1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
473 Posts
I believe the poll is probably accurate. As to why legislators are scrapping some aspects of proposed gun control legislation, maybe it is because the legislator's views don't necessarily reflect the majority opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Every now and then I watch CNN news (know thine enemy).

The night before last, the anchor nonchalantly stated that "90% of Americans want stricter gun control laws, but Congress is blocking it."

There is no accountability anymore. We already know that the gun-grabbers are a pack of (mostly) dim-witted, (universal) liars. Their quoted stats mean nothing.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Apparently, 60 percent of Americans are uneducated and don't know what the gun laws are.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wonder where this poll was done and who did it? Anyone on this forum been polled about this issue?

·
Super Moderator
19,439 Posts
My shooting buddy back east gets another 15 minutes of fame (the one carrying the flag), at the NSSF counter-protest last week in Newtown.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Polls can be worded and constructed to get the result you want. Pick your group to question. Cities are more liberal than rural. Colleges are more liberal than cities. Pick the group to question based on what you want to hear.

Load the questions to force the answer you want, ie "Would you rather have gun control or be shot by a crazed gun totting idiot with a killer army machine gun?" vs
"Do you believe a congress that fears guns has the right to overthrow the Constitution to eliminate a right of the people?" Same question, phrased a little differently.

Define the terms your own way (The CNN 90% statement). "Do you want psychopaths to have guns or not" becomes 90% want gun control. Gun control ranges from background checks with no fee to confiscation The devil is in the details. The generic 90% statement sounds good but is meaningless until "gun control" is defined.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Every now and then I watch CNN news (know thine enemy).

The night before last, the anchor nonchalantly stated that "90% of Americans want stricter gun control laws, but Congress is blocking it."
And don't forget 74% of NRA members support the Universal Gun Grab - Oops! I meant the Universal Background Check.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Considering that is an NBC Poll (NBC meaning the "Never Backed a Conservative") it stands to reason they would come up with these results. Looking down the written article they come out with this.....

Forty-two percent of respondents prefer a mixture of spending cuts (including to entitlement programs) and revenue increases; 35 percent pick increasing mostly revenue; and just 17 percent choose mostly cutting government spending (including to programs like Medicare and Medicaid).

And.... But the president’s approach to deficit reduction – calling for a combination of spending cuts and increased tax revenues – is more popular than the Republicans’ cuts-only approach.

I think I am going to have to call BS on this data. Of course I could conduct a study and make the figures show that if you are anywhere within a 1/2 mile of a door knob you are at risk of being murdered. I guess we need to ban door knobs as well.......

So, are we to believe that American's actually want to pay more taxes and to heck with the deficit? Funny, that sounds very familiar....oh yeah, that's what the same folks who are trying to gut the 2nd Amendment want to do.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You can follow the link to the actual poll, which included other topics as well. Here are the gun related questions, my comments will follow.

Do you think it is more important to:
Protect gun rights 44
Control gun violence 53
Unsure 3

Do you think the laws covering the sale of firearms should be more strict, less strict, or kept as they are now?
More strict 60
Less strict 5
Kept as they are now 33
Unsure 2

Do you support or oppose legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons?
Support 59
Oppose 37
Unsure 4

Protect gun rights vs stop gun violence - those are two unrelated items, bad question.
Laws covering sales of guns - how many of the non-gun buying public have the slightest clue what's involved?
AWB - again, most respondents don't know what it is they are being asked about, much less the near negligible impact "assault weapons" have on crime or "gun violence"

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
In a telemarketer voice: Hello resident in NYC. Do you want more gun control laws? Why yes we do......National poll update, 90% of americans favor more gun control.....

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
come on NBC???? not credible just look at the demographics

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I wonder where this poll was done and who did it?
Probably on their website, and only advertised to their viewing audience and website traffic, therefore the results are heavily skewed due to a biased sample base.

70% of people believe that 98% of statistics are flawed, and more than 65% of those are made up...

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Well, here's the definitive word on what people believe around the country concerning firearms. Of course, I state that with much sarcasm.

Morning Joe poll: 60 percent of Americans want stricter gun laws - First Read

Even if this could be considered a legitimate poll, why are many of the legislator's bills being severely questioned and some partially scrapped ?
Of course. It's an NBC poll, i.e. National Bastion of Communism. Only 60%? I'm surprised it's not being reported as 95%.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I think that they should run background checks on people who are so starved for attention that they actually participate in a telephone survey.

"Gee, I hope my phone will ring today. Anybody, just anybody, please call." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Oh how simple things would be if we didn't compete for certain peoples emotional opinions. Like others have said, word the questions a certain way and ask a certain audience and you'll get the response you want and ceratin people will inflate the results. Worthless is what they are.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wonder where this poll was done and who did it? Anyone on this forum been polled about this issue?
The problems with polls like this is who participates.

for example...
phone rings... I pick it up... "hello, we would like you to...". I hang up without a word.

I refuse to let anyone use my phone (which I have only because required by work) invade my privacy. So eliminate all harried, middle class like myself who refuse to participate.

So lets expand the audience to include a certain class of gun enthusiasts:
phone rings... gunnut picks it up... "hello, we would like you to participate in a poll. First question: do you own a gun?". Gunnut hangs up without a word, since he is worried about the type of people who want to find out how many and what types of guns he has...

So eliminate certain hardcore gun enthusiasts.

At the end of the day, who participates? College students with too much time on their hands. Underemployed workers watching jeopardy. House wives.

And what is the accuracy of this sampling? Does it reflect the entire population, nation wide. Or does it only include city dwellers, or those who frequent their website, etc.

Or maybe it is in the way the question is asked.

"Do you support legislation that would make it illegal to murder toddlers with common firearms?". Who can say no to that. Pollster reports "91% of Americans support stronger gun control legislation".

Remember, statistics don't lie, but every statistician is a lier...

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
100% of the people polled in my house favored the 2nd amendment as written and thought everybody should have the ability to own the same Individual firearms our Military carries like M4's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts