Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Pa after 5 years in the not so gun friendly state of IL. I'm not sure on what to get for my carry weapon. for revolvers I'm looking at 45 apc's, 38 specials, and 357's, and for autos 1911 full frame or a Walther ppk. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That's a pretty broad spectrum to choose from. You can't go wrong with a good J-frame revolver .38spcl or .357/.38.

Gun shopping is certainly a big part of the fun, enjoy. Wouldn't hurt to go to a gun shop and handle a bunch to see what you like and then find a range that lets you rent what you're considering.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
A full frame 45 is a lot of gun,a lot of people carry either the commander 4.25" bbl,or the officers model 3.5" bbl,If I was you I would go to a gun range and shoot some of the guns you are interested in ,see how they shoot and feel before you buy a gun you may not be happy with

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'd certainly avoid revolvers, they're just too bulky. PPK? why would you consider such an ineffective caliber? Best choices would be either a 9mm or .45 auto.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Gulf Coast! :wave:

Any of your choices would make great CCW guns...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
don't just handle a bunch, shoot them also. then wait a bit and shoot them again. the delay will be worth getting the one you shoot the best with.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Greetings from UT, and Welcome to the Forum! I'd stick with a .45.

-Plop

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Jump right in with a 1911...:yup:

ret :31:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Welcome. Time to do some reading here and other gun forums.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Welcome to the BEST CCW state in the US! :image035:

I'd skip the PPK if you were going to go for a .380 and instead look at a Bersa Thunder .380 or SIG P232. Both of these guns are very well regarded and reliable, while many people have had serious issues with the PPK's, both with jamming and slide bite.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome from NC.

Go to a range with a good selection of rental guns. Pick one that you are comfortable carrying and you shoot well. I had a PPK, and I agree with EW3. It jammed and would chew my hand up at the range.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.