Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new Ultra CDP II at the gun show today. I intend for this to be my primary carry weapon. I added a Galco Ultra Deep Cover IWB holster to try out, as well as a couple of Wilson Combat mags.

My decision was based on:

1) I wanted a 1911 in .45ACP in the Ultra size.
2) Features, finish and details. Including the ambi safety. My young bride is left-handed and I want her to be able to shoot it.
3) Fit and feel. It felt right in my hand, compared to the others I looked at, including Para Ordnance, SA, and other Kimbers.

Here are some pics:

In the Galco Ultra Deep Cover rig.

The flip side of the Galco UDC.

Alongside the Desert Warrior, my primary home defense handgun.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yahsureyoubetcha! I want her to protect me!:yup:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have two of them. One that I carry and one that I train with. Both of mine wear the VZ canvas micarta grips and I also use Wilson "guts" in the origional Kimber mags.

Both of these weapons have been flawless. The training weapon has been through pure hell and it shoots fine.

The features of the CDP's are what I was looking for in a carry weapon. Have had my first one for 3 years now. I will eventually pick up a 5" CDP also. Congrats on your purchase. You'll love it. ------

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Nice Looking Gun

I think the Ultra CDP is a good choice, and will be easily concealed. I use the Pro CDP myself, the 4 inch barrel version. The CDP has some nice features as standard, such as "meltdown" treatment on the slide, front strap checkering, and night sights.

I would make a few suggestions for possible modifications to the gun for your consideration:

1. Aftermarket "slim" grip panels would make the gun much thinner through the grip for easier concealment. I especially like the grip panels from Alumagrips, which are available in anodized black that will perfectly match the CDP frame in color.

2. You can buy shorter magazine basepads from Wilson Combat than the .350 inch basepads shown on your photo. This will take about 1/4 inch off the height of the gun for easier concealment.

3. A tuckable holster with the belt loop offset to one side of the gun makes for a thinner "bump" under your clothes than the Galco holster shown. The Rosen "Workman" WKM holster has an offset belt loop.

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Good looking weapons. The Bride will appreciate the ambi saftey.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pogo2 said:
I think the Ultra CDP is a good choice, and will be easily concealed. I use the Pro CDP myself, the 4 inch barrel version. The CDP has some nice features as standard, such as "meltdown" treatment on the slide, front strap checkering, and night sights.

I would make a few suggestions for possible modifications to the gun for your consideration:

1. Aftermarket "slim" grip panels would make the gun much thinner through the grip for easier concealment. I especially like the grip panels from Alumagrips, which are available in anodized black that will perfectly match the CDP frame in color.

2. You can buy shorter magazine basepads from Wilson Combat than the .350 inch basepads shown on your photo. This will take about 1/4 inch off the height of the gun for easier concealment.

3. A tuckable holster with the belt loop offset to one side of the gun makes for a thinner "bump" under your clothes than the Galco holster shown. The Rosen "Workman" WKM holster has an offset belt loop.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Are their any slim grips you've personally found to work well for you?

Right on about the base pads for the Wilsons. Got a deal on these so it's no heartburn to make the mod. I'm also going to get Wilson guts for the factory Kimber mag.

As I work with it for CCW I'll definitely keep that holster in mind. The Galco was the pick-of-the-crop that I found yesterday. I've also heard that the Galco works better with heavier pants material (like jeans) than lighter, such as khakis. Lots of options to try!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet

I'm with RSSZ. One to stomp on...one to count on.

Check out Gary Bromeland's IWB and OWB, too.

Welcome to Klan Kimber mah lad and lassie.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Alumagrips in full size or officers size work well.

rodc13 said:
I have had good luck with Alumagrips from the company by the same name in Arizona:
Allumagrips website

Below is a photo of black slimline Alumagrips on my Kimber CDP Pro. The grips are smooth enough not to snag on clothing, but adhere to your hand extremely well.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I am a CDP guy too. I love the gun and carry it 90% of the time it seems. I wouldn't mind going to the 4", Kimbers version of the commander and have a CCO "type" set up for daily carry for better range if needed.

I like the Wilson slim grips best for me, they look good, feel good and make a big difference when you are carrying it, atleast they did for me.

Ti

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
nice, I like the melt package on those....

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Bud, love them VZ's. Both of my weapons have the green canvas micarta. They are a little bit thinner than the origional Kimber rose (OEM) grips and they are quite a bit rougher. To me you can't have grips that are TOO rough on something that you really need to hang on to or on something that you don't want to continously reposition your grip on. I have VZ's on 4 of my 1911's including the one that I compete with. He has many different varities to fit many different weapons. He's on the web.----------

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice choice. I also have an Ultra CDP. I think I finally have it broken in and am really starting to love it. I have a Brommeland Max Con V for it and I also use the low profile basepad Wilson mags.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I bought my Wilson 47D mags through Brownell's. Two with std. .350" basepads for spares and a third I swapped out the basepad for the "low profile" steel pad. I think the low profile was $5 or so, works well as a primary mag but I prefer the extended std. pad for my reloads, they're carried vertical anyway so the extra length doesn't matter.

Congrats on the new .45, hope she serves you well.
Jack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts