Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New member and looking for some advice

2K views 50 replies 50 participants last post by  czneddie 
#1 ·
I just moved to Pa after 5 years in the not so gun friendly state of IL. I'm not sure on what to get for my carry weapon. for revolvers I'm looking at 45 apc's, 38 specials, and 357's, and for autos 1911 full frame or a Walther ppk. what do you guys think?

#3 ·
That's a pretty broad spectrum to choose from. You can't go wrong with a good J-frame revolver .38spcl or .357/.38.

Gun shopping is certainly a big part of the fun, enjoy. Wouldn't hurt to go to a gun shop and handle a bunch to see what you like and then find a range that lets you rent what you're considering.

#4 ·
A full frame 45 is a lot of gun,a lot of people carry either the commander 4.25" bbl,or the officers model 3.5" bbl,If I was you I would go to a gun range and shoot some of the guns you are interested in ,see how they shoot and feel before you buy a gun you may not be happy with

#27 ·
I'd certainly avoid revolvers, they're just too bulky. .....? Best choices would be either a 9mm or .45 auto.
+1 Absolutely. 1911 is my second choice always, 9mm my first for preference, capacity and comfort. I carry 9mm full size, I'm thinking of naming it American Express because I never leave home..well you get the idea.
Jess

#8 ·
Welcome from the Texas Gulf Coast! :wave:

Any of your choices would make great CCW guns...

#9 ·
don't just handle a bunch, shoot them also. then wait a bit and shoot them again. the delay will be worth getting the one you shoot the best with.

#13 ·
Greetings from UT, and Welcome to the Forum! I'd stick with a .45.

-Plop

#14 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Jump right in with a 1911...:yup:

ret :31:

#19 ·
Welcome to the BEST CCW state in the US! :image035:

I'd skip the PPK if you were going to go for a .380 and instead look at a Bersa Thunder .380 or SIG P232. Both of these guns are very well regarded and reliable, while many people have had serious issues with the PPK's, both with jamming and slide bite.

#21 ·
Welcome from Kansas!

Thank goodness you got out of illinois!

A few suggestions: Like others have said go to a gun range that rents pistols and hold, fire, operate (the slide, magazine release, cylinder etc.), several different pistols in different calibers.

When you decide which caliber (preferably 9mm, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 sig or magnum, or .40 s&w) you open a whole other can of worms. See next suggestion BEFORE YOU DECIDE.

Look around for ammunition to buy, you'll need plenty of target/range/practice ammunition. You will need a good self defense round-preferably hollow point, you may need to get a box or 2 of different brands and make sure they function in whatever gun you choose.

Ammuntion availability and price are something to keep in mind, .380 is near impossible to find. 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 s&w aren't too bad to find, 9mm is a cartridge used worldwide FWIW.

.45 acp is higher priced vs. 9mm. Try to avoid the whole 9mm vs. .45 acp debate. .45 acp is ideal for it's legendary stopping power, however you can generally fit more 9mm in a magazine that will fit in the grip of a compact pistol. Modern 9mm ammunition is getting closer to .45 acp in stopping power, and you will probably have more rounds available. Shot placement is key no matter what size lead you're are slinging, but few of us know how accurate we'll be when the SHTF.

I can't knock a 1911 or .45 acp, I carried one for several months. There is not a more beautiful pistol than a 1911, however for concealed carry, looks should be last on your list. Think caliber, accuracy, concealability, capacity, and reliability.

I'm going to suggest a Glock pistol. I carry a G19. Compact, 9mm, 15+1 capacity (or more if you use a G17 magazine), great reputation for reliabilty and durability. It is amazingly easy to take apart and clean. They do offer full size compact and sub compact models in various calibers. I also went with a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster and a Crossbreed belt, a good gun belt is almost as important as the holster. I think you find this is one of the most popular/best holsters out there, it ain't pretty but it's inside your pants, this ain't a fashion show.

Good Luck

Joker1

#24 ·
Welcome from South Carolina..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.