Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Jefferson Co, LA Sheriff department officials have identified the fallen deputy as David F. Michael Jr. They say that when Deputy Michael made a stop of pedestrian he was shot, and then as he lay on the ground he was shot several more time in the back. The shooter was apprehended about 3 hours later and in now in the hospital for treatment of what, unfortunately, are described as non-life threatening injures. Those injuries were sustained as he was being taken into custody. Details here: JPSO deputy killed: Suspect in custody; deputy identified | New Orleans - WDSU Home

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sad for the Deputy, very sad.

Doesn't body armor cover the back too? It too spooky to me how officers are being shot and killed. Or is the armor covering too small of space? Or?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I've not been to the NOLA area and have no desire to visit there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm spending two days there in Dec with a dozen others from SAR, then boarding a cruise line for a week at sea. We'll be back to NO on the return and fly out the next day. I've been there twice for blade training in the 90's. Several of us attended a voodoo wedding one night in the "quarters" and had a Sgt with NOPD with us who was our quasi guide. Tourists need to stay in the touristy areas where leo's have heavy presence, yet 5 blocks north, roving gangs rule the night and you're easy pickings.

We'll be staying in the tourist areas, but we're still open season for an active shooter while in t

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm spending two days there in Dec with a dozen others from SAR, then boarding a cruise line for a week at sea. We'll be back to NO on the return and fly out the next day. I've been there twice for blade training in the 90's. Several of us attended a voodoo wedding one night in the "quarters" and had a Sgt with NOPD with us who was our quasi guide. Tourists need to stay in the touristy areas where leo's have heavy presence, yet 5 blocks north, roving gangs rule the night and you're easy pickings.

We'll be staying in the tourist areas, but we're still open season for an active shooter while in t
No carry for you in NO, or is it because of the cruise?. It'd be nice if you knew someone you could leave it with.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
No carry for you in NO, or is it because of the cruise?. It'd be nice if you knew someone you could leave it with.

I know that Sgt on the NOPD, but I don't bring a gun with me when I travel anyway. It'll be unconventionals and using SA and my head to get me out of the way should something start close by. Not much else one can do, plan for the worst, hope for the best.

If confronted with a scenario, it's going to be time to get ugly. No one I'm going with has any real h2h or weapons training to speak of. Going alone while those who have significant others with them means I won't be hindered by defending charges. I've made the commander aware of how dangerous the city is, and what transportation and areas to stay within. No exploring the city on foot as some have suggested they'd like to do the day before we board. If they decide to do just that, I won't be tagging along. I've been made quite aware of the risks outside the tourist areas which are blanketed by leo's to protect their tourists.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts

It was like that in the late 60's.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know that Sgt on the NOPD, but I don't bring a gun with me when I travel anyway. It'll be unconventionals and using SA and my head to get me out of the way should something start close by. Not much else one can do, plan for the worst, hope for the best.

If confronted with a scenario, it's going to be time to get ugly. No one I'm going with has any real h2h or weapons training to speak of. Going alone while those who have significant others with them means I won't be hindered by defending charges. I've made the commander aware of how dangerous the city is, and what transportation and areas to stay within. No exploring the city on foot as some have suggested they'd like to do the day before we board. If they decide to do just that, I won't be tagging along. I've been made quite aware of the risks outside the tourist areas which are blanketed by leo's to protect their tourists.
You have a very appropriate mindset.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
This is so sad, I have a good friend about a block from my house I tell him to watch himself and be careful.

·
Banned
131 Posts
When a criminal murders a cop or kid, if he's found guilty, he oughta be dead within a year of arrest. Period. All appeals exhausted. Get the needle in his damned arm.

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
Sad to hear. RIP to the officer.

I've not been to the NOLA area and have no desire to visit there.

New Orleans is actually really nice in some areas. Not a lot of areas, but some areas...

Right - so this should qualify as a "hate crime." As if that makes a difference.
To be a hate crime, it has to be a white male christian harming a black person. You should know this by now!!:mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts