Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am going to be taking my CCW class next month and I want to buy a new handgun. I currently own a Hi Point 380 that I like but I want to give that to my wife. I have been looking around and wanted some advice on what is a good gun to carry. I have had experience with many different types and brands. Any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated.:scratchchin:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome....... and get one that "fits" you...... both in "personallity" and "functionallity." One that you can draw fast, consistant, and fits your hand. If you have to figit with the grip when you pull it, find another. Then shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it somemore.... When your done, shoot it again! Pracitice your pull, practice your squeeze, and practice your retreat! Remember your a defensive carry, defend and escape!

Again....welcome, good luck & have fun!

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
'What ibesarcasm said...

The only thing I would add is consider ammo availability. I don't own a .40 cal, and wouldn't you know that everywhere I go, there are piles of it on the shelf and it's dirt cheap.

One of my favorite quotes from this board (I can't remember who said it) was:
"I show my 1911's to my friends, I show the Glock to the BG's".

Welcome.

·
Registered
651 Posts
'What ibesarcasm said...

The only thing I would add is consider ammo availability. I don't own a .40 cal, and wouldn't you know that everywhere I go, there are piles of it on the shelf and it's dirt cheap.

One of my favorite quotes from this board (I can't remember who said it) was:
"I show my 1911's to my friends, I show the Glock to the BG's".

Welcome.
Not intending to hijack, but what's up with all the .40 ammo everywhere? I almost want to get a .40 because of the ammo. Spend lots of money to save a little money. Gun logic.:redface:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Not intending to hijack, but what's up with all the .40 ammo everywhere? I almost want to get a .40 because of the ammo. Spend lots of money to save a little money. Gun logic.:redface:
My guess is not a popular round. And with the buying frenzy, everything else is disappearing off the shelves.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
There is ALWAYS 40 S&W @ Walmart :scratchchin: (3) Differant kinds at that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
862 Posts
welcome to the forum.

how will you be carrying INW/OWB, what caliber are you looking for also?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Greetings and welcome. :wave:

Unfortunately, theirs no right answer anyone can give you. But my recommendation would be for you to rent and shoot as many different makes and calibers as possible before you buy. You also have take into consideration certain things like your manner of dress, your body type, and whether or not you're willing to change either of those for a certain gun model.

My personal choice is a glock 23. It fits my hand nicely, it's very easily concealable for me, and glock is known for their reliability. A few weeks ago I was carrying an XDM in .40, and while I really liked it, it was definitely harder to conceal for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice. I have been looking at a Taurus .38 ultra light. It is real comfortable in my hand and it looks like it would be easy to conceal.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I have been looking at a Taurus .38 ultra light. It is real comfortable in my hand and it looks like it would be easy to conceal.
Everyone should have at least one snubbie...They're great carry guns...

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Shouldn't there be a Glock in your future?:yup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Taurus 45acp...small millinium series weapon is a nice one...I've carried my 1911 combat commander before....makes my pants droop sometimes but hey...definitley will get your attention...

Steve

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Glock 26, and get one for the wife too. Retire that highpoint. :hand10:

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wouldn't carry the highpoint or let my wife carry it. I have a C9 and I shoot it and so does my wife but it is thick and heavy. My full size 1911 is lighter! and thinner for that matter. Check out Kel-tec (pf9, p11, p3at), Kahr (pm9), Glock (26), Springfield xd, Taurus (Millenium Series) on the autos and you are onto snubbies already, Ruger LCP, S&W 642 (among others), Taurus CIA's... there are too many too list... Could get mathcing pistols if you find one that fits you and your wife, same ammo and accesories, and have familiarity! Will you use it at home also, carry only, and how will you carry all matters. Men and women often carry different. Semiauto over revolver issue to deal with... will you field strip and maintain (some are easy and some not so much), how often will you clean, how often will you practice, do you own other guns, are you used to shooting other guns (double action only, double action / single action, single action w/manual safety, second strike capability etc... what can you conceal, present and shoot accurately...

keep reading this forum, these men and women have great insight and advice and we are happy to help, at the end of the day it is your gun, your family, your lives, and your money...

be safe, once you start buying watch out, you may not be able to stop.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I also have a Glock 23. I love it. It is mid-size with a "mid-size" caliber. If I were to describe the caliber, it is between a 9mm and 45. The 40 cal round is like the Rodney Dangerfield of bullets. It gets no respect. Personally, 40 cal works great for me.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
'What ibesarcasm said...

dirt cheap send me some 40 cal. The research i have done and the reason i went with the 40 cal is because alot of law enforcement use it over the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Go to a range that rents guns and shoot a bunch of 'em... borrow or go shooting your friend's guns and if at all possible, try 'em before you buy 'em. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run! :wink:

Or, you can just learn to shoot what I like! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts