Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new Ruger Redhawk last week and got out to shoot it just recently. I mentioned in another thread that the fit and finish isn't amazing for the price, but it does shoot and function well. I tried two different 45 colt loads and one 45acp load while out the other day, and the 45 colt loads were quite accurate and right on, whereas the 45acp loads were a little less consistent and shot low. Sight picture is pretty good and uses an adjustable rear box with an orange front blade.

Overall I am real excited by the gun and look forward to getting my Simply Rugged holster for it in time for deer season. Plus, I want to try some other loads in it such as 45 Super and 460 Rowland. I will probably end up just using hot Underwood 45 colt xtp loads which is what I use in my levergun, but it's nice to have options.

IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1351.JPG IMG_1350.JPG

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Are your F&F comments "...for the money" related to the wood-to-metal of the grips or simply expecting more metal "handwork" on the stainless? Thanks. That's a fine revolver IMHO! :yup:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are your F&F comments "...for the money" related to the wood-to-metal of the grips or simply expecting more metal "handwork" on the stainless? Thanks. That's a fine revolver IMHO! :yup:
Well it's due to things like the gouge you can see on the cylinder, the rough finish on the metal (looks like it was finished with 220 or 400 grit paper, you can see the light sanding scratches in the first two pics) and other things like uneven cuts on the cylinder locks. So its just a combination of things, but yes, I guess I was expecting a little more metal handwork. I still think the gun looks great, and I love the rounded wood grips, but I was just a tad disappointed in the finish. Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Very nice gun!

My friend got the first one of those that I saw...and he is pleased with it.

I have a revolver that will shoot the auto cartridges...but, I cast bullets and reload...so I see no advantage for them, for myself.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Nice pick up. Depending on what your using it for I rather have function then looks.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Nice pick up. Depending on what your using it for I rather have function then looks."

Thanks! I agree, it seems to function just fine.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
As young man een before turning 21, I often carried a .44 Redhawk either open carry
or concealed on our ranch land, so the 45/45 Redhawk has some appeal to me.

After singing onto my first dept. the guys made fun of my long coats in the cooler
months and that big, heavy 7 1/2 inch .44 under my arm.

Most of them carried J-frames or 2 1/2 inch Model 66s to match our
issued Model 66s.

The Redhawk was traded in on a new Series 80 Combat Commander
(also my first semi-auto) but the imprint of the Redhawk was set.

So, fast forwarding...I spotted a NIB 45/45 ACP one a few months ago.

Thought about dropping some plastic for it.

Went to the bank machine the next morning, then found out
that it sold that day prior.

Other guns took my money, i.e a trio of MOD 2 pistols..but those
45/45 Redhawks are truly nice guns.

I believe that a Match Champion .357 or a 45/45 ACP Blackhawk might
be in the contest to get my gun money as well.

If we had all the money to buy the guns we wanted or needed..
I think that would take the fun out of the search and finally landing
a nice new or used gun.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I've got the Super Redhawk in 454/45 and I really like it. People were telling me horror stories about the massive recoil, but I really don't find it that bad. It will rattle some windows, though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
In my opinion, there is nothing more imposing than a large frame big bore revolver staring back at ya.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Nice ruger but don't forget the crude build up in the chamber from shooting the shot acp based cartridges . Great pistol and cartridge for home rolled ammo . Easy to get 45acp softball velocity with 45 colt cowboy loads or exceed 460 rwoland loads with the "ruger only" loads up to 400gr with out the same concerns guys deal with when shoot shorter brass in longer chambers !! . Forget and a chamber can be blown .

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Nice....I have the .44mag RH with a 5.5 inch barrel. I find it strange that the Redhawks that I have seen are not quite as well
finished as the Super Blackhawks or Blackhawks...My SA Rugers are all finished very nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Enjoy !!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Old thread I know but I just discovered this revolver and I really like it! Going right to the top of the wish list! :wink:

Reactions: OD* and Kilowatt3

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, if I had the money, one would be resting with my other Rugers.

I'd shoot mostly .45 ACP in it, unless I ventured into Bear country.

Maybe after tax return time.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, if I had the money, one would be resting with my other Rugers.

I'd shoot mostly .45 ACP in it, unless I ventured into Bear country.

Maybe after tax return time.
Accuracy does suffer some with 45 ACP, as well as there being a pretty good POI shift at 25 yards. As an update the gun did need to go back to Ruger after I shot it a couple of times because the cylinder wouldn't close. Turned out that the endshake was to tight (so the tech report said) and so they must of taken some off the crane/yoke. When I got it back the endshake was then pretty sloppy so I ended up putting in some power custom shims and now it has about .002 of endshake. I was also pretty displeased because they managed to mar up the finish in a couple of places so that I had to go over the whole gun with 2000 grit sand paper to blend it all back in since this gun has a "brushed" finish. So overall I have been a little unhappy with everything considering the $900 price tag, but it is now working well.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Iwas able to handle one today.

couldn't pull the trigger in DA very well due to my CT syndrome in both wrists.

Was gatefull that I had my RUGER CMD in 9mm to go to the range with and
shoot after being brutalized by my LCR in .327 Magnum and those 100 gr.
American Eagle rounds.

Might think about a WC GP100 in blued or stainless...

A person can shoot most any 38, 38+P or .357 Magnum load out of a
GP100 with comfort.

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
Question for Those Who Have One

Resurrecting this oldish thread with a question for anyone who has acquired one of these...

Anyone happen to know if the Ruger accepts the same moon clips as a Colt M1917? I have not come across the exact cylinder dimensions for either gun, so dunno if my M1917 moon clips would fit the Redhawk. Seems that they're bound to be real close, but just wondered if anyone has actually used the same clips in both.

TIA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts