Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Court OKs storing guns in car consoles.

By STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER
Posted Oct 08, 2009 @ 11:29 AM
Last update Oct 09, 2009 @ 06:04 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.An Illinois Supreme Court decision that gun owners can carry weapons in consoles and other storage boxes built into their cars won’t make much difference to law enforcement officers, Sangamon County Sheriff Neil Williamson said Thursday.

Illinois law lets people carry guns in their cars if they are unloaded and enclosed in a case or other container. The question was whether a compartment for items like CDs and sunglasses meets the legal definition of a “case” for carrying guns.

In issuing its ruling Thursday, the Supreme Court overturned a 2003 appellate court decision that said a glove compartment is not a “case” under the law.

Williamson said the change doesn’t concern him.

“All the officers and deputies are trained all the time to constantly be thinking of the possibility of a gun in the car,” he said.

“And it’s not the honest citizen I’m worried about, it’s the crooks,” Williamson added. “They’re going to have the gun anyway -- they’re not going to care if there’s a law on the books or not. We could have a jillion laws on books outlawing guns. They’re going to carry them anyway.”

The ruling was prompted by a Peoria case in which a man had been sentenced to 21/2 years in prison for carrying two pistols in his car’s storage compartment.

The defendant, Michael Diggins, reportedly told police he was planning to drive to Florida and he carried his guns – a .45-caliber automatic pistol and a .357 Magnum revolver – in the console when traveling because the highway was “dangerous.”

Diggins’ guns were unloaded and he had a valid Illinois firearms owner identification card.

The Supreme Court said Diggins could be tried again for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon because witnesses contradicted each other about whether the center console of his Chevrolet Suburban was ajar or locked.

The Illinois State Rifle Association filed a “friend of the court” brief supporting Diggins.
Court OKs storing guns in car consoles - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

My wife, who is from Illinois sent me this link. This is really good news for people who live and travel through there.

·
Administrator
21,213 Posts
“And it’s not the honest citizen I’m worried about, it’s the crooks,” Williamson added. “They’re going to have the gun anyway -- they’re not going to care if there’s a law on the books or not. We could have a jillion laws on books outlawing guns. They’re going to carry them anyway.”
Well at least someone there has it right.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
And a guy got 2 1/2 years in jail doing something that is legal in most of America.

Good grief.:aargh4:

What justice was served by forcing a man to lose his livelyhood over carrying two unloaded guns? Illinois is out of control and it is being ruled by Chicago mobsters.

:rant:

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
And a guy got 2 1/2 years in jail doing something that is legal in most of America.

Good grief.:aargh4:

What justice was served by forcing a man to lose his livelyhood over carrying two unloaded guns? Illinois is out of control and it is being ruled by Chicago mobsters.

:rant:
It certainly appears that way, H.G.

I have never been able to understand the concept of disallowing law-abiding citizens the right to defend themselves.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Illinois has always been a model for organized crime and oppression of innocent citizens.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Be careful if you're from out of state and planning on doing this. My understanding is that you have to have a FOID card if you want to transport your firearm unloaded in the same container as your loaded mags.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I heard about this court decision today.

One very small step on the long journey to sanity.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I hate Illinois. Not the people just the state. I hate it down to the trenches of my heart. I would never live there. I drive around the state when I am going to other places.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
It certainly appears that way, H.G.

I have never been able to understand the concept of disallowing law-abiding citizens the right to defend themselves.
Perhaps in the near future, the SCOTUS will change this.:smile:

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
I'm not very familiar with Illinois geography (except southern Illinois from my youth), but I note that Sangamon County is not very close to Chicago....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Be careful if you're from out of state and planning on doing this. My understanding is that you have to have a FOID card if you want to transport your firearm unloaded in the same container as your loaded mags.
Only Illinois residents can apply for a FOID card. I would think that a non resident that is following all the laws would not have any issues. However, this is IL that we are talking about. So travel through at your own risk. I hate going home!

I'm not very familiar with Illinois geography (except southern Illinois from my youth), but I note that Sangamon County is not very close to Chicago....
Sangamon County is about in the middle of the state. It’s about 2 hours north east of St Louis and about 3 hours South of Chicago. Springfield is both the state capital and the county seat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's one small step but we sure have a long way to go!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I hate Illinois. Not the people just the state. I hate it down to the trenches of my heart. I would never live there. I drive around the state when I am going to other places.
I have avoided Illinois several times by driving a little more distance.
Great people there but the Chicago politicians have too much control over the entire state.

·
Registered
359 Posts
so does your center console or glove box have to have a locking mechanism and be locked? or can the unloaded gun just be in the compartment?

·
Registered
27 Posts
were living in the social trenches here lol

·
Banned
265 Posts
Its a small step in the right direction for Illinois....but like I have been saying since my very first post here.....the consensus is shifting with the Dem's on 2A.

Unfortunately, you will always have the NY, NJ, CA hardliners clogging the news media.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts