Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw an ad for a Remora holster deal - buy one, get one free. Figured I'd give Remora a try and ordered a Gen2 for my Shield (w/safety) and one for my LCPII (no safety). $26, which wasn't bad, but $10 shipping, which made it just an OK deal. I will say that the Remora is far superior to the Sticky holster I have for the Shield. It really works -- holds very secure even without tightening my belt much, and very comfortable. Much more comfy than a kydex with belt clip(s). Doesn't move, slip, or migrate around at all, and I took a 3 mile hike and then threw ball for my dog while wearing it. It also does fine for pocket carry, even though the Shield is really a bit big for it. A good "floating" holster. (y)

The "free" pocket Remora for the little LCPII? I dunno. I'm still leery of carrying a pistol with basically a SA trigger w/ no safety in a soft holster, and am still using my Vedder kydex pocket Locker for pocket carry. Maybe the Remora would be safe, but I'm not absolutely sure. It's way better than the cheap little soft pocket holster that came with the Ruger, but....

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Several years ago Remora had a special: Buy a holster and get a magazine holster free. We both shot Glocks, with their wide magazines. Now those Glockish magazine holsters are PERFECT gun holsters for my SIG p238's and also my Kimber Micro .380. I also use them on the range to hold 2 each of the skinny magazines that I use now. I actually have some very nice Kydex IWB and leather OWB holsters for the SIG's, but the Remoras are there whenever needed or wanted. And as a bonus, they take up almost no room in the holster drawer!

Gramps uses a Remora almost exclusively anymore for his Glock 27 and never has a problem with it slipping around. You should wash the exterior from time to time to wash off lint, grease, etc. to get the exterior surface back to the original "stick to it" state.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have several Remora holsters and find them very useful. The photos below show them with two of my carry guns - a Kahr MK9 and a Glock 36. The big advantages of the Remora to me are:
- Soft and comfortable
- Easily adjusted to any spot on the belt
- Inexpensive
- Conceal very well
- Hold the gun tight against the body
- Don't move much with normal activities

Fashion accessory Metal Personal protective equipment Electric blue Font
Sleeve Personal protective equipment Font Handgun holster Rectangle

·
Registered
384 Posts
Got Remora? I really like the one with the Hook strap for lightweight shorts in summer.
Nice pocket wallet for rear or front pocket.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I like them for pocket carry. I had issues with IWB with them slipping down in my pants on a couple of occasions. Not cool when suddenly your gun falls out your pants leg on the floor. I use them for pocket carry, and have my Sig P365 in one now in my jeans. I also have pocket carried both a Kahr P380 and CM9 in Remora's. I've also found when they start to lose their grip a good washing and air drying will make them sticky again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have more than a half dozen Remora's. I just recently bought their cell phone holster. Free's up he pocket and easy to carry and remove. Nice slim comfortable design.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Adding to my earlier post: The only time I had a "problem" with a Remora was once when I used the bathroom at a friend's house and put gun in its Remora on the narrow shelf which separated the toilet from the sink top. As soon as I got back home, after our visit, I realized that MY GUN was still in Sandy's bathroom! OH GOSH, OH DEAR! She was not a shooter and saw no reason for the average person to be carrying a gun.

I phoned her and said I forgot something, rushed right back to her house (less than a 5 minute drive), rushed back to the guest bathroom, tucked gun and holster into my waistband, rushed back out and said "Thank you!" and back home.

She never did figure what that was about and, being Sandy, she had the sense to not ask. 😉

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
So I saw an ad for a Remora holster deal - buy one, get one free. Figured I'd give Remora a try and ordered a Gen2 for my Shield (w/safety) and one for my LCPII (no safety). $26, which wasn't bad, but $10 shipping, which made it just an OK deal. I will say that the Remora is far superior to the Sticky holster I have for the Shield. It really works -- holds very secure even without tightening my belt much, and very comfortable. Much more comfy than a kydex with belt clip(s). Doesn't move, slip, or migrate around at all, and I took a 3 mile hike and then threw ball for my dog while wearing it. It also does fine for pocket carry, even though the Shield is really a bit big for it. A good "floating" holster. (y)

The "free" pocket Remora for the little LCPII? I dunno. I'm still leery of carrying a pistol with basically a SA trigger w/ no safety in a soft holster, and am still using my Vedder kydex pocket Locker for pocket carry. Maybe the Remora would be safe, but I'm not absolutely sure. It's way better than the cheap little soft pocket holster that came with the Ruger, but....
Have one for my LCP and like it.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
916 Posts
I have three Sticky Holster‘s for my three Glocks and I have never had an issue with them. They’re soft they’re comfortable and I use them sometimes for a quick trip to the grocery store and for gun storage in my safe.

Please tell me Remora users why don’t you like Sticky Holster’s?

Reactions: Lockback

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
I have three Sticky Holster‘s for my three Glocks and I have never had an issue with them. They’re soft they’re comfortable and I use them sometimes for a quick trip to the grocery store and for gun storage in my safe.

I think it is not "don't like" but rather a matter of which one you buy first. If you like it you "stick" with that brand. Gramps and I bought Remora first and saw no reason to try the Sticky brand.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I have both, and found the Remora stays in place (wherever you put it) much better.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I have both and use both. Their construction is quite different. I’ve grown to slightly favor the Sticky but the Remoras are terrific too.
For a quick trip to the store, they’re hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Lockback and @ShooterGranny both have good points. Both holsters work well. Most of the time I only need to "wear" a gun for a relatively short time -- I don't bother carrying at home. The Remora and Sticky holsters are easy to just slip in IWB and go, and stay pretty durn securely. They are also very good as a "floater" holster. I can slip my subcompact 9 on IWB or in my cargo pants front slit pocket,, change it over to my parka pocket in winter for easy pocket access if need be, slip it between car seats on a long drive, etc. For me the Remora works better, but the Sticky is good as well.
I still find myself using a kydex clip on holster for more secure feeling long term wear, but that may just be a mental thing. These sticky-type holsters are surprisingly effective and much softer on the skin and more comfortable than kydex or leather, imo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is my sticky story.
My wife and I went to RK to pick up a couple things. I had my J frame in a sticky holster IWB at about 4 o'clock. Right after we walked in I felt the gun slide down inside my pants and down my leg. I told my wife hold on I have a problem and have to grab my leg where the gun was at the back of my knee to keep it from sliding any farther.she looks at me and says. What's wrong with your leg? At this point I have to let go of it to keep ahold of my grand son That I'm carrying. So as soon as I let go of the gun it slid down to my ankle. I tell her I don't have a problem with my leg its at my ankle now. She says why were you holding your leg if your ankle hurts. I tell her nothing hurts it's my gun. If I move my foot it's going to fall out of my pants on the floor. Of course she says how did it get there? She bends down and pulls it out and sticks it in her purse real quick. So the sticky holster does mostly pocket carry duty now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts