Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
After you log on, you can click on the three dots to the right of your avatar and select "Light Mode" or "Dark Mode". Light mode is with the stark white background. Dark Mode is with a dark gray background and white script. I much prefer the Dark Mode.
I can't read the dark mode at all. It hurts my eyes big time. However a lot of people on the other forums have favored the dark mode. And you can set the contrast on your monitor to dim that bright white background somewhat. Of course, doing that will also lower the contrast on every web page you visit.

ETA: Isn't this neat? We are already joining together to answer some of the main gripes that people have had when the others made the change!

I ALSO WANT TO ADD: There will be no such thing as new threads or posts you have made. It is ALL called conversations now. I think this is also changing the forum format to look and act like a smart phone - just one of the things I find infuirating to my old brain.

And yes, I agree that it is STERILE, especially since now all the headers look alike across all the forums. Minor variations only.

·
Administrator
1,499 Posts
I can't read the dark mode at all. It hurts my eyes big time. However a lot of people on the other forums have favored the dark mode. And you can set the contrast on your monitor to dim that bright white background somewhat. Of course, doing that will also lower the contrast on every web page you visit.
Although I don't yet have an ETA on this, the developers are working on a 3rd option for us. Likely "grey" to start out with.

Isn't this neat? We are already joining together to answer some of the main gripes that people have had when the others made the change!
Which is exactly why I am here.

There will be no such thing as new threads or posts you have made. It is ALL called conversations now. I think this is also changing the forum format to look and act like a smart phone - just one of the things I find infuirating to my old brain.
General "conversations" is referring to private messages on that platform.

For those of you who are interested, in the drop-down menu below the 3 dots in the upper right-hand corner of the sites you are looking at with this platform there is a link to the FAQs.

That being said, all y'all will have me when this goes live to help you with anything and everything related to the site, even if ya don't bring me a cold drink. :vs_cocktail:

Don't worry about it until we get there.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I hope this change won't be like unplugging the ventilator in order to save electricity. :wink:

·
Administrator
1,499 Posts
I hope this change won't be like unplugging the ventilator in order to save electricity. :wink:
I have been using the new platform for just over a year now and have been there to help folks learn to use the new features.

During that time, this is what I have found.

In the first 30 days the activity drops for a bit while members adjust to the change.

Somewhere between 60 - 90 days I have watched the activity increase over previous levels and the community begins to actually grow and thrive.

Hang in there with me. :vs_peek:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
You sound reassuring, Cricket. The 'new" S&W forum looks like a sterile desert; I can't figure out how it works, and quit going there. Guess we'll just have to "take our medicine" and see.

·
Administrator
1,499 Posts
You sound reassuring, Cricket. The 'new" S&W forum looks like a sterile desert; I can't figure out how it works, and quit going there. Guess we'll just have to "take our medicine" and see.
I won't leave you hanging. I will be here to teach you. I promise.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
3,951 Posts
There you go getting all girly on us.
Perhaps a "Hallmark" button for Jeanlouise!
You know I'm just funnin ya girlfriend.
Another forum I was on used them and it was a great communicator...since the only way we communicate is through words or emoticons on the internet.

·
Registered
926 Posts
As long as my 56K modem will still be compatible .... I’m happy.

If you can do something about the loud “SCREEEEEETCHING” while you’re at it .... “that would be great”

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

If you can do something about the loud “SCREEEEEETCHING” while you’re at it .... “that would be great”
If you're talking about the racket that the modem makes when negotiating the connection, just add the appropriate code to the modem initialization string that will turn off the speaker. I'm surprised that anyone still uses an analog modem.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
891 Posts
I didn't realize there was a Smith and Wesson Forum and also a Smith & Wesson Forum. I stumbled on the one linked here once and thought the other one was down for repairs since it was so "different". I tried the dark side thing and it helps some.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
This will work the same way. Hopefully Cricket can walk you through enough of the frustrations so you can learn to use the new system AND even go back to the S&W forum. You are missed over there....except for the usual couple of snarky comments. There seem to have to be a couple like that on every forum, don't there?

·
Registered
188 Posts

Place a M0 in your init string after the AT

41 - 60 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.