Defensive Carry banner

New LCP 380 did not like HP ammo. Update Page 2

968 33
Got a new LCP 380 and today was 1st range session. I cleaned it prior to going.
Ran a couple mags of FMJ, no problem.
Shot FMJ one hand weak hand no problem.
Shot the Fiocchi XTP and had fail to feed and had bullets get stuck in mag.
Didn't think to take pic but HP bullets would get stuck feeding into chamber.
Same fail to feed issue with Sig V-Crown.
Went back to FMJ again and no problem, not even one hand weak hand.
I'd had enough of shooting the LCP at that point.

Did some measurement when I got home.
Approximate OAL:
V-Crown - .946
FMJ - .975
Fiocchi - .985 (these would stick in mag)
Trigger Font Gun barrel Gun accessory Electric blue

Lipstick Liquid Fluid Wood Office supplies

Body jewelry Automotive design Natural material Automotive lighting Wood

Drinkware Liquid Gesture Gas Cylinder

The Fiocchi fail to feed is most disappointing, as I had intended that to be carry ammo.
For now I'd only be comfortable carrying the LCP with FMJ.
I wouldn't mind trying Underwood extreme defenders with the Lehigh bullet but they are not cheap and I'm a little gun shy given that the V-Crown also had feeding trouble.
The LCP shot POA at about 5 yards, brass ejected fine and not once toward my head.

ETA: Update page 2
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,882 Posts
I have a very old LCP,. When it was new, I shot maybe 25 rounds of ball, then tried a couple different brands of JHP, and encountered several FTF. I went back to the ball FMJ, shooting around 100 to 150 rounds of FMJ ball ammo with no problems. Then tried the JHP again, and zero problems since. Not sure that will work in all instances, but putting 3 to 4 boxes of FMJ through it first seemed to do the trick for my particular gun, and it now feeds any JHP I put in it.

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Try another magazine.
I’ve had an LCP for 11 years—shoot it a lot and never had issues with any ammo.
I had two magazines, the one that came with the pistol and another new Ruger LCP magazine.

I have a very old LCP,. When it was new, I shot maybe 25 rounds of ball, then tried a couple different brands of JHP, and encountered several FTF. I went back to the ball FMJ, shooting around 100 to 150 rounds of FMJ ball ammo with no problems. Then tried the JHP again, and zero problems since. Not sure that will work in all instances, but putting 3 to 4 boxes of FMJ through it first seemed to do the trick for my particular gun, and it now feeds any JHP I put in it.
It will be a couple weeks before I plan on going back to the range.
I cleaned the pistol prior to its first range trip and it was (is) still new which could be a factor; I cleaned it again after the range session, magazines too. I'll update thread after next range trip.

In tests I've seen few 380 HP perform well. I bought the V-Crown looking only at Lucky Gunner tests; subsequent tests I saw the V-Crown didn't do so well either under or over penetrating which led me to get the Fiocchi XTP. About the only other non-FMJ bullet that seems to do well in testing is the 68 gr. Underwood Lehigh extreme defender. I'm on the fence about buying some at this time.

LCP is not intended as a typical primary carry for me, its main purpose is as a 2nd option to another gun.

· Registered
9,393 Posts
Try some different brands of HP ammo. As your gun wears in you may be able to go back to the Fiocchi, but you will find an ammo it shoots well. It just sometimes takes a few to find one you and your gun agree on.
As you have noticed bullet shape and length have a lot to do with it. DR

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Can't remember if I ever tried Fiocchi JHP, but I've had a LCP (Gen 2, not to be confused with a LCP II) and haven't had any issues with it and ammo, and I've tried a lot of different brands. As the gun is new I'd say shoot some other things through it and then return to the Fiocchi ammo after 200-300 rounds. A gun shouldn't have to be 'broken in' necessarily, but it does seem to help when there's specific ammo issues.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Sorry to hear the problems you hare having. Can second that in my experience it might be the magazines. I purchased one and returned it. It just would not feed reliably. In that case it did not matter the type of round.

Not my favorite pistol. Reliability of feed is why I went with a revolver so long. The LCP has its +/- and several in my family carry it as an EDC. All of them stated there was a break in period with LCPs before they trusted it. They get more reliable after 200 to 500 rounds. I think some polish a ramp or something. Likely the same result as breaking in.

I've always staggered rounds HP / FMJ / HP / FMJ / HP / FMJ in Ruger .380 ACP. In my experience it is the 2nd round that fails to feed. With that caliber, in a SD situation, I've always like higher penetration power. HP likely better vs tissue and flesh. Not sure it really matters HP vs FMJ with a heavy coat on. I don't want to be hit by either.

Just purchased a used never fired LCP for $150. They are good for what they are.

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Back to the range today.
Prior to going I cycled the remaining V-Crown by hand and it fed fine.
Picked up a couple boxes of Hydra Shok Deep.
The Sig V-Crown fed this time except when I tried one hand weak hand, shot the rest of it.
FMJ of three different makes, no problem, not even one hand weak hand.
Thankfully Hydra Shok Deep fed even one hand weak hand, shot 30 rounds of it.
Range session 2 a success. :)
Wood Hand tool Font Tool Crosscut saw

· Registered
348 Posts
Got a new LCP 380 and today was 1st range session. I cleaned it prior to going.
Ran a couple mags of FMJ, no problem.
Shot FMJ one hand weak hand no problem.
Shot the Fiocchi XTP and had fail to feed and had bullets get stuck in mag.
Didn't think to take pic but HP bullets would get stuck feeding into chamber.
Same fail to feed issue with Sig V-Crown.
Went back to FMJ again and no problem, not even one hand weak hand.
I'd had enough of shooting the LCP at that point.

Did some measurement when I got home.
Approximate OAL:
V-Crown - .946
FMJ - .975
Fiocchi - .985 (these would stick in mag)
View attachment 402674
View attachment 402675
View attachment 402676
View attachment 402677

The Fiocchi fail to feed is most disappointing, as I had intended that to be carry ammo.
For now I'd only be comfortable carrying the LCP with FMJ.
I wouldn't mind trying Underwood extreme defenders with the Lehigh bullet but they are not cheap and I'm a little gun shy given that the V-Crown also had feeding trouble.
The LCP shot POA at about 5 yards, brass ejected fine and not once toward my head.

ETA: Update page 2
I bought an LCP I, new issue, in 2021. It was a jammomatic sadly. Sold!

· Registered
348 Posts
I had two magazines, the one that came with the pistol and another new Ruger LCP magazine.

It will be a couple weeks before I plan on going back to the range.
I cleaned the pistol prior to its first range trip and it was (is) still new which could be a factor; I cleaned it again after the range session, magazines too. I'll update thread after next range trip.

In tests I've seen few 380 HP perform well. I bought the V-Crown looking only at Lucky Gunner tests; subsequent tests I saw the V-Crown didn't do so well either under or over penetrating which led me to get the Fiocchi XTP. About the only other non-FMJ bullet that seems to do well in testing is the 68 gr. Underwood Lehigh extreme defender. I'm on the fence about buying some at this time.

LCP is not intended as a typical primary carry for me, its main purpose is as a 2nd option to another gun.
FYI, in my experience, Hornady Critical Defense feeds well, and, is regarded well as a .380 hp.

· Registered
61 Posts
I've owned a lot of LCPs in my lifetime and the only real issue I had was a broken extractor on an LCPII, which bothered me so much that I sold all three of the ones I owned at the time (about 2-3 years ago). Since then, I've bought and competed with a pair of LCP Maxes and found them very reliable, although they shot so low that I totally missed a GSSF plate array at about 15 yards. That never would have happened with the LCPIIs.

I'm in a transition state back to Gen 2 LCPs made in Prescott, AZ. I've found them to be very reliable compared to the NC models, although not as accurate as the LCPII (also made in NC). I'm willing to give up a bit of accuracy for reliability and smaller size for pocket carry. So far, the used one I got in trade for one of the Maxes digests everything, including Federal Hydra-Shok Deeps, which has become my preferred carry ammo for the little guys. I've got another used Prescott gun arriving next week and hope I'll have a matched pair to rely on.

My EDCs are a pair of Gen 5 Glock 17 carried AIWB at about 12 noon.

(Now, I've gotta sell the remaining Max, if the new LCP works out.)
I bought an LCP Max, last year and it shot 10-12” low at 25 yards. I sent it back to Ruger, and they replaced the barrel which brought the point of impact up some, it still shoots lower than I like. I’m thinking of filing a little bit off the front sight, but I haven’t taken the time to do the calculations yet

21 - 34 of 34 Posts