Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received some new leather recently:
1) Red Nichols Maltese Falcon pancake style, mag pouch, and Sidewinder belt set for 1911 Commander with Ostrich trim plus a Beat the Devil avenger style outfit for a Sig P229..
2) Zlogonje elemental pancake for Kahr P40 and snap cake for Kimber Micro. (Belts are Amour)

I'm not a photographer, so pictures don't do these justice. These are my first Nichols holsters. Pleased with quality and turn around time from Red, particularly seeing that they come from Australia. Kept me informed along the way and sent pictures for approval prior to shipment. These are my third and fourth Zlogonje holsters. I think both makers do very good work.

I have been primarily using Milt Sparks and Alessi leather, which certainly have good products, too. I have been waiting on a Brigade Leather outfit for a 1911 Commander for six months, so still have a ways to go on it.

1911 w Nichols Leather.jpg kimber w Zlogonje Leather (2).jpg Kimber w Zlogonje Leather (3).jpg Kimber w Zlogonje Leather.jpg P40 w Zlogonje Leather.jpg P40 w Zlogonje Leather (2).jpg

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Well done, Old Man. It's always nice to see some state of the art leather around here.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well done Old Man. Nice pile of fancy gunleather you have there. Where's the pics of the Nichols "Beat the Devil"? How would you describe the differences between it and the "old" style Avenger?

Reactions: rednichols

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
excellent leather

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
Really like the black one on the lower right corner. Sharp!

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nichols Beat the Devil (Avenger Style) for P229

Nichols Beat the Devil.jpg Nichols Beat the Devil 7.jpg Nichols Beat the Devil 8.jpg Nichols Beat the Devil 1.jpg

Muzzleblast - Here are some pictures of the Red Nichols "Beat the Devil" Avenger style holster and Clipper mag pouch for my Sig P229. I hadn't posted these with the original posts due to not having the P229 available. It happens to be three states away at the moment and isn't expected to be back in my possession until Friday, Nov. 10.

Regarding some ways it is different from the original Avenger style, you can observe that the belt slots are rounded at each corner to allow a thicker belt to slide without twisting the holster away from the body. Also, for the P229, and maybe others, too, there is a cut out where the front trigger guard would be molded into the leather. This reduces a stress point, particularly for squared trigger guards. For the P229, I have had both the squared w/rail and the original rounded trigger guard,but this design accommodates both while reducing that stress. Also, the trigger side belt entrance is a completely different design than the original avenger style. Both are good, but the Nichols design has some advancements.

Hope this helps address your questions.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Muzzleblast - Here are some pictures of the Red Nichols "Beat the Devil" Avenger style holster and Clipper mag pouch for my Sig P229. I hadn't posted these with the original posts due to not having the P229 available. It happens to be three states away at the moment and isn't expected to be back in my possession until Friday, Nov. 10.

Regarding some ways it is different from the original Avenger style, you can observe that the belt slots are rounded at each corner to allow a thicker belt to slide without twisting the holster away from the body. Also, for the P229, and maybe others, too, there is a cut out where the front trigger guard would be molded into the leather. This reduces a stress point, particularly for squared trigger guards. For the P229, I have had both the squared w/rail and the original rounded trigger guard,but this design accommodates both while reducing that stress. Also, the trigger side belt entrance is a completely different design than the original avenger style. Both are good, but the Nichols design has some advancements.

Thanks, Old Man. I may have to order a Beat the Devil to go along with my Maltese Falcon.

Reactions: rednichols

·
Registered
859 Posts
View attachment 161121 View attachment 161129 View attachment 161137 View attachment 161145

Thanks so much for your review. The Beat the Devil is perhaps the most complex open pouch holster made today (previous record held by the Brill-style made 100 years ago for Texas Rangers by 6 different Texas saddlers that we know of). I feel like it provides the most advanced PERFORMANCE because of its complicated assembly from a half-dozen parts vs 2.

I notice neither of your belts made the picture cavalcade: I can't do justice to the darned things with a photo either! With the belt laid out flat, one ends up with a long, narrow picture of what looks like a snake (which is why it's called a 'sidewinder' style) without any compelling detail. Whoever masters this will have to get something mighty nice from me for working it out! And a picture of it on the body shows a belt that looks -- straight! Which is its magic, kind of a "shakes out white, turns blue" from the old soap add (comes out curved, looks like straight).

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Besides the Red Nichols brown Sidewinder belt in the pictures with the Maltese Falcon and Commander, there are also two other well made belts. I think that someone noticed, but didn't point out that their products are in the pictures, too.

I have been wearing Armour belts on a daily basis and find them a great belt to hang a holster on. The black belt with the P40 and holster is a Armour "dress" belt and the mahogany one with the Kimber Micro and snap cake is an Armour Gun Belt! Both excellent products.

Having posted the disclaimer that I'm not a photographer, I don't think that I will be able to cash in on Red's offer of taking a good picture of the Sidewinder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts