Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new pistol. Yesterday I bought a CW9. I cleaned it last night and discovered the recoil rod and spring were different than the owner manual described. The recoil guide rod is blue steel and the recoil spring is not a captured spring but a single long spring. I am guessing about 18 pounds based on the difficulty I had re-assembling the pistol. This is good news to me because I have read that some owners replace the original guide rod with a steel model.

Over the past two years I have developed carry problems with either IWB or belt holsters and compact or larger pistols. I found myself carrying a P32 and nothing else. I want to try this size, weight pistol to see if I can carry it always and keep the P32 as a backup. I suffer from joint and skin problems. Weight and pressure seem to make the condition worse.

So I hope 9mm will soon be my carry caliber again. I am going to the range this week to start the break in process. Any advice or encouragement is welcome! :image035: I know I have no Shame! :rofl:

-- Richard

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The CW9 seems to be a great value and there are a lot of people on here who love theirs. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Congrats on the new CW9... :congrats: Mine has been flawless... Remember...

:worthless:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan a trip to the range Wednesday morning. I will send some photos after I clean my new baby!

-- Richard

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sweet! Hope to get mine out of layaway soon. :banana::danceban:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Congrats, hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well I cant speak on the CW9, but I recently bought a CW45 and I love it. Small, compact and reliable. Well worth the $$$$

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my cw9, it has been 100%. I believe you are simply just reading the wrong section in the manual. The dual captured spring guide rod is on the mk and pm series guns w/ a 3.0in barrel.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have researched this pistol, the CW9 for some time. I had a chance to shoot several magazines through a MK9 Elite, and later a PM9. I thought the shorter grip and barrel made them some harder to control. I did not have a chance to shoot any of Kahrs larger pistols, but thought the 4.5 inch grip and 3.6 inch barrel would be easer to manage. I will find out tomorrow. I did order a spare magazine and a Hogue handall from Kahr. I think they will arrive next week. I dug out old holsters to see if any would work until I decide what to buy. I discovered that my Don Hume leather XD paddle and pancake holsters will work. And then a surprise! The Crossbreed Super Tuck for my Browning Hi-Power fits as though it were made for the CW9. I can not wear that holster for long before a welt will rise but it is amazing how well it fits the Crossbreed.

-- Richard

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Congrats on the new Kahr. I love mine, In fact, now that I made it a covert CW9 model I love it even more :image035:... Be sure to break that sucker in good. :hand10:

GBK

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a CW9, 500+ rounds. I am now testing Hornady defense ammo. This is a great gun. Shoot the heck out of it, and enjoy it. I added a Laserguard,which I like, but it does limit holsters.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I cleaned it last night and discovered the recoil rod and spring were different than the owner manual described. The recoil guide rod is blue steel and the recoil spring is not a captured spring but a single long spring.

This is good news to me because I have read that some owners replace the original guide rod with a steel model.

-- Richard
It sounds like you have all the original parts. The Kahr manuals are applicable to all their models, so as previously written, you need to read the correct section... for the P, CW and TP models.

The spring goes on only one way...closed end on the guide rod. Remember to load the chamber by using the slide release. The Hogue grip is a good thing to add IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on your purchase of an excellent weapon. I only have PM series and use Don Hume IWB and they work flawlessly for me with a not so tight belt, I find I don't have any pressing or pinching issues.

KCGator

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Congrats on your new pistola, and I hope that your new CW9 is more that you could have imagined.:danceban::wave:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, thank you I have bad information about the CW9. I thought it came with a plastic guide rod. I have the box open and will read the owners manual again. I am very happy with the CW9 and am ready to shoot tomorrow. A range report tomorrow. I have a 640 x 480 photo if I can make this work.

-- Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
I love my cw9, it has been 100%. I believe you are simply just reading the wrong section in the manual. The dual captured spring guide rod is on the mk and pm series guns w/ a 3.0in barrel.
That's what I was thinking. The capture spring was for the micro series. Congrats on your new purchase. My suggestion for a simple inexpensive IWB holster would be a nylon KNJ. Fit's my P9 perfectly and it is not bulky at all. The reason I like it so much is that it allow my gun to ride almost even with my waistline. I bought the one that was labeled for a Colt 1911/Browning Hi-Power. So far this holster fits all three of my Kahrs.

Here's a link to a website that sells them. It would be the 04 size.

http://www.beebarb.com/productnumber362.htm#

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys and Gals,

Here is a range report:

100 rounds of 115 grain Winchester white box, no failure of any kind. They always fed and always fired, and ejected. Standard round nose bullets.

10 rounds of 124 grain JHP Golden Saber, no problems.

10 Rounds of 115 grain Remington JHP, no problems.

50 Rounds of 115 grain re-loads, standard round nose, not quite a full charge. they shot great!

The trigger clicked once and because I have read about Kahr pistols all over the Internet I knew to allow the trigger to come forward and reseat. Thats the only time I had a pause. What a great pistol! After the first three strings of 5 I could feel the trigger stage and my accuracy improved.

The pistol is light and has enough recoil to make me hang on with both hands. Because I read several places that the grip is textured very rough, I used IDPA target tape to cover the front and back grip area which really helped. My hand is sore after 150+ rounds. So I think as one of the replies said I made a good choice buying the Hogue slip on grip. I am carrying in my front left pocket using an Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster. Here are some photos. Two shots of the taped grip and one target. All rounds fired at 10 yards. I feel this is a long shot for this pistol so I am very happy with the CW9.

-- Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Glad to hear it ran well for ya. I think the CW series is the way to go value wise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts