Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never reloaded before, but I'm in the process of getting set up for it. I received a new bench for Christmas, built with the Cabela's kit, and was given an old Lyman press. The only markings on it are the letters "S-T" on the side, and it has six holes for dies. It is quite old, but appears to be clean and in working order.

Can I use this to get started in reloading, or should I look at getting a whole new setup? All I have is the press, and would obviously need dies and everything else that goes along with it. Should I try to use this press, or just start from scratch?

·
Super Moderator
18,162 Posts
I'd use it, its a great press and its faster than a single stage press.

Not a thing wrong with it. I have the Dillon 550b, an RCBS, and a Lyman turret which is the same one you have. They all have their uses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I was looking at getting an all new setup with the Hornady progressive, but it seems what I've got may be a good place to start. I'll be getting with a nearby guru of reloading after the first to see if he can help me get up and running with this Lyman.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would defenitely use the current press before I went out and bought a new one. This will give you the chance to get familiar with reloading before dropping a lot of coin on something you may or may not need or use. Good luck and have fun with it!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Use it. There's probably no reason you can't use it as a single stage for a bit to get used to the operations and things that might go wrong. When you're ready to speed things up a bit, switch to the turret capability

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'd use it, its a great press and its faster than a single stage press.

Not a thing wrong with it. I have the Dillon 550b, an RCBS, and a Lyman turret which is the same one you have. They all have their uses.
You sound like me. :wave:

I have a 550 (pre B version), an RockChucker and a late 60's Lyman Spar-T turret (it doesn't have a handle on the turret - you just grab the dies and rotate). That's probably what the OP has. I use it as a seating/crimp press for those calibers I don't run through the Dillon. It's still a great beginner's press, much better than any of the Lee presses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a couple of iPhone camera shots of the press (and my new bench!):

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Nice bench and the only difference between your press and mine is the color of the frame. Mine is gray.

I have no idea how many thousand rounds I have loaded on that press. It's a great little press. It's only shortcoming is the lack of leverage to handle rifle cartridges in the sizing process. For pistol rounds it is great. Be sure to use carbide sizing dies - it makes thing much easier, not to mention not having to mess with case lube.

Congratulations of getting a nice little press.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts