Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I'm a new member from Wisconsin.
I'm somewhat new to concealed carrying. I've done it on and off for 6 years but have only started seriously carrying every day this past year. Actually I have a question that seems to be pretty common among newbies.

I use a 1.5" leather gunbelt from Relentless Tactical and have noticed that my gun bounces or the grip hangs back farther than I would like when I wear it at a comfortable tightness. If I go one notch tighter, the gun doesn't bounce but I feel like I'm going to be sick. I'm using a Milt Sparks VM2 holster so I don't think that's the problem. It's driving me crazy though.
Do I just need to learn to live with the bounce and cool it because it's unlikely people can see it anyways? I'm pretty skinny right now, about 160 and 5'10" and I usually carry at 4 or 5 o'clock.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience. You will find plenty of great information here.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering to treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,531 Posts
Welcome aboard from Orygun! I have punched an extra hole because of this problem.

·
Super Moderator
17,985 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina, like LimaCharlie I have done the same thing.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

To me, a loose fit gives a sloppy draw, not impossible, but too loose for my taste. I just tighten it up and get used to it, there are bigger problems in life to worry about.IMHO

A good 5-stitch Instructor's Belt can work pretty well. I also have an expensive, SUPER thick leather belt that doesn't have to be real tight, but the thickness makes threading the holster a little tougher and a bit more difficult to slide the holster for final adjustment.

RET :31:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome, and NO you don't have to live with it. There is at least one mfgr. that has a leather gun belt that allows for very fine adjustments (not the 1" increments that many belts offer).

You could also look into canvas belts with "infinity" buckles. You slide the belt to a comfortable spot, then flip-lock the buckle shut. No discomfort.

They're inexpensive. Mine will support 170lbs when "latched".

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
862 Posts
Welcome from Kansas City! I have a Bigfoot 1.5 inch 18 ounce gun belt with a stainless steel core. Their website is gunbelts.com. Their belts are very highly respected. I carry a Glock 17 and a Glock 30 Gen 4 with no issues. I tighten the belt pretty tight but after a very few minutes everything kind of shifts and settles in and I am very comfortable. My Bigfoot gunbelt is very stiff and thick, and it supports my Nate Squared Professional IWB holsters and Glocks very well.

I am not suggesting your belt is not good but it may not be supporting the weight of your gun and holster the way it should. You should have a rig that is comfortable all day or you may end up not wanting to carry.

Glad you are on the forum!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy an even heavier, or a way lighter handgun if you ask me. Well done! And so well disguised as a practical problem! :smile:

You'll get used to either - sick or bounce. But if you go for bounce, make sure the holster retains well. Good luck - welcome.

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
The VMII is of a solid design and well-made. It rides too high along the belt line for me.
The further away from 3:00 my gun gets, the more the grip juts out and bounces around. I know most prefer it a bit further back, but that is the only position that really works for me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What gun are you carrying? I forget I'm carrying my glock 43 in a 1.25" armour belt, but my worn bullhide belt with my vbob needs to be cinched pretty tight.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
The Bigfoot gun belt is thicker and sturdier than the one you have. I have an Armour belt which is also thicker and sturdier than the one you have. I can hold it out full length with gun and holster on it and it does not sag one bit. That means I can wear it a notch looser than my other two good, but not that sturdy, gun belts. I have no sag, no pain the back or waist or stomach, and no bouncing or moving of my gun or holster.

I carry either my Glock 42 or Bersa BP most of the time but with the Armour belt I CAN carry my fully loaded G17 full size gun with 18 rounds comfortably all day. (Makes me look considerably heavier in the middle than I am, but it's comfortable to carry!)

Not saying you need either a Bigfoot or an Armour belt, but I know from the dozens of reviews of other members with much experience with leather belts that those two brands are stiff and sturdy. I am a medium small size woman with physical problems that include arthritis, and I need a truly stiff, stable belt because I carry 24/7 wherever legal (except in the shower or when sleeping at night).

Best wishes - and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Why don't you punch a hole in-between the other holes so that you can adjust it half way tight? Try pulling the belt about half way tight and see if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Greetings, By the way another vote for bigfoot belts. I had a kidney transplant and can't wear IWB anymore. Couldn't wear OWB either till I went with Bigfoot. Other belts had to be cinched too tight to provide adequate support. Enter Bigfoot. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
......Do I just need to learn to live with the bounce and cool it because it's unlikely people can see it anyways? I'm pretty skinny right now, about 160 and 5'10" and I usually carry at 4 or 5 o'clock.
Welcome from the Lone Star State and to answer your questoion, "No", ya' don't have to live with a floppy gun or cinch around your waist. It has taken me the greater part of 6+ years for find what is comfortable and quite a few belts, both cheap and pricey, have come and gone. I've tried everything from 511 Tactical, to a double leather steel core and nothing seemed was comfortable. The Steel core helped, but was just too stiff. IMHO it's not about body type, it's the individual body and each body has it's own requirements. I'm 6' 1 and when I first started carrying I weighed 227 lbs and have narrow hips in relation to my size. Even before I started carrying, I have always had problem keeping my pants up in the right position, and carrying OWB made it worse. The idea I came up with for me, borrowed from the idea of the old style military ammo belt suspenders, has been the use of a reasonable quality set of four clamp suspenders and a 1.5 in double leather poly core gun belt that I get through the NRA Store. I'm not an ardent follower of fashion and alway wear a long or short sleeve cover shirt to conceal my gun. I buy the wide black suspenders at Walley World and after some trial and error I founding that clamping three of the four clamps to the belt instead of the pants and the fourth clamp, closest to the holster to both the pants and belt gives much better support. Now I can wear my gun without it "flopping in the wind" or feeling that I have a choker chain around the waist. Due to the thickness I had to do some modifications to the clamps so they would clamp to a thicker surface. This idea still works even though over the past three years, due to a decision to lose weight, I'm down to 190. Give the suspenders a try. Last time I bought a pair at WW it seems like I paid around $6.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Milwaukee!

Gun belts can be just as bad as holsters when it comes "not quite perfect". I have 2 pistols, 6 holsters & 4 gun belts. All are good but none are perfect every time. I have just about the opposite build than you so I won't give any recommendations.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Welcome from Utah. All of the previously made suggestions will work. You just have to experiment to find which solution works best for your individual physique. When you are wearing something that fits that close to your body, like a belt or shoes, the proper fit is critical.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You may try a 5 stitch Instructor's belt. There are no holes so you can adjust it to your liking. It is sturdy enough to fully support my P226.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I never wear a belt so I have no advice other than its trial and error and if you don't have a box full of holsters and belts your not trying hard enough :smile:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
As someone mentioned, it would be helpful to know what model handgun you are carrying.

Next, as RetSuppt99 said, a good 5-stitch instructor belt (Wilderness Tactical is one example) is nice, as it is infinitely adjustable.

Robbnj posted some great looking belts but I don't know who makes them. Perhaps he will kindly add a link.

Another option may be a different method of carry, such as a shoulder rig. Like a Galco Miami Classic or very similar Galco Jackass rig.

Perhaps a different gun would solve the problem as well.

Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster System MC224B Up To 52% OFF On Sale

https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/search.do?query=galco+jackass&sku_instock_b=true&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LA%20-%20Galco&utm_term=galco%20jackass&utm_content=Jackass

There is always a way but you have to work to find it. Good Luck !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts