Defensive Carry banner

New safety in PT1911, have question

962 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  automatic slim 
#1 ·
I had a gunsmith install anew safety on my PT1911 because I did not like the ambi. safety that came on it. He installed a WC right hand safety on it for me. When I picked it up I noticed the safety wasn't all the way up, tried it...wouldn't go all the way up. I had to pull the hammer beyond full cock and hold it, then push the safety up to lock it in. It appears to work fine can't make it fire on safe, passes the function tests etc. Question is: Is it OK to leave it this way?

If no, I'll need to find a new gunsmith, cause when I showed it to him he said the lock in the hammer was blocking the safety from going up? I'm guessing he did npt fit the safety, just dropped it in, and maybe doesn't know how to fit it.

#2 ·
you can't put the safety on unless the hammer is cocked,if your saying that with the hammer cocked the safety will not go up unless you pull the hammer back farther then the safety is not fitted properly

#3 ·
no, you misunderstood/I wasn't clear. I have to cock the hammer and then pull it back even more. The safety won't engage at "normal" full cock.

Anywho, heard from real gunsmith shortly ago, know what I need to do now.

#6 ·
He didn't fit it right.

FWIW, Wilson has stated that their parts are not intended for Taurus 1911s. That's because the early guns (and maybe the current guns) had hammers, triggers, safetys and sears that were made to non-1911 specs. I've heard that has changed with the newer guns. I don't know for sure.

Take your gun back and have it fixed.

#7 ·
He didn't fit it right.

FWIW, Wilson has stated that their parts are not intended for Taurus 1911s. That's because the early guns (and maybe the current guns) had hammers, triggers, safetys and sears that were made to non-1911 specs. I've heard that has changed with the newer guns. I don't know for sure.

Take your gun back and have it fixed.

I just installed a Wilson Tactical on my pt1911....took a little bit of work, but it fits and functions.

#9 ·
Disassemble the gun,and remove the grip safety, reinstall the safety without the beavertail in place, this way you will be able to see the safety/ sear interface. You should be able to see the part of the safety that is not fitted correctly. Now if you feel up to it (its not a truly hard operation) carefully file down the safely until it works correctly. I've done this numerous times and have yet to ruin a safety. Save yourself a trip to the smith. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions.

#10 ·
I've fitted many thumb safeties to 1911's, most of them WC. On extremely rare ocassions a safety will drop in without fitting, but rarely will it function properly. Fitting is not difficult, but you do have to exercise patience, caution and a lot of fitting, filing, fitting, you get the idea. If you decide to do it yourself, examine the cut on the old safety and try to duplicate it. I sometimes used a magnifying glass to see precisely how the parts were fitting together.
One test you should try on a newly installed safety, is to cock the hammer, engage the safety, pull the trigger and then disengage the safety. If the hammer falls, you have a potential disaster on your hands. Of course try this with an UNLOADED gun. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.