Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So I'm talking a bunch of the fire safety professionals on my campus tonight after we got done pulling fire alarms...and we got on the subject of home defense, althoug I don't remember how.

Anyway, turns out the grizzled old man who works part time on campus (he's retired from full time to open his own shop), has a bunch of fire extinguishers that he charged with red pepper.

Not sure exactly what the correct process to charge a fire extinguisher is, but it's not that hard from what I understand...

I was wondering what you guys thought of the pracicality of this in a situation where lethal force isn't justified...or applicable to the situation?

--Jim

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Shucks - a giant OC Spray!! LOL.

Depends I guess on size and capacity of said extinguisher but anything too big will be unwieldy anyways. I suppose if small type then could be ''useful'' - certainly handy against a gangsta mob perhaps :silly:

Overall I think I'd stick to the smaller 4 ounce deals and have piece well handy for backup! :smile:

Jim - you are getting real inventive these days :biggrin:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Only problem i could for see if it was at your house you werent home and house caught fire and someone grabbed it opps.

But sign me up for one for my work van

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris...

it wasn't my idea. as to the actual process of making one, I'll let you guys know what the requirements are.

I know you can get extinguishers in sizes from 2.5 lbs to a 5 gallon water can... the 2.5 lbs are about the size of a 1 liter bottle of soda, roughly, and weight...well..just over 2.5 lb :)

--Jim

·
Registered
294 Posts
Since, in my People's Republic...

...the limit is 3/4 oz, it wouldn't be legal (I wonder if that's carry or posession). But I wonder what the effect of a face full of dry chemical would be.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Gerinald (?) Denny could have used one in LA! :biggrin: I think for home, though, I'd get a Fox "area dispersal" (read CS/OC grenade)unit from a local LE supply. Chuck it out the bedroom door, and wait for the hall to fill up.

Someone brave enough to try one(the extinguisher) , let me know! :silly:

·
Registered
357 Posts
firefighter4884 said:
Anyway, turns out the grizzled old man who works part time on campus (he's retired from full time to open his own shop), has a bunch of fire extinguishers that he charged with red pepper.

I was wondering what you guys thought of the pracicality of this in a situation where lethal force isn't justified...or applicable to the situation?
That might come in handy if you were going outside to handle a problem, such as a drunk in your yard, etc. However, if we're talking about home defense inside the home, I'd say lethal force is generally justified against an intruder, depending of course on where you live. Therefore, I would be inclined to stick with my more reliable self-defense tools.

SSKC

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
SSKC said:
However, if we're talking about home defense inside the home, I'd say lethal force is generally justified against an intruder, depending of course on where you live. Therefore, I would be inclined to stick with my more reliable self-defense tools.

SSKC
This was pretty much what I was going to say. As far as the fire-extinguisher goes, I think you'd be better served by bouncing it off their head than by trying to make it into a super-sized can of OC.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
You would need to put a gas mask on too, unless yer gonna breathe that OC too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts