Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new PPK stainless at lunch today. Really want the blued version but Walther said the plant in Germany hasn't made any in over a year. Might have a run in October or November but very uncertain. The LGS called and said they had a stainless one in and asked if I wanted it. Thought I should go ahead.

My PPK/S now has a sibling. Hopefully get to the range this weekend.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congrats, I've always wanted one.
The PPK has been on my "next gun" list for a decade, but it never quite makes it to the top of the list. There's always something that I want/need more and the unusually high price for a flashy 380 always keeps it down on the list. I did at least buy a PPK BB gun for the kids.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
I though the new batch were made in the USA as the newest ones I have seen say USA made ?

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Picked up a new PPK stainless at lunch today. Really want the blued version but Walther said the plant in Germany hasn't made any in over a year. Might have a run in October or November but very uncertain. The LGS called and said they had a stainless one in and asked if I wanted it. Thought I should go ahead.

My PPK/S now has a sibling. Hopefully get to the range this weekend.

View attachment 364153
I've thought about a PPK several times. Still don't have one. :(

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I am a big fan of the product line- two .32 PPK (1961 blued and late production S&W stainless) and a .25 TPH (Ranger stainless) currently are in use.

Pretty sure the new guns are made in Fort Smith, AK. The PPK doesn't have the import points required by GCA 68. The PPK/S was the workaround, but eventually Walther just started making both models here- by Ranger, S&W, and now the company owned shop.

I wish the new ones had kept the dovetail rear sight.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Pretty sure the new guns are made in Fort Smith, AK. The PPK doesn't have the import points required by GCA 68. The PPK/S was the workaround, but eventually Walther just started making both models here- by Ranger, S&W, and now the company owned shop.

Yep its weird they made the smaller size ppk here but still kept the longer /s beaver tail of early guns

The newest batch are suppose to the best of the USA made and even better then latter imports guns which had some qc issues

I still like a good pre 68 32 ppk myself though

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Since the early 1970s I have owned Walther PP, PPK, and PPK/s pistols in .380 and .22LR. All have been very good pistols, well made and accurate within the limitations of design. One factor they all share has been a nasty tendency to rip the skin off the web of my shooting hand when I fail to consciously shift my grip to prevent contact with the slide under recoil.

I will readily admit that this is mostly my own failing, not the pistols. Being an old 1911 shooter I have a tendency to use a high grip, and that places the skin between my thumb and forefinger right alongside the lower edges of the slide as it functions.

Same has been true for me with the Sig P230/P232 and Makarov pistols, all basically similar in size and function.

I could probably train myself to grip these smaller pistols to avoid this little problem. Thought I would mention it for those who are considering acquiring one. If you like to avoid bloody rips in your skin you need to pay attention to your grip on these pistols.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Since the early 1970s I have owned Walther PP, PPK, and PPK/s pistols in .380 and .22LR. All have been very good pistols, well made and accurate within the limitations of design. One factor they all share has been a nasty tendency to rip the skin off the web of my shooting hand when I fail to consciously shift my grip to prevent contact with the slide under recoil.

I will readily admit that this is mostly my own failing, not the pistols. Being an old 1911 shooter I have a tendency to use a high grip, and that places the skin between my thumb and forefinger right alongside the lower edges of the slide as it functions.

Same has been true for me with the Sig P230/P232 and Makarov pistols, all basically similar in size and function.

I could probably train myself to grip these smaller pistols to avoid this little problem. Thought I would mention it for those who are considering acquiring one. If you like to avoid bloody rips in your skin you need to pay attention to your grip on these pistols.

Its funny its the reason I dont own the 380 models ..Everone bit me ...32ACP never had the same issue

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I though the new batch were made in the USA as the newest ones I have seen say USA made ?
The frames are made in the Walther facility at Fort Smith, Arkansas. The slides are made in Germany.

Reactions: WrongRecroom

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
The frames are made in the Walther facility at Fort Smith, Arkansas. The slides are made in Germany.
That makes sense since the frames are the "firearm". Interesting that they are splitting production.

Reactions: ctr and Wild Onion

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That makes sense since the frames are the "firearm". Interesting that they are splitting production.
Speculating that Walther would prefer all pistols were made in Germany but the importation restrictions force their hand. Government interference.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts

Interesting way of doing it for sure ..That I have not heard ...

Reactions: ctr
1 - 14 of 14 Posts