Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... where you have to jump through hoops to get a CC permit. Home of the NY "SAFE ACT"
I am 62 my name is Bob.
I truly wish the world we lived in didn't require me and my bride of 43 long years to start carrying at our age. Things have changed however, and life indeed favors the prepared. I doubt I will ever need my CC weapon, the odds are huge that I won't in the semi rural area I live in, but as the saying goes, It is WAY better to have a gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The world we have today, is certainly NOT the one I grew up in.

The county I live in has a judge that is more open to issuing unrestricted CC permits if you can demonstrate a least some need, otherwise you get a restricted permit, which only allows purchase, home defense, target, hunting.. You have to transport the weapon separate from the ammo in a manner in which it will do you no good if you need it, like in the trunk...

The county right down the road , Tompkins,is also mostly rural or semi rural with one good size town {Ithaca}. They only issue CC these days to LEO's, and pretty much no one else.. The walmart there doesn't even sell long guns, they sell no NO guns pretty much.Thats the way the locals want it I suppose..
In any case, I was lucky to get my unrestricted NYS CC permit in Sept after waiting for 3 months, and my Pa unrestricted in Oct after a wait of a FULL 15 minutes.. I look forward to many good discussions, vigorous debates, and exchange of ideas here..... I hope to hear from many of you, and will toss my hat in the ring in many ongoing discussions as time goes on..... bob

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

Congrats on getting your CC. I often wondered what I would say if asked by a licensing authority why I needed a carry license. I'm not sure that "it's a cruel world out there & getting crueler no matter where you're at" would cut it. Those states that don't really want you to carry a legal firearm (and to hell with the 2A) probably don't care what your reason is.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome from Michigan!

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
- H. Jackson Brown

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from Wisconsin!

Congrats on getting your CC. I often wondered what I would say if asked by a licensing authority why I needed a carry license. I'm not sure that "it's a cruel world out there & getting crueler no matter where you're at" would cut it. Those states that don't really want you to carry a legal firearm (and to hell with the 2A) probably don't care what your reason is.
NY is an odd place.. Much of upstate is farmland, and is very rural with traditional values and sportsmen and women everywhere. However, once you get near ANY city, NYC, Rochester, Buffalo,Syracuse, etc, it is typical inner city.. Crime, murder, mayhem, drugs gangs, etc.. Drive 10 minutes OUT of any upstate city, and you are in rural hills/farm/valleyl country again.
The counties without typical inner city environs are more likely to issue a CCW... My county is sparsely populated and mostly rural/small town, and I had a reasonable request to carry so I was issued.
MANY are not- especially in the areas that are dominated by liberal mayors, city councils etc. I was lucky as was my wife.. I simply am not in the shape I was 40 years ago, and my wife is disabled for the most part.. Why should we [or ANYONE] be a victim simply because we can't run or fight the way we could when we were younger?
I am one of the few lucky ones in NY to have an unrestricted. They are hard to get for most in this state.. maybe some day I will be able to buy a .22 semi auto rifle with a pistol type grip on it.. can't right now. Our governor has deemed it an "assault rifle" . He knows whats best for me and mine....... I guess..... bob

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Greetings.jpg
Welcome !!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greeting and welcome from Chicago.
Don't they surround your house with M1 A1 tanks and buzz around it with A10 Warthogs and Apache gunships if you have a CC permit in Chicago?... Just kidding of course, but from what I hear Chicago is even worse than NYC for CC... bob

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bob, After I jumped through all the regular hoops there were still more AND had to pay a ridiculous amount of money to the state on top of that. I was in the first batch to apply for CC license's and have been carrying legally for two and a half years now. The sad part is my license expires in another two and a half years. More classroom, range qualification and more $$'s to the state. Still, considering the city I live in I wouldn't be without protection 24/7.

·
Registered
399 Posts
.. Much of upstate is farmland, and is very rural with traditional values and sportsmen and women everywhere. However, once you get near ANY city, NYC, Rochester, Buffalo,Syracuse, etc, it is typical inner city.. Crime, murder, mayhem, drugs gangs, etc...

...the areas that are dominated by liberal mayors, city councils etc. I was lucky as was my wife.. I simply am not in the shape I was 40 years ago, and my wife is disabled for the most part...
First of all, welcome from a neighbor just up the road a bit in Madison County! This is a great forum with lots of useful info.
Second, you hit the nail on the head when you wrote its the liberal (read: Democrat) politicians who ruined the cities in this state. They complain that guns are the problem; why is it that in these places where guns are so restricted crime is always worse than in the rural counties? After decades in power controlling these cities you would think that they would have fixed these issues<<heavy on the sarcasm>>.
Third, as I always ask anyone I meet from NY who has made through the tortuous process of getting a permit, what was your first gun? :first:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, welcome from a neighbor just up the road a bit in Madison County! This is a great forum with lots of useful info.
Second, you hit the nail on the head when you wrote its the liberal (read: Democrat) politicians who ruined the cities in this state. They complain that guns are the problem; why is it that in these places where guns are so restricted crime is always worse than in the rural counties? After decades in power controlling these cities you would think that they would have fixed these issues<<heavy on the sarcasm>>.
Third, as I always ask anyone I meet from NY who has made through the tortuous process of getting a permit, what was your first gun? :first:
Anthony.. My first gun was a 20 gauge Mossburg .. then not long after a Ruger 10/22, then a savage Axis .223 bolt, and then a Ruger . 223/.5.56 Mini 14 ranch Rifle.. Then my wife got her "pistol permit" not realizing it was pretty much useless outside the home.. We got her a Walter P 22, but it was a jam fest, so we got here a S&W Ladysmith .38 snub and a Ruger LCR .22 snub.. She disliked those and she finally settled on a Ruger LCP custom which is now her everyday carry.. She applied for an got her unrestricted CC . Not long ago her enthusiasm caught up to me, I applied for and was issued my unrestricted CC permit[pretty easy here in tioga county] and went and bought a Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine, then a S&W M&P Shield 9mm, as my CC, and just yesterday I went and bought ANOTHER Ruger LCP Custom for me, and a Ruger Mark III .22 as well,.. Yeah, I spent $350 on a .22 semi to SAVE money on ammo, even though I HAVE a .22 LCR.. Real bright, right?:blink:... So yeah, I have spent THOUSANDS on guns and ammo for guns that will likely never do any harm to anything more dangerous that a piece of paper with circles on it, and aq dot in the middle.. Still, one never knows, and as stated earlier, its way better to have and not need, than need and not have... I am finding I am enjoying gun ownership the past several years,, I am a terrible shot with pistols and long guns, but am improving... bob

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Howdy from TEXAS, where the west begins. Welcome to the forum.
Glad you could join us. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts