Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a Sport Afield 36 gun safe....my guns with scopes are tight in there. I really like the safe but did not realize how difficult it is to get guns into it. Does anyone have any tips for storing guns in safes so it doesn't feel so cramped? Already got the pistol rods clipped on the shelf, it has a door storage for pistols as well. As far as a lager safe this one fits perfect in my closet so that is why I want to stick with it.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Since the scopes are "fatter" than the rifle barrel, can alternate the guns with the scope side facing the back of the safe and then one with the scope side facing the door of the safe? I don't know is this is doable, but it could possibly save some space. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Get a second safe.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Get a second safe.
This would be "MY FIRST CHOICE"! 😂 Well, depending on the mounting of the scope, you can place them in the safe "muzzle down". I did this with a few of my rifle's to "help increase my storage area". It's been recommended in the past. It help's to keep rifles with wood stocks, from accumulating any "excess oil" from continually seeping into the stock, and weakening it. Of course, I used a "small foam pad" to cushion the crown area. And checked bore, when removed for shooting. Like I say, "STRICTLY A SAFE" storage alternative! @gwenhobard welcome to the forum, from Texas.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
This would be "MY FIRST CHOICE"! 😂 Well, depending on the mounting of the scope, you can place them in the safe "muzzle down". I did this with a few of my rifle's to "help increase my storage area". It's been recommended in the past. It help's to keep rifles with wood stocks, from accumulating any "excess oil" from continually seeping into the stock, and weakening it. Of course, I used a "small foam pad" to cushion the crown area. And checked bore, when removed for shooting. Like I say, "STRICTLY A SAFE" storage alternative! @gwenhobard welcome to the forum, from Texas.
I find most of the oil ends up in the action. Based on shotguns.

Reactions: Sister and Pete63

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I store my scoped rifles with the muzzle down and it does seem to help. Another option to consider would be to purchase a cheap gun cabinet to secure your cheaper guns in and then secure the more valuable firearms in the safe. You can add insurance to help compensate if there were a loss. Obviously if there are children in the house then you will need to make sure whatever you added would keep them safe.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
I store my scoped rifles with the muzzle down and it does seem to help. Another option to consider would be to purchase a cheap gun cabinet to secure your cheaper guns in and then secure the more valuable firearms in the safe. You can add insurance to help compensate if there were a loss. Obviously if there are children in the house then you will need to make sure whatever you added would keep them safe.
(y) I did that too! When "TWO safes" weren't enough, I got this. Not a safe, but it is secure enough for some of my items. Price was right, for what I wanted, & it's so full now, it won't be carried off! Quick access for stuff I'm using all the time (I can lock up my "bump in the night item's if I run errands & such).

300748574_usn.jpg

·
Registered
34,695 Posts
If my son would move his guns to his safe, I'd have lots of room in my safe.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
If my son would move his guns to his safe, I'd have lots of room in my safe.
PM me his email address, as I'm dying for you to blow some money on "new guns", you're saving from purchasing "Christmas Cards"!🎄

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
34,695 Posts
PM me his email address, as I'm dying for you to blow some money on "new guns", you're saving from purchasing "Christmas Cards"!🎄
I send gun dealers Christmas cards; they send me guns. They know a good deal when they see one.

Reactions: Pete63 and G26Raven

·
Registered
34,695 Posts
What a good dad you are!
What happened was when he was going to Denmark for a couple of years, he put his safe in storage and bought a new, bigger one to ship to my house because he didn't trust the gov't to safeguard his guns in storage. Now he has his old safe at his new place but hasn't bothered to set it up and move his guns. Or his military gear. Or his DoS gear. Or...

Since I needed a safe, I paid him for his and took that expense off his table. What until he gets the OV storage fee

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
That's an interesting storage solution. I can see how it would help to get more guns in a given area, but I think it would also make access to those guns a bit more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
I remove the bolts from bolt guns, and store some long guns muzzle-down. This gave me room to store a few more, but it's a stop-gap measure until I can afford a bigger safe.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Safes are like barns. I have a 48 gun safe that is too small, and was so shortly after we had it installed. I also have a 30 x 50 pole barn that became too small several days after it was finished. Safe solution is easy, get another safe. Barn solution is also easy. Either add on or build another one. The problem lies in the fact that barns are expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
I remove the bolts from bolt guns, and store some long guns muzzle-down. This gave me room to store a few more, but it's a stop-gap measure until I can afford a bigger safe.
A vicious cycle, "that feels good"! 😉

Reactions: Henry9008

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Another vote for a second safe. Always good to store some ammo in a safe, and of course a bunch of other stuff. You never have enough safe room.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts

I just looked in my safe and sure enough, I have a couple bolts removed from their respective rifles. Like you, I am planning a bigger and better safe than the one I currently have. Wife and I may move in a couple years, so I may hold off until after the move.

I also like the idea of the Rigid storage box for certain things.....good idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts