Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum with a 5.5” barrel

Mostly for the range but will also serve as a woods gun.

36624847-D31E-4294-904E-5705D27181B6.jpeg

93102828-5BF2-4E76-A7D6-15B7694D9B9F.jpeg

·
Registered
Various
15,783 Posts
Sweet!

Reactions: Erich1B

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Good choice. A lot of fun to shoot. The rounds in the pics are 225gr FTX.

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Cool! I like those grips. Kind of wish my .41 mag. Blackhawk came with those. It's got the old somewhat lighter colored stocks. Got 2 other Super Blackhawks in .44 mag., but it's my .41 I really love.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nice!

I've spent many hours in the woods with a Blackhawk as a companion.
Don't carry it as often anymore since the incident with the meth lab way back in the woods. I tend to carry a full size 9mm when riding trails. The only time I carry the Blackhawk is when I'm hunting.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Sweet!

In all my years of handgun enthusiasm, I never quite got bitten by the single-action bug. Love my .44 Mags, and I'm very partial to the Ruger revolvers I've had, but they've all been DA's! Once in a while, though, a post like yours pops up and makes me wonder if maybe I should dip a toe in the SA waters!

Only problem is, I'm sort of a Colt fanatic and if I should suddenly feel the need to start acquiring SAA's, that could get real expensive real fast!!! :blink:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the comments everyone. Never had a single action revolver before but I’m a huge Western movie fan so the Ruger is sort of a nostalgia throwback for me.

Airslot, thank you for the link.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
That will be just dandy for tromping around the palmetto thickets of FL, if you come across a Piney Woods Rooter!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Congratulations ! Super Blackhawks, Blackhawks, Vaquero’s ...... are fun !!!

Reactions: Erich1B

·
Registered
915 Posts
That's a fantastic looking Blackhawk.

I too am dipping my toes in the SA world for the first time and am waiting on delivery of my Blackhawk 44 SPL Flattop Stainless.
If I was younger and shot as much as I used to, I'd have to have one of those also or maybe an older 3 screw.

I'm sure Erich1B will enjoy his new Super Blackhawk. I remember my first SBH and then a convertable .45 and then a custom .45 New Model 4 5/8 and then a .44 Hunter model. I've enjoyed them all. I wish I'd bought a U.S.Arms Abiline in the 70's when I had a chance. The bluing on those was alot like a Colt Python but they didn't have one in .44 I also remember when the Colts were on the shelves but who would have ever thought Colt would have stopped making them.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Don't carry it as often anymore since the incident with the meth lab way back in the woods.
Please do tell (or provide link to where you told before)...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Please do tell (or provide link to where you told before)...
My google fu isn't very good today.

I was riding ATV with a Friend in Northern Minnesota.
We were on a logging road when I came around a curve and there were two guys with their lab set up.
They were both armed and I felt a little outgunned with a 6-shot 357 revolver.
Thankfully they left everything and took off, but there were a few tense moments before they left.

Meth Heads are not noted for their rational thinking. Still remember the guy in WI that called the cops because the squirrels were spying on him.

Haven't been riding up there in a couple years. The last time I went I took the P89 and a Rossi 92 carbine in 45 Colt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
imho getting just one ruger single action revolver is like ordering an ice cream cone, can you really be always satisfied with just one scoop? for me the bare minimum is a ruger single six 22wmr/lr, and a ruger blackhawk 45lc/acp or 357/37/9 convertible, depending on your favorite semiauto pistol ammo. or both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts