Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I happen to live in one of the most rugged and potentially dangerous states in the union known as Alaska, it is almost a necessity to have some sort of firearm while out seeing Alaska and all that it has to offer preferably something bigger than a 9mm and especially bigger than .22. Some people still opt for bear spray which is understandable. I have a canister of the stuff on hand as well.

Some years ago I bought a Glock 20SF and had planned on using it as my woods gun because the 10mm Auto round peaked my interest after learning what it was capable of and just how popular it is among outdoors enthusiasts here. I'm not a huge fan of revolvers even though the common recommendation for any powerhouse handgun would be a revolver. I've had a lot more practice with semi autos anyway. For awhile I used a shotgun but carrying a long gun everywhere while hiking, fishing, or even camping is a pain in the rear. Unfortunately after only owning that Glock 20SF for maybe a couple months I sold it to cover other expenses. I went back to using a shotgun with Brenneke slugs as my bear gun of choice.

Now that I've managed a more steady income I finally got around to buying another Glock 20 only this time its a Gen 4 model which I honestly prefer over the Gen 3. My local gun dealer recommended Buffalo Bore 200 grain FMJ for a bear load and I was to be honest quite nervous about firing these rounds. I knew they wouldn't be nearly as painful to shoot as a full 500 S&W but I at least figured they'd have a bit more recoil than .45 ACP. I went out today to try out my potential new sidearm for the woods and as expected it worked like a Glock should. I fired 150 rounds of Remington UMC 180 grain FMJ, 20 rounds of Hornady 180 grain JHP, and 20 rounds of the Buffalo Bore 200 grain that I was nervous about trying. I must say as physically weak as I am was pleasantly surprised the Buffalo Bore rounds were not bad at all. It felt like I was shooting a .45 but with a little more snap thrown in. I could feel it in my hand more than the 180 grain loads but not bad at all. I'm not nearly as accurate with 10mm as I am with 9mm but still I can at least hit a milk jug sized target at 10 yards.

I don't consider the Glock 20 to be the ultimate woods pistol but it is what works best for me as far as something that'll get the job done when I need it to and easier to carry than a 12 gauge shotgun.

I picked up a Blackhawk Spec Ops drop leg holster to carry it in too which is by far the best drop leg rig I've tried!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
A milk jug at 10 yards? With all due respect my friend, practice, PRACTICE...PRACTICE! :yup:

Reactions: G-man* and Stevew

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I have always thought if I lived in Alaska and was around where bears frequent I would want a very substantial pistol or revolver. If it's a standard pistol, 10mm with the highest capacity magazine available seems like a logical choice. If it's a revolver, maybe I could get by with a .44 Mag.

It might seem like a crazy idea but I thought, why not go a step further and go for an AR pistol? It. would seem like a 10.5" barreled pistol chambered for .300 ACC Blackout has the benefit of a .30 cal rifle but legal as a pistol. Unlike a rifle, it could be converted to a rifle by adding a stock.

Anyone use and AR pistol for hunting anything?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If I lived in Alaska, in an area outside the city, I'd carry my 629 ...24/7...
same as I do in any other woods area.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I think that a 10 mm Glock would make excellent woods gun in Alaska! For most places West of the Mississippi in the lower 48 I would be comfortable with a .40 Glock or .357 mag. That being said I carried a a Ruger Single Six in .22 mag as my woods wandering gun in the remote mountains of Western NC and never felt under gunned. YMMV:image035:

Reactions: G-man* and jstert

·
Registered
428 Posts
Let me be the outlier here. If I lived up in Alaska for doing any kind of outdoor stuff, e.g. fishing, hiking etc. at minimum I would have with me is a Marlin 45/70 purely for 'Counter Measures'. In and around town 45LC, 44Mag, or 480 Ruger for the same 'Counter Measures'... YMMV...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A milk jug at 10 yards? With all due respect my friend, practice, PRACTICE...PRACTICE! :yup:
Yeah I do need more practice especially with 10mm, it just won't be nearly as much as I've had with 9mm due to the cost of ammo and I don't have the equipment or the room for reloading so its pretty much buying factory ammo when I can. Even still a Glock 20 is easier to shoot for me than a big double action .44 Magnum revolver.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me be the outlier here. If I lived up in Alaska for doing any kind of outdoor stuff, e.g. fishing, hiking etc. at minimum I would have with me is a Marlin 45/70 purely for 'Counter Measures'. In and around town 45LC, 44Mag, or 480 Ruger for the same 'Counter Measures'... YMMV...
I hear great things about the 45/70 for wildlife protection, although it generally comes in the form of a long gun which again isn't always easy to carry while trying to do other tasks. I live in Anchorage which is Alaska's largest city and usually I carry a Glock 19 concealed in town. Perhaps if I lived in a more rural town then I'd probably open carry something bigger.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
In Anchorage I'd be ok with a nine. Out fishing or hunting... Bear spray and BIG darn handgun or a friend with a long gun :gah:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I hear great things about the 45/70 for wildlife protection, although it generally comes in the form of a long gun which again isn't always easy to carry while trying to do other tasks. I live in Anchorage which is Alaska's largest city and usually I carry a Glock 19 concealed in town. Perhaps if I lived in a more rural town then I'd probably open carry something bigger.
Ok, I thought in your original post you were looking for an option for a woods gun? Sorry about throwing in the statement about the big bore revolvers. But yea, if I was an avid outdoor sportsman, Naturalist or whatever I'll stick with that 45/70. Weighs in at I believe 7.5 to 8#'s and easy enought to throw over your shoulder with a shoulder strap but as mentioned before YMMV. Ballistically you are throwing out a slug that doubles the weight of the 10mm in a 45 caliber dimension with a with energy that equals a ton, the 10mm with the hottest loads pales in comparison. Don't know about you but I'm not a risk taker. When it comes up to big Buins and there is better choice of weapons out there I'll take them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought Illinois was one of the most dangerous states.
No more dangerous than Mississippi... I used to live out in WA State which has Cougar, Moose, Elk and Grizzlies. I had also watched on T.V. many years ago a documentary about 3 hunters, 2 were killed, one partially eaten the third survived. The hunter that survived said he unloaded his 30 caliber hunting rifle. Not sure what caliber maybe 06 or 300 Win, 338 Rem Mag pick your poison, the hunter just said 30 caliber. Anyway, the hunter unloaded on the Charging Bruin and it didn't faze the aninmal. I saw this on TV many many years ago probably 6 or 8 years ago. I may not have the exact specifics but the bottom line is the outcome.

I used to own a G20 years ago. For Self Defense and taking deer or your feral hog down where you live is probably fine but when you have your healthy Grizzly tipping the scales of over 1000 pounds, you'll quickly realize how small that 10mm is.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Way to go on a Glock 20, I like them so much, I had to buy another. I live in bear country also, my carry load is a 180 gr Hornady XTP going about 1300 fps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It seems every time I read about folks wanting a gun for bears the main keyword is "penetration." I came across a video on the extreme penetrator 10mm bullet on YouTube in a Glock 40. Not sure you can get much more penetration than that. I don't hear much about folks trying that. Not sure why. Seems like it would tear right thru bear fat.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My woods carry dilemma is a Ruger sp101 .357 loaded with Buffalo Bore 158gr @ ~1475fps....or....a Glock 19 loaded with 147gr Speer Gold Dots @ ~985fps.

The biggest factor for me is 5 shots and relatively slow reloading vs 15 shots and extremely fast reloading. I've recently been keeping the .357 in my backpack and the Glock on my side :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
428 Posts
My woods carry dilemma is a Ruger sp101 .357 loaded with Buffalo Bore 158gr @ ~1475fps....or....a Glock 19 loaded with 147gr Speer Gold Dots @ ~985fps.

The biggest factor for me is 5 shots and relatively slow reloading vs 15 shots and extremely fast reloading. I've recently been keeping the .357 in my backpack and the Glock on my side :comeandgetsome:
Do you have Grizzlies in Colorado? I know you got your share of Cats and I'm not talking House Cats. :blink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts