Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed Cabelas selling this new round from Remington.

HD Ultimate Home Defense Loads

Its interesting that they are marketing these as self defense loads even though they use birdshot. Has anybody tested these rounds out? Would that size birdshot have any effect on somebody that broke into your house?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I will preface by saying that my HD shotgun is loaded with 00 buck.

However...at home defense shooting range, in which range will be measured in feet, not yards, the BB load would be rather effective. Having seen, first hand, what birdshot does to large mammals at close range, I really don't doubt it's effectiveness at halitosis range--and I mean single digit feet.

But, my guess would be that Remington is more worried about errant rounds going through walls and hitting unintended targets, which is why they aren't buckshot.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Personally, I think the #2/#4 shot size does leave good patterns out of my 870. I really like the #2 steel shot at <30'. That said, mine is still loaded with 00 buck or slugs, and sometimes the reduced recoil in the buckshot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ditto on what Ram Rod said. But for me, Benneke Tac HD slugs and 00 Buck is what I have at the ready.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have a client who survived a 10mm to the brainpan.
I have others who've survived being hit by cars, shot & stabbed multiple times.

I keep my HD shotgun loaded with 000 buck.

Extreme, maybe...

But then again, when you live in zombie land you don't play.

·
Registered
916 Posts
As far as I'm concerned Federal flightcontrol 00 buck is what is loaded in my 12ga.

Birdshot MAY work. 00 buck WILL work!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I think we have to remember that there are situations requiring penetrating walls and doors. In a case like that, I want something that will punch through an obstruction. I'll stick with buckshot.

·
Banned
480 Posts
It's just me and the wife in the house, nearest neighbor is about a hundred yards away in all directions. I'll stay with the 00 buck magnum load for our home defense. :image035:

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
If it won't go thru a couple of walls, it damn sure won't reach the BG's vitals.
Bingo. The testing I've seen shows that #1 buckshot is the best balance of pellet size, penetration, and number of pellets per shell.

It's harder to find than 00 buck, but is available online.

#4 buckshot is more available, but does not penetrate as well as #1 buck.

·
Registered
862 Posts
interesting. i think i'm with everyone else on this i'd rather just have 00 in the tube.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I prefer to stick with 00 till LEOs and others have a chance to field test the new Remington ammo under real conditions.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Not everybody can accept the penetration of buckshot or slugs in their home. A miss in my split plan home puts rounds in my son's or mother in law's room or my neighbor's kitchen. Remington has loaded a Duplex load of 6x4 or 4x2 for years, and Federal used to load a copper plated #2 birdshot shell in their Personal Defense line. The Federal had a spreader wad, though. I got poor patterns with it. I much prefer the Flite Control loads to put more pellets on target. The Remington Duplex loads I have were for duck hunting and were in OD green hulls with black plated bases.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use my goose loads in my goose gun for HD. BB's and 2's.

I figure at 15 feet or so....they will do a nice job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts