Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a new LCP 380 and today was 1st range session. I cleaned it prior to going.
Ran a couple mags of FMJ, no problem.
Shot FMJ one hand weak hand no problem.
Shot the Fiocchi XTP and had fail to feed and had bullets get stuck in mag.
Didn't think to take pic but HP bullets would get stuck feeding into chamber.
Same fail to feed issue with Sig V-Crown.
Went back to FMJ again and no problem, not even one hand weak hand.
I'd had enough of shooting the LCP at that point.

Did some measurement when I got home.
Approximate OAL:
V-Crown - .946
FMJ - .975
Fiocchi - .985 (these would stick in mag)
Trigger Font Gun barrel Gun accessory Electric blue

Lipstick Liquid Fluid Wood Office supplies

Body jewelry Automotive design Natural material Automotive lighting Wood

Drinkware Liquid Gesture Gas Cylinder

The Fiocchi fail to feed is most disappointing, as I had intended that to be carry ammo.
For now I'd only be comfortable carrying the LCP with FMJ.
I wouldn't mind trying Underwood extreme defenders with the Lehigh bullet but they are not cheap and I'm a little gun shy given that the V-Crown also had feeding trouble.
The LCP shot POA at about 5 yards, brass ejected fine and not once toward my head.

ETA: Update page 2

· Registered
910 Posts
I didn't even know they still made LCPs, Thought the LCP II completely replaced it. I tried an LCP years ago and never found it to be very reliable and hated the sights. But I do love the LCP II and Max on the other hand. I carry them both regularly. More reliable, better trigger, better sights. Little late now that you already bought one, but if you can't get it working, I'd upgrade to the 2 or Max.

· Registered
10,913 Posts
I had a problem with Fiochhi a few years ago with Kahr CW45...they were overspec long and the nose of the bullet bumped the lands, keeping the slide from going all the way home. I took the barrel out of the gun and dropped all the ammo I had into the chamber and dumped them out...if they stuck they were Fiocchi and one other import brand...those I ran in my Rugers and they fed fine...some pistols have close tolerances and won't accept/feed abnormal ammo. Might try that.

· Premium Member
9,593 Posts
Might try Federal HST. The bullet profile more closely matches ball ammo.

· Registered
12,283 Posts
Would suggest you try Hornady Critical Defense. They are made for that type of gun. Heck, has a picture of the LCP on the box.

If you still have issues, call Ruger. They will take care of it.

· Registered
365 Posts
Got a new LCP 380 and today was 1st range session. I cleaned it prior to going.
Ran a couple mags of FMJ, no problem.
Shot FMJ one hand weak hand no problem.
Shot the Fiocchi XTP and had fail to feed and had bullets get stuck in mag.
Didn't think to take pic but HP bullets would get stuck feeding into chamber.
Same fail to feed issue with Sig V-Crown.
Went back to FMJ again and no problem, not even one hand weak hand.
I'd had enough of shooting the LCP at that point.

Did some measurement when I got home.
Approximate OAL:
V-Crown - .946
FMJ - .975
Fiocchi - .985 (these would stick in mag)

The Fiocchi fail to feed is most disappointing, as I had intended that to be carry ammo.
For now I'd only be comfortable carrying the LCP with FMJ.
I wouldn't mind trying Underwood extreme defenders with the Lehigh bullet but they are not cheap and I'm a little gun shy given that the V-Crown also had feeding trouble.
The LCP shot POA at about 5 yards, brass ejected fine and not once toward my head.
that's not good, my P238 will shoot anything I have ever put in it. I did polish the feed ramp just for the hell of it.

· Registered
1,266 Posts
I've owned a lot of LCPs in my lifetime and the only real issue I had was a broken extractor on an LCPII, which bothered me so much that I sold all three of the ones I owned at the time (about 2-3 years ago). Since then, I've bought and competed with a pair of LCP Maxes and found them very reliable, although they shot so low that I totally missed a GSSF plate array at about 15 yards. That never would have happened with the LCPIIs.

I'm in a transition state back to Gen 2 LCPs made in Prescott, AZ. I've found them to be very reliable compared to the NC models, although not as accurate as the LCPII (also made in NC). I'm willing to give up a bit of accuracy for reliability and smaller size for pocket carry. So far, the used one I got in trade for one of the Maxes digests everything, including Federal Hydra-Shok Deeps, which has become my preferred carry ammo for the little guys. I've got another used Prescott gun arriving next week and hope I'll have a matched pair to rely on.

My EDCs are a pair of Gen 5 Glock 17 carried AIWB at about 12 noon.

(Now, I've gotta sell the remaining Max, if the new LCP works out.)

· Registered
4,773 Posts
I have ran across a lot of 380 ammo that was too long for the magazine, across several brands of guns. I seat them a little deeper and they work fine.

· Registered
3,623 Posts
Sucks that it didnt feed with JHPs, but honestly with 380, especially in that short barrel, you either have to pick sufficient penetration or sufficient expansion. I'd pick penetration. Honestly, carrying FMJ and knowing you will be able to get the sufficient penetration is pretty common. You can check the Lucky Gunner ammo tests. Their test gun was a Glock 42, and that has a 3.25" barrel compared to your LCP's 2.75" barrel. I'd have no issue carrying FMJ in a LCP, and have done so in the past.

· Registered
8,264 Posts
When I had a LCP I loaded up some Hornady XTP for it, they work perfectly .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts