Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this on the web. Chime In On It. :confused:
A new way to grip the sub compact Glock

"I was instructed earlier today a new way to grip and shoot the sub compact Glocks. I learned this from an Israeli intelligence agent and it's a method that is becoming more common in the Mo**ad.

I hope I can explain this well enough: Grip the gun with your strong hand and use your weak hand my placing the palm of the week hand under the mag. Both thumbs should point forward towards the muzzle. O.K. that’s as conventional as it gets.

Now with the strong firing hand place your trigger finger alongside the fame just under the slide but not coming in contact with it. Take your middle finger and that is now your trigger finger.

I have seen that while unorthodox it lends more stability in regards to the natural extension of the weapon. It may take some getting used to it, but it does seem to have some usefulness. I have to try it out a little more."

This may possibly be some some sort of innovative "point shooting QK pistol hold" but I've tried it and it sure does not work for me.
How do you say an entire lifetime of Muscle Memory tossed out the old window.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Sounds to werid and goofy to me ... would worry about getting the old trigger finger messed up .. ill fondle my mini glock tomm just to say i tried it

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Point Shooting

Well, I have been Point & Instinctive shooting for a long time.
And so with this particular shooting hold you are supposed to be able to point with your trigger finger at the target you are engaging? I'm not buying it.
That is not my form of instinctive shooting & not my definition of point shooting.
Any tactical folks or shooting instructors here actually teach this hold?
Is it valid?
Just curious?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Don't buy it either! And - the hold is essentially cup and saucer too - not what I consider a very laterally stable hold.

Oh well - always something new!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Glad I don't have to worry about learning a new way to hold my 1911s! :18:

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I was a kid, back before the wheel was invented, I used to do a lot of point shooting with my BB gun. I single-handedly saved my neighborhood from a gang of marauding Coke cans. :) I actually tried using a similar grip, with my right index finger straight and my middle finger on the trigger thinking I could just "point and shoot." It didn't work. I had much better results with a conventional grip.

As feeble-minded as I am, I don't think I'd want to try to learn a new grip unless I was going to use it on EVERY gun EVERY time. Personally, I think the G26/27 works just fine with a conventional grip.

SSKC

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Now that i have had a chance to fondel mini glock and a lack for a night sleep ..

Well if your a righty sticking you finger out puts it pretty much in the way of the ejection port so brass can smack it .. i do have big hands and am a lefty so maybe my grip is to high here...

Now doing the same for the left hand grip puts you finger riding the slide stop another bad ideal if you as me .. P95carry is right its the old cup and saucer grip (thanks) couldnt rember what it was called...

Very very bad way to grip the gun might as well one hand it instead

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I never had a problem gripping my sub compact Glock, and I have large hands. There is no room for the pinky on the grip so it naturally curls under the gun and grips from the bottom. Same thing with my S&W 642. It’s a bad idea to develop different grips for different handguns. If I couldn’t grip a gun with only very minor modifications from my standard grip (the kind my hand automatically does), I would not use it.

·
Banned
239 Posts
Might work with small hands, but with large hands your index finger is going to either rub the slide or get in the way of brass. I can't imagine this being comfortable or second hand nature when the SHTF.

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ditto: JT

It’s a bad idea to develop different grips for different handguns.

And meanwhile I have decently large hands & with a G36 I can't even get my index/trigger finger to point forward using that hold.
:biggrin: It ends up over the top of the slide.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
How do you like your G36? My next purchase is going to be either a G30 or G36. Right now I’m leaning towards the G30.

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glock 36

I love mine...it's a really slim, tight, light, package of .45 ~ Mine is very accurate.
To be truthful ~ Some people hate it.
I don't think that it's the best "All Day Shooting/Plinking Fun At the Range" gun. It's a true "tailored to carry" firearm.
I carry mine more than I ever shoot it but I sure can hit with it!
For me it's a natural pointer.
Felt recoil feels a bit sharper than a Colt Light Weight Commander ~ I think mostly due to the shortened butt & less overall grip surface.
The felt recoil does not bother me at all.
This one has been function flawless since "Day 1" but, I only shoot factory ammo.
For me...it's a keeper. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I guess I can see the though behind the idea. Small grip, not lots of room for you hand. I wouldn't , seems I would wind up with my finger on the slide and either get it jammed or stop the slide from fully cycling.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I can't say I've ever heard of it. An informal survey of the guns on my desk right now says it'd work if say my trigger finger was eaten by Barbara Boxer or Diane Feinstein - works with a G17 acceptably but I'm not going to spend an afternoon on it or alter my shooting style. With a Sig 226 (same grip distance as the Israeli-issued 228), it's uncomfortable as heck - but I am a lefty and the index gets in the way with the decocker. WIth a Sig Pro it was actually about normal, which was surprising.

I took the BHP out of the safe, the usual Israeli standard firearm, and laughed hysterically. Shot lefty, you'd be constantly engaging the slide stop- it's a grip designed to turn it into a single shot. Shot right handed, you're going to gouge the living hell out of your index finger on the BHP slide stop pin coming out the right side. ;)

That said, I thought the Israelis weren't too partial to the Glocks because of the trigger+sand issue, but heck, I'm not Mr. Tacticool anyway.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I never heard of the Israeli’s not liking Glocks. Especially due to any “sand” issue, as Glocks will do better in the sand than about any other handgun. My understanding is Israeli military and LEOs used local produced models to save money with special ops and tactical units getting the higher priced Glocks. They are moving towards outfitting more units with Glocks.

Unfortunately the website that I was going to reference on this ( http://www.isayeret.com/ ) is down for maintenance until 3/15.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts