 and XD40SC new are close to the same in price. Although I own the XD40SC, I have shot the Glock 27 owned by my son-in-law. Both are reliable. Of course, both are double stack, but in my opinion both are a better buy than a single stack Kahr.

If you cannot get to a range to test the Glock 27, you seem to have enough knowledge to remove the slide, and do some basic inspection yourself.

To me your choice is a toss-up. [However, I do like the grip safety on my XD].

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I'd say go with the Glock. IMO, You just can't go wrong with the Glock platform. It always works. The .40 is another + for CC. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You'd be hard-pressed to pass it up at that price. And if you're experiences are anything like mine, you'll have a much easier time finding .40 ammo over 9mm anyway, so grab it and run before he changes his mind!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Id go for the Glock due to price. I am not a .40 fan myself, always had 9mm, and the Glock 19 I had was a fantastic shooter. GET THE GLOCK

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Get that Glock
Mike

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have a Glock 27 and pocket carry it as a BUG. And as a primary.

For that price you'd be crazy not to buy it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
both the xdsc and the glock 27 are great guns. if you want a 9mm, then get the G27 and buy a lone wolf 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel; with glock 9 mm magazines... it is practically a G26. the barrel is about 115 bucks + shipping. even with the extra barrel, you still come out ahead..i.e., less than the cost of a new glock.

great deal for the glock.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Glock, I carry one daily and own a couple different models (17,19,21sf) and I find them to be some of the most reliable and easy to shoot pistols.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
What? Is this a trick question?
Get the Glock...NOW!:yup:

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you want a 9mm, then get the G27 and buy a lone wolf 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel; with glock 9 mm magazines...
Raider beat me to it. That is a great deal on the Glock. Add a conversion barrel and a couple 9mm mags you've got the best of both worlds. Not to mention that you could always re-sell it at a profit if you decide you don't like it.

One other thought: you mentioned that it had night sights. They last about ten years. The half-life of tritiium is about five years (5.6 IIRC). So, they'll be half as bright after about five years. The age of the nights sights will affect the value of the gun a little, but not much. Even with plain old iron (plastic) sights, $325 is a steal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts