3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think you still will get people going into law enforcement, but it won't be the best and the brightest. Heading to a in-progress crime scene with a violent felon, the clueless ones will confront the felon and possibly be injured or killed. If they are unscathed and anything goes even slightly wrong procedurally, they will be fired and/or sued.
The smarter ones will hang back. They will always be the last on the scene. They will take being the gray man to a whole new level.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I can see the new TV advertisements coming soon, lawyers trolling for anyone who has been arrested, detained, questioned, served with court documents, or otherwise "abused" by uniformed agents of the State. Sue for the cop's bank accounts, pension funds, house, cars, maybe even custody of their kids! Anything and everything on a contingency fee basis, call the toll-free number now!

Call for police assistance? Maybe the phone will be answered, maybe not. Cop shows up to handle your complaint? Maybe a report will be made, maybe not. Arrest someone? Not without a warrant, and even then only when the named party chooses to voluntarily surrender.

Future court proceedings can just begin with "All rise! The investigating and arresting officers will now stand and face the jury for the verdict. The accused is dismissed with humble apologies for any inconvenience this travesty of justice may have caused".

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Interesting indeed! From the actual Bill, HJC/HB 4/a:

"AN ACT RELATING TO CIVIL RIGHTS; ENACTING THE NEW MEXICO CIVIL RIGHTS ACT; PERMITTING AN INDIVIDUAL TO BRING A CLAIM AGAINST A PUBLIC BODY OR PERSON ACTING ON BEHALF OF OR UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF A PUBLIC BODY FOR A VIOLATION OF THE INDIVIDUAL'S RIGHTS, PRIVILEGES OR IMMUNITIES ARISING PURSUANT TO THE BILL OF RIGHTS OF THE CONSTITUTION OF NEW MEXICO; PROHIBITING THE USE OF THE DEFENSE OF QUALIFIED IMMUNITY; PERMITTING ATTORNEY FEES; LIMITING RECOVERY; PROVIDING A THREE-YEAR STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS."
I think the Devil will be in the implementation and how case law developes. There is certainly nothing wrong with protecting people's rights. It seems to me that LE in general is already careful of individual rights so it may not be as big a change for them as it coluld be for the ubiquitous arrogant civil beurauceat we all know and love.
This bears close scrutiny. I think it will require more tweaking.

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So, I've always thought criminals wearing the uniform should be able to charged for crimes. Which they have been. Where I thought the protection should have been removed was AFTER a criminal conviction happened.

This goes way too far. I can't wait to see the lawsuits brought against the politicians.

People have been trying to sue EMTs for years when things went a direction they did not like. They are trying to do a hard task where the outcome being favorable in all aspects isn't likely. This will hurt all emergency response jobs. People will probably sue the 911 operators because they did not get people to respond to a call...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What's wrong with a law that says police don't get a free pass for violating constitutional rights?

Suing EMT or firefighters for not being able to save someone is different. That shouldn't be allowed, unless they did something that actually caused their death.

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Why would anyone go into law enforcement under the current circumstances? A person would have to be naive to think they'll skate through a career without getting sued.
I was sued twice in the 1980's.

·
Premium Member
8,313 Posts
Guess if I was a cop and responding to a shots fired call from a civilian I would hop in my squad car, turn on the lights and siren, keep it under the speed limit, follow all applicable traffic laws, stop at stop signs and red lights and get there after the shooting stops.
Also not sure what to do if I see a crime in progress like an assault. Maybe wait for the fight to end and take witness statements.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
This will not have a happy ending!

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's going to be hard to defund the police, if there aren't any.
Actually, it might be pretty easy. No police, no need for any funding. However, the need for social workers will go up dramatically, especially when they need to replace them so often after they start doing domestic calls and "psychotic person with knife" calls.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hmmm. Mayors, aldermen, district attorneys also fall under that provision. And did the legislators remember to exempt themselves? There could be lot of interesting law suits.

"I don't like what you did with my taxes so I'm suing." This could get real interesting, real fast.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts