Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,198 Posts

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I am going to try/ buy one tonight or tomorrow.. Local dealer got 2 in today...If my wife likes it, she gets to keep it and I get her LcP custom.. I will let everyone know what I think of it.. bob
I will really await your review. I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with my LCP. I carry mine as a bug about 85% of the time. It is so darn reliable and I can do well with it from 10 yards and closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
I will really await your review. I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with my LCP. I carry mine as a bug about 85% of the time. It is so darn reliable and I can do well with it from 10 yards and closer.

I did buy the LCP II... It was priced at $295.. However, I was given $175 trade on a Ruger LCR .22 8 round revolver... Terrible gun, could barely pull the 22 lb trigger, and when fired I often missed a foot square target from 10 feet away, seriously... So I have about $130 in the LCP II with the trade of the little Ruger .22

First impressions of the gun were ok.. It is NO better a gun than the LCP Custom we brought down as a comparison..
It did NOT rack any easier than the Custom.. Perhaps even a bit harder, possibly because its new...
Its trigger felt comparable to the Custom when dry fired I guess.. It did not raise any red flags. We won't know till we get some rounds through it and handle it some.
The trigger dongle safety makes almost no sense to me, but its not intrusive, so whatever..
It goes into my wife's expensive custom fit carbon fiber LCP Custom holster, and the holster is usable with the II , but does NOT snap into place as the Custom does. There is a bit of a size difference according to the holster, but your eye can't discern much.. Weight is pretty close. The only real advantage over the Custom is the slide hold open after the last round..
My wife got first dibs, and she decided to keep her Custom, so I will carry the II..
Most of the big "improvements" in trigger and rack effort that I read about were directed at the standard LCP.. The trigger issues, and racking issues on the standard LCP WERE improved on the Custom which seems to have been discontinued.. It is GONE from the Ruger site,,, It is NOT a better gun than the Custom as far as I can see without firing and handling it for a while ...

So now that the Custom is gone, you can only buy the standard LCP or the LCP II at a somewhat upscaled price. They should have kept the Custom in the LCP line as well IMHO.
Its a nice little gun, but only comes with 1 -6 round mag which bugs me.. It does come with a CC holster which is a nice touch.. Overall, I like the Custom better, but at $130 and that dopey .22 snub, I bought it anyway .. It seems fine really , but I was NOT blown away the way I was with the Custom first time I tried it out.
If the guy didn't give me a nice trade deal, I might have walked, but for $130+ trade I think I can learn to like it just fine.. I think it will loosen up a bit and get that "lived in"" feeling the LCP Custom has after 500 round rounds fired...

anyway, my bride keeps her LCP Custom, I keep the II.. Just last week I bought a Custom of my own, but cancelled when I read about the II.. I suppose I did ok getting a nice little .380 for $130 and a gun i hated. I don't think there is really that much difference in these guns but to be sure, it is nicer than a standard LCP, but NOT nicer than the Custom it replaced...all things considered until range time, I will call it wash.... bob

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
OP "I don't think there is really that much difference in these guns but to be sure, it is nicer than a standard LCP, but NOT nicer than the Custom it replaced...all things considered until range time, I will call it wash.... bob"

Thanks, Bob, for the review. No II's have arrived in my area yet, but they should be here anytime. I was wondering how the "improved II" matched up to the Custom. I had an early Gen I that was very reliable, was sent back for the factory modification, and sold to a friend last year. I replaced it with a Custom, which I have been very pleased with, so I will likely just hang on to it.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I did buy the LCP II... It was priced at $295.. However, I was given $175 trade on a Ruger LCR .22 8 round revolver... Terrible gun, could barely pull the 22 lb trigger, and when fired I often missed a foot square target from 10 feet away, seriously... So I have about $130 in the LCP II with the trade of the little Ruger .22

First impressions of the gun were ok.. It is NO better a gun than the LCP Custom we brought down as a comparison..
It did NOT rack any easier than the Custom.. Perhaps even a bit harder, possibly because its new...
Its trigger felt comparable to the Custom when dry fired I guess.. It did not raise any red flags. We won't know till we get some rounds through it and handle it some.
The trigger dongle safety makes almost no sense to me, but its not intrusive, so whatever..
It goes into my wife's expensive custom fit carbon fiber LCP Custom holster, and the holster is usable with the II , but does NOT snap into place as the Custom does. There is a bit of a size difference according to the holster, but your eye can't discern much.. Weight is pretty close. The only real advantage over the Custom is the slide hold open after the last round..
My wife got first dibs, and she decided to keep her Custom, so I will carry the II..
Most of the big "improvements" in trigger and rack effort that I read about were directed at the standard LCP.. The trigger issues, and racking issues on the standard LCP WERE improved on the Custom which seems to have been discontinued.. It is GONE from the Ruger site,,, It is NOT a better gun than the Custom as far as I can see without firing and handling it for a while ...

So now that the Custom is gone, you can only buy the standard LCP or the LCP II at a somewhat upscaled price. They should have kept the Custom in the LCP line as well IMHO.
Its a nice little gun, but only comes with 1 -6 round mag which bugs me.. It does come with a CC holster which is a nice touch.. Overall, I like the Custom better, but at $130 and that dopey .22 snub, I bought it anyway .. It seems fine really , but I was NOT blown away the way I was with the Custom first time I tried it out.
If the guy didn't give me a nice trade deal, I might have walked, but for $130+ trade I think I can learn to like it just fine.. I think it will loosen up a bit and get that "lived in"" feeling the LCP Custom has after 500 round rounds fired...

anyway, my bride keeps her LCP Custom, I keep the II.. Just last week I bought a Custom of my own, but cancelled when I read about the II.. I suppose I did ok getting a nice little .380 for $130 and a gun i hated. I don't think there is really that much difference in these guns but to be sure, it is nicer than a standard LCP, but NOT nicer than the Custom it replaced...all things considered until range time, I will call it wash.... bob
Well, we've been cultured to appreciate a thumb safety on single action hammer fired autos. It looks like Ruger is out to change that cultural thinking. I hope this makes sense. :image035:

Welcome to DC, GlockDuh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just picked up one today. Both of my LCPs were original generation until I got this new II. I think it's a huge improvement over the first gen, but I haven't fired the custom or the gen 1.5 with the improved trigger. It really feels better than the S&W Bodyguard as well.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just picked up one today. Both of my LCPs were original generation until I got this new II. I think it's a huge improvement over the first gen, but I haven't fired the custom or the gen 1.5 with the improved trigger. It really feels better than the S&W Bodyguard as well.
I had my LCP II out to the range today, we ran maybe 20-25 rounds through in and about the same for my wifes LCP Custom.. they are about the same.. No real earth shaking revelations. ,The only thing thats an advantage is the last round hold open.. Otherwise its about the same in feel,kickback , and "shootability"... That being said I held,racked and dry fired a Sig Sauer P 238 at the range.. Now THAT is a really nice, superior quality little .380.. The LCP looked and felt cheezy in comparison, and the Sig racked SUPER easy , my wife is sad we bought another LCP after she saw the Sig.... Her arthritis is severe and she can barely rack her LCP custom, which we thought was the easiest racking .380 CCW... We were wrong, the sig is much softer.. Its a serious firearm, and I was duly impressed.. there is a reason it costs double what the LCP II costs... bob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes I've also got a Sig P238 an it is one sweet shooting little pistol. Your wife would love it if she's ok with carrying cocked and locked.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I looked at one today. I liked it a lot, but not enough to move away from my current LCP, which has been flawless. The new LCPII is a bit thicker which I don't like for pocket carry, but it sure felt good in the hand and looks MUCH better than my current LCP.

If I was in the market for a new pocket pistol, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the LCPII.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I played with one in my lgs Thursday. It's OK but I already have a Custom that has a 13# Wolff recoil spring, a Fort Wayne tactical 3 spring set along with Hogue grip. I believe I'll just keep it.:smile:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, Put 200 rounds critical defense through this little gun without a hiccup. Proved to be plenty accurate, points well and recoil was relatively mild. Sights were useless for my old eyes but I wouldn't expect anyone in need of this pistol to use the sights. The most significant aspect of this pistol was the trigger. It's still hammer fired but it feels about 6 lbs and breaks crisply. Clearly the best DA trigger I have felt in any mouse gun.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Hey, philly01, that LCP ll is a single action trigger. The trigger dongle is your safety.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts