Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new addition to my fleet: Sig P320 Compact 9mm.

I purchased this gun from my LGS for $566.00. It has a unique model designation: W320C-9-BSS-PRE. The owner of my LGS said it was part of an over-run for a large LE order. The invoice says "L.E. Tolerance", whatever that means. The only information I could find in my online research is that on "PRE" models, the barrel is individually fitted to the slide, and is not interchangeable. So I guess the only benefit of this might be slightly better accuracy, which is meaningless to me, as the gun, even in standard form, is much more accurate than I am. The "non-interchangeable" part is also not a disadvantage to me as I will never put enough rounds through the gun to wear out the barrel. Any Sig experts please feel free to reply if you are familiar with this and if I am missing something.

Anyway, the gun came with 3 mags instead of the normal 2 mags, and it has the SigLite Night Sights. Overall, I feel I got a pretty good deal considering what I paid.

I took it to the range for the first time and ran app. 150 rounds through it, a combination of Speer Lawman 124gr. FMJ range fodder, and Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. +P HP, which is one of my favored carry rounds. It ran 100%, no malfunctions of any kind.

The gun was dead-nuts accurate out of the box, but does require a #3 sight picture. The trigger is good, but not great. Short take-up and fairly crisp release, but a little heavier than I had hoped for (I hope the "PRE" designation LE Tolerance model doesn't mean it has a heavy LE trigger..). Roughly equivalent to my Glock 19. I do prefer the trigger feel of the Sig over the Glock, as I much prefer the single lever trigger of the Sig over the Glock "Safe Action" trigger with the dongle in the middle. I do enjoy shooting this gun more than my Glock, because of the more comfortable grip angle (for me, anyway). Shooting from the reset is great!

Overall, this gun is a keeper, and will be an important part of my carry rotation, probably winning favored status over my Glock 19.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I am guessing maybe it is just a LEO model gun with 3 not 2 mags

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Hopefully is was not LE pistol meant for a state with heavier trigger requirements but you might be better off asking sigs CS about the PRE designator and serial number .

Try to find a trigger pull gauge if you can . Stock new triggers tends be closer to 7lbs . Does not feel it but 6.5 to 7lbs is typical . 5lb take up 2 lbs extra to fire . may settle a 1/2lb lower after a few hundred rounds down range but still an accurate shooter and a great defensive trigger . The recoil spring is the same as used in the 357sig and 40sw so you might find some 115gr soft loads my not cycle reliably till you get a few hundred rounds down range .

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Always nice to get a new toy.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Great gun. I just picked up mine from my LGS. Mine in 9mm with a full size slide on the compact frame. No pics yet.

Any signs of hand fitting on the barrel or FCU? I'd like to see what they did. IF they did work on the FCU, it may cause issues down the road with conversion kits. I always thought LEO guns were the same as their commercial counterparts unless a different trigger weight was specified.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
P320 is a great platform indeed. I have several of them in .40 and 9. My favorite is the full size 40, though I carry the Compact 40 more. I don't use the 9's, but keep them in reserve, for a rainy day.

These are quite like the M&P line which, for me, just nudge a hair past my P320s as top choice in defense pistols. Either is a great choice.

P320 Full Size .40S&W - I love how softly and accurately this thing shoots!

·
Registered
898 Posts
For months now I seen a lot of your guy here talk about the sig here . So I guess I'm going to have to make the jump but I think I want a compact

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully is was not LE pistol meant for a state with heavier trigger requirements but you might be better off asking sigs CS about the PRE designator and serial number .

Try to find a trigger pull gauge if you can . Stock new triggers tends be closer to 7lbs . Does not feel it but 6.5 to 7lbs is typical . 5lb take up 2 lbs extra to fire . may settle a 1/2lb lower after a few hundred rounds down range but still an accurate shooter and a great defensive trigger . The recoil spring is the same as used in the 357sig and 40sw so you might find some 115gr soft loads my not cycle reliably till you get a few hundred rounds down range .
I took your advice and reached out to SIG Customer Service. According to the rep I spoke with the "W" prefix means that it was a LE order, the "PRE" designation stands for "Pre-tensioned Slide & Barrel", which means that the gun was built with "tighter lock-up" and "tighter tolerances", which would have been specified by the LE agency placing the original order. I asked the rep about the trigger. He looked up the original build sheet for my gun based on the serial number. According to that, my gun has a completely stock trigger and fire control group.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Interesting comment on an agency specifying tighter tolerances. I can't imagine why they would make such a request. The build quality on regular production models is admirably snug and well fit and the accuracy is excellent. Makes me wonder what the agency's objective might have been?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting comment on an agency specifying tighter tolerances. I can't imagine why they would make such a request. The build quality on regular production models is admirably snug and well fit and the accuracy is excellent. Makes me wonder what the agency's objective might have been?
I asked the rep what the advantage or benefit of the tighter tolerance and lock-up would be, and he didn't know, just that it would have been requested by the agency placing the order.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I asked the rep what the advantage or benefit of the tighter tolerance and lock-up would be, and he didn't know, just that it would have been requested by the agency placing the order.
Yeah... kind of sounds like unicorn chasing.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I'm interested in what they did to achieve it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Id rather have loser tolerances than tighter on a duty gun, buts that's me.
My thought exactly. Tighter tolerances is not something I'd ask for in a recent manufacture gun. The tolerances are often almost too tight already.
bubbatime and drmordo... Yep.... I agree.

I can't imagine that asking SIG to make tolerances even tighter than they were originally designed to be would result in a change in reliability other than "less."

And I have to wonder... just what "tolerances" were to be made "tighter"?

Interesting that even a SIG representative can't speculate as to what difference there my be in a "PRE" specified model.

shike... I wouldn't be too concerned, however. I'm thinking that your pistol will likely run right along with a standard P320. If there is a difference, I'm thinking it is insignificant.

Reactions: hardluk1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bubbatime and drmordo... Yep.... I agree.

I can't imagine that asking SIG to make tolerances even tighter than they were originally designed to be would result in a change in reliability other than "less."

And I have to wonder... just what "tolerances" were to be made "tighter"?

Interesting that even a SIG representative can't speculate as to what difference there my be in a "PRE" specified model.

shike... I wouldn't be too concerned, however. I'm thinking that your pistol will likely run right along with a standard P320. If there is a difference, I'm thinking it is insignificant.
I agree with all of your comments. In a duty gun, it would seem that looser tolerances would be preferable to tighter tolerances for the sake of reliability, and being less prone to malfunction. I'm not concerned, as I am really easy on my guns and am anal about cleaning, lube and maintenance, and I know that if I ever have any issues, Sig will take care of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts