Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Saw a brand-new Marlin 336 in .30-30 today, in a local Dick's sporting goods marked for $414.
I thought "cool" been interested in one for some time... so I took a look.

I was surprised to find that the shoulder and fore end stocks were not wood, nor even a decent-grade of polymer, but some el-cheapo plastic that looked more like it belonged on a Daisy Red Ryder.It was patterned to "look" like a laminated wood stock, but wasnt.
When did they start doing this? Most of the one's I'd seen in the past were of Walnut stocks, or at least actual wood.

Further, when I sighted down the iron sights, I noticed that the front-sight was canted to around 11 o clock off-center. Didnt even remotely line up with the notch of the buckhorn sight. I figured that perhaps it had just gotten knocked loose, or bent during shipping or handling in the store, but when I looked closer, and touched it, it was firmly fixed to the barrel this far out of whack.

Has some dramatic quality-control issue come up of late at Marlin? Or have they started making these in Indonesia or some other 4th world hole?

I asked to look at a Rossi that was on the rack next to it, and while a bit shoddy, it at least had stocks of some kind of actual wood, and the sights were lined up and straight..

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
I saw a YouTube rant about this not too long ago. There were fit and finish issues and the sights weren't aligned. Marlin made it right if I remember correctly. My impression was the issues were real but the guy was kind of a jerk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno, havent seen it, so cant speak to it. But if he was seeing anything like what I was shocked to see today......
I'd actually been really interested in a 336 for some time. $$$ being tight, until recently, prevented my doing so.
Further, local shops seemed only rarely to have one in, and most-often had .45-70's in stock, which are a bit more than I need for around here, so I was holding out.
I finally see one in stock again, and try to check it out, and was amazed at how horrid the quality was, compared to past 336's I'd looked over , as little as a yr. ago.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
If it were me, I'd be looking for an older used model. There should be tons of them out there. I saw one in .35 Remington not too long ago in a pawn shop for $400. I wasn't in the market but it looked to be in pretty nice shape.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...was blessed to find one from the 70s...runs like a Timex watch...fit, finish,and function are excellent

...have seen many from the early 2000s on that were crappy...some that were OK...the forums are full of complaints and complaints about their CS...they've been bought and absorbed a lot so there's a state of flux...you will find a lot of info on Marlinowners forum...

...I'd say to hunt for an older model by serial # would yield a better rifle than to buy a new one off the shelf...sad to say all this but it's true...

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...the .35 is more rare...and much sought after...I'm sure you could have sold it for closer to $500 had you picked it up...great brush-buster...
If it were me, I'd be looking for an older used model. There should be tons of them out there. I saw one in .35 Remington not too long ago in a pawn shop for $400. I wasn't in the market but it looked to be in pretty nice shape.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The pre-lock, well-used examples from the 1950's and 1960's are the ones that most interest me. Hoganbeg hit the nail on the head, there.

In the past 10yrs, I've had a couple of the newer ones (though, none of the post-Rem models). Ditto on the .35REM: if you're patient, you can find a good, earlier example that (IMO) will serve you much better.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yep, you need to look at a used one. Love my 35 Rem... Mine has the OEM scope as well. Nice if you can find them. I would hesitate any update even to the scope. Just something about the scope looks like it is part of the rifle...

and I love lever actions...

marlin

·
Registered
20,256 Posts
Since Remington purchased Marlin, there have been many issues noted. Hopefully Remington will not keep treating the Marlin brand like a red headed step child and pay more attention to their QC.

·
Registered
42,099 Posts
Leave us red-headed stepchildren alone...

Reactions: Sister and G-man*

·
Registered
10,864 Posts

^^^^^This is what I would do.^^^^^

Jay's sporting goods, a place in Clare Michigan(also one in Gaylord) has literally 100's of these used
I would try to go this route. I have one new in 1978 and its a terrific rifle.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I think so, I looked at a .17 next to a Savage. they were within 20 bucks same price. The Marlin action was not smooth, the entire rifle seemed to be put together in a rush and the workman ship / quality was poor.

Also at my last Appleseed, one of the students had a new marlin. It has issues all day. The new students with the Ruger 10/22s did fine all weekend with no problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a marlin 1895 GG a year or so back. HORRIBLE experience. I had a lg order it and normally I inspect firearms before possession by my lg guy said it was nice and we are on a first name basis so I took his word. Oh lord. Would chamber a round from the tube, loading in the chamber and it wouldn't close. Front sight was lose. Burrs in the entire chamber area. Screw lose on the action. Had to call and send it back. Needless to say between wait time on order and sending back for repairs it was a total of 7 1/2 months. Never again will I buy a Marlington. Or remlin if you will. Ever since Remington took over, there quality has been horrible. Later bought a remmy 700 in 308. Horrible as well. Sticking to my TC's and winchesters.

End rant.

Bob

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was in the Cabela's in Sydney about a month ago. In the used rack, they had several Remlins of different type. I noticed that they still had factory stickers on them so I thought it was strange to be in the used racks. I looked at a few of them and the finish looked like it was done in Krylon! The fit wasn't very good either and while they had the levers zip-tied, just looking at them, I have my doubts that they would be as smooth as my old 336 or 39s. I just wasn't very impressed with them one little bit!

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...their quality's been suffering since about 2000, way before Rem took over...but it took a pronounced dive when they did take over...shame that such a respected name would be smeared with shoddy products...same like Colt and Remington and some others...the pride of the craftsman has been replaced by the calculator of the accountant...and we're on the short end of the stick...

I bought a marlin 1895 GG a year or so back. HORRIBLE experience. I had a lg order it and normally I inspect firearms before possession by my lg guy said it was nice and we are on a first name basis so I took his word. Oh lord. Would chamber a round from the tube, loading in the chamber and it wouldn't close. Front sight was lose. Burrs in the entire chamber area. Screw lose on the action. Had to call and send it back. Needless to say between wait time on order and sending back for repairs it was a total of 7 1/2 months. Never again will I buy a Marlington. Or remlin if you will. Ever since Remington took over, there quality has been horrible. Later bought a remmy 700 in 308. Horrible as well. Sticking to my TC's and winchesters.

End rant.

Bob

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
The Marlin produced 336's demand a higher used price then the Remington produced rifle in my area. I have seen a very early 1950's 336 placed next to a Remington version, no comparison. The Remington had a very poor finish and fit.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Since Remington purchased Marlin, there have been many issues noted. Hopefully Remington will not keep treating the Marlin brand like a red headed step child and pay more attention to their QC.
Yep! < sorry Ginger`s :embarassed:

Two of the local guns stores in my area stopped carrying them because of all the problems and complaints they got.

That one the OP saw at Dick's is their bottom feeder model. WW sells the next step up but the one's I've seen there have all had issues; canted sights, rough actions, and funky looking wooden stocks. Just too name a few.

Seems you'd be better off getting an older Marlin or; maybe spend the extra monies on ah Henry?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...I'm needin' more coffee...sittin' here thinkin' "Well I haven't heard of THAT...like the old Rem 141...that'd work"...then I got it and laughed at myself...
...I'm lusting after a coupla Henrys myself...maybe a .357 and a .22...they're making a .30-.30, too...the ones I've handled are slicker'n Vaseline...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yep! < sorry Ginger`s :embarassed: Two of the local guns stores in my area stopped carrying them because of all the problems and complaints they got. That one the OP saw at Dick's is their bottom feeder model. WW sells the next step up but the one's I've seen there have all had issues; canted sights, rough actions, and funky looking wooden stocks. Just too name a few. Seems you'd be better off getting an older Marlin or; maybe spend the extra monies on ah Henry?
OOPS :gah: . . . . :twak: :twak: :twak:

Let me clarify what I meant here . . . . . . :22a:

Two of the local guns stores in my area stopped carrying them “ALL MARLIN`S RIFLE MODELS” because of all the problems and complaints they got “FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS THAT BOUGHT ONE LATELY FROM THEM”.

That one “MARLIN RIFLE” the OP saw at Dick's is their "MARLIN`S" bottom feeder "30-30 LEVER RIFLE" model “NUMBER 336A ~ WHICH THEY DON’T EVEN LIST ON THEIR WEBSITE UNDER MODEL 336 CENTERFIRE RIFLES”.

Marlin Firearms "I DON'T SEE IT LISTED HERE ON THEIR WEBSITE" :blink:

WW sells the next step up “MARLIN NUMBER 336W” but the one's “MARLIN NUMBER 336W” I've seen there “AT WW” have all had issues; canted sights, rough actions, and funky looking wooden stocks. Just too name a few.

Seems you'd be better off getting an older "MODEL" Marlin "ONE MADE BEFORE REMINGTON TOOK OVER" or; maybe spend the extra monies on ah Henry?

sorry for any misconstructions of my "FIRST" post #17 ABOVE :rolleyes:

...I'm needin' more coffee...sittin' here thinkin' "Well I haven't heard of THAT...like the old Rem 141...that'd work"...then I got it and laughed at myself...
...I'm lusting after a coupla Henrys myself...maybe a .357 and a .22...they're making a .30-.30, too...the ones I've handled are slicker'n Vaseline...
YES . . . . Henry`s lever rifles cost more but it would be monies well spent; I think . . . . . YMMV :smoke23:

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...well, that's a lot of effort to correct misconstruations...but it still doesn't...
...when I read your post...I thought you were actually talking about a Marlin that fed from the bottom...something I nebber sawed before...

...then, after a couple of sips...I THOUGHT I'd figured out that you meant "bottom of the line" or "basic, no-frills" model...and I laughed at myself...

after all that above, I'm not sure WHICH you meant...and I'm off for another cuppa...missed my naptime...

...here from their website is the 336A, complete with wood stock...wonder why they don't list it on the same page with all the other 336s...?
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/centerfire/336a.asp

1 - 20 of 33 Posts