Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Bill Munny: "Its a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have."

In this instance we are talking about a couple of thugs trying to mug someone at a drive up hamburger place in the early morning hours. To makes things worse, they are using a gun which could cause either an intentional killing or even an accidental loss of life. These guys can easily be called low lifes for sure. Now, I never sought to be a Pastor though I can't say I wasn't drawn to be one. Late in life I was called out of the woods to attend church. I gave it my all, as much as many here give their all to training and perfecting their defensive skills. One day my Pastor, along with those in the home church I was called to began to tell me that they had recognized my calling and my Pastor asked me to come alongside him as a fellow pastor. Why do I mention this? Because even a low life mugger with a gun could some day be called and drawn by the Father to His Son, just as any one of us can be drawn to repentance and a new life in His Son. So, in the back of my mind is the knowledge that if I take a life, no matter how righteous man may think it is, I know that opportunity - no matter how remote we may think it is now - will be lost forever. And this from someone who opened up on the enemy in the middle of the night just as the back wall erupted in gunfire and suddenly in front of me was someone running through our mine field. I was usually a good shot behind a belt fed M60, but that night they came into the bar where I was already half loaded and told me I had to pull guard duty, even though I wasn't on the roster for that night. To this day, I'm glad that I don't have to wake up at night reliving someone being torn apart by me behind that gun. I've often wondered if it was divine intervention that put someone on guard who wouldn't be able to cut down that other man that night. Or, maybe he should have been. At the time it was a no brainer. I won't know until the other side, and maybe even not then.

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
I wonder why his girlfriend didn't engage?

Perhaps she doesn't carry her gaming gear full-time. I've heard that many don't.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Another example where 5 - 7 rounds from a pocket gun would have been insufficient.
Oh nevermind, not applicable unless out late at night, in Vegas, at a burger place; my bad, another non-example.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Another example where 5 - 7 rounds from a pocket gun would have been insufficient.
Oh nevermind, not applicable unless out late at night, in Vegas, at a burger place; my bad, another non-example.
3 round? Nope!
3 yards? Nope!
3 Seconds? close enough, but insignificant.

Glad he didnt bet on what the "average" gunfight is.

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
3 round? Nope!
3 yards? Nope!
3 Seconds? close enough, but insignificant.

Glad he didnt bet on what the "average" gunfight is.
But were all those rounds necessary?

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
But were all those rounds necessary?
Im going to guess yes, but without seeing a video, its impossible to say. If you were sitting in the driver seat of a vehicle, and shot at someone who was on the passenger side, if they were on the ground motionless after 3 rounds, do you think you would put 7 more rounds in his chest?

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
So we're not allowed to get a burger if we are out late and hungry???? Thinking back to my truck-driving days, sometimes the job orcircumstances put us in places some of you all seem too afraid or too smart or whatever to go.

I'm in complete agreement with you on this. Yes, I put myself into circumstances & places others here don't/wouldn't, go/do. It's MY CHOICE! Most all whom post here don't accept the task I've chosen (being responsible for transporting & depositing large amounts of cash). I'll not be judging anyone here, as to their reasons for defending themselves, doing perfectly "legal" tasks. I don't "patrol", late at night, in BAD AREA'S looking for trouble. On the other hand, "what I do", does sometimes "elevate life's risk". My choice. Do as YOU wish.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
There's a reason I carry a 10mm, not a 9mm and B.J.s case is but one example. Not very long ago, another video was posted on this site of an officer delivering 14 rounds into a perp to drop him. In BJ's case, it looks like 9 to the boiler room didn't get the job done but slowed the perp down sufficiently for one to the brain bucket. Would the number of rounds required have been reduced if he'd been shooting a 10? I don't know, but I believe so and that's why I carry a 10, not a 9. My opinion, nothing more, 10 gives me more of a warm fuzzy than 9.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
There's a reason I carry a 10mm, not a 9mm and B.J.s case is but one example. Not very long ago, another video was posted on this site of an officer delivering 14 rounds into a perp to drop him. In BJ's case, it looks like 9 to the boiler room didn't get the job done but slowed the perp down sufficiently for one to the brain bucket. Would the number of rounds required have been reduced if he'd been shooting a 10? I don't know, but I believe so and that's why I carry a 10, not a 9. My opinion, nothing more, 10 gives me more of a warm fuzzy than 9.
Have you seen a video of the shooting?

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
So we're not allowed to get a burger if we are out late and hungry???? Thinking back to my truck-driving days, sometimes the job or circumstances put us in places some of you all seem too afraid or too smart or whatever to go.
Just some old FUDD's.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Not that I am aware of. I’m just curious how you know so much about how it played out.
BJ stated that he shot the perp 10 times, the last a CNS shot. Did you get something different from the interview?

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
BJ stated that he shot the perp 10 times, the last a CNS shot. Did you get something different from the interview?
You make it seem like you know that after the first 9 shots he was still charging full speed after the 9th shot, and on the 10th he dropped like a rock. Maybe that’s how it happened. Maybe it’s not. It’s just always interesting how people always jump to whatever conclusion they want to fit their caliber argument.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
You make it seem like you know that after the first 9 shots he was still charging full speed after the 9th shot, and on the 10th he dropped like a rock. Maybe that’s how it happened. Maybe it’s not. It’s just always interesting how people always jump to whatever conclusion they want to fit their caliber argument.
Really? Reread my statement, does it state that the perp was still hard-charging after nine rounds? NO! I don't doubt that he did drop like a rock after a CNS hit but he must have still been on his feet after 9 rounds, do you doubt that?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
In the interview it sounded like the last shot was done because the perp was still on his feet and moving. Seeing as the perp was not on the ground, the CNS shot was a security measure that PUT him on the ground. At least that was my impression.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts