Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up a new Ruger P-345 this past Saturday after reading some very positive things about this firearm.

The particulars:
The gun is 45 ACP, has a synthetic frame, holds 8+1 rounds, weighs in at 29 oz., and it is just 1.2" wide including the slide stop. Barrel length is 4.25" The grip, to me, feels similar to that of the 1911. Balance and weight are very acceptable. Mine has a stainless slide, but, it is also available in black.

Initially, I had a little problem when I tried to load a handload of semi-wadcutter. As it turns out, the bullet was seated too high, resulting in the gun getting locked up with the bullet stuck in the chamber throat. Once I got that fixed, it was smooth sailing.

At the Range:
Happy to report, I fired a total of 190 rounds (mixed factory and handload FMJ, Remington Golden Sabres, and Fed HST. ) without a single hitch.

The gun has a manual safety/decocker. If you drop the hammer using the decocker, you must push the safety back to the fire position,and the pistol can then be fired double action. Double action trigger is long and somewhat gritty, loading up towards the end. Single action trigger is surprising light, smooth and crisp.

Accuracy:
Factory Remington 230 FMJ and WW 230 Gr. FMJ turned out the most accurate targets of the mixture of ammo I had. The four corner circles in the pic are each 7 rounds. Top 2 are Remington bottom 2 circles are WW. These were shot at 11yds.
Recoil was very manageable, and, in a side/side comparison with my Glock 30, noticeable recoil seemed less with the Ruger.

All in all, I really like this gun. It's a keeper, and I have a Crossbreed Supertuck on its way. When it gets here, I'll be good to go!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Great review and a great looking pistola...:congrats:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Gotta love the Ruger P series!

Great shooting and groupings you got there. :yup:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Gotta love the Ruger P series!

Great shooting and groupings you got there. :yup:

·
Registered
489 Posts
As I have posted before I had a P-345 for a while and every fouth or fifth DA trigger pull the hammer would drop but it wouldn't fire. NOt even a light primer strike.

I was the original owner, and it was never a display gun so I was pretty certain it was never dry fired without an empty mag in it.

I sent it back to Ruger a few times and all they would say was it was a timing problem. I could never trust the gun so I got rid of it after the last trip back to Ruger.

I hope you have bette rluck with yours.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maddy I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the 345. Just curious: are you certain you took the gun off safe when you tried the double action fire?

Anyway, a gun is a mechanical device and like any, sometimes they just don't work right. I would have pressed Ruger to repair it if you liked the firearm.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My P345 and the CrossBreed SuperTuck go very well together - especially since I'm losing weight...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Well I got my Supertuck, and carried the P345 all day. First off, kudos to the good folks at Crossbreed holsters. I received my holster in less than a week! This is my second Crossbreed holster, my first actually was a pre-supertuck non-adjustable model. This new holster is very comfortable, and the ability to adjust height and cant is a real nice feature.

The combination of the Crossbreed holster, and the P-345 make for a light, thin, concealable and potent combination.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
With a bit of use, the double action pull will become silky.

·
Registered
236 Posts
With a bit of use, the double action pull will become silky.
THere are ways to speed up the process using burnishing tools on the proper places on the frame and stones on the steel parts.

Did a trigger job on my P85 long time ago, 10 pounds smooth double action and 4 pounds single. I don't usually carry it, so I added a trigger stop to get rid of the over-travel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also LOVE my P345. I use a smartcarry holster and it works for me.
I want a crossbreed but my system works fine and I would be upset if I
brought a crossbreed and didnt like it. Maybe soon I will convert.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also LOVE my P345. I use a smartcarry holster and it works for me.
I want a crossbreed but my system works fine and I would be upset if I
brought a crossbreed and didnt like it. Maybe soon I will convert.
I have a Smart Carry and when I do wear it, I use it in the
4 o'clock position with the grip sticking just above my waist band. For me, it's easier to deal with than having a gun pointing at my kid brother, and having to reach down there to retrieve it!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Congrats..heard great reports about that Ruger. Buy some extra mags(so you can rotate + carry at least 1 spare on you)and have at it. Good Luck!:smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts